Dratz! Did it again... What mistake you keep repeating?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

antoniocapo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Dratz! Did it again... What mistake you keep repeating?

Post by antoniocapo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 am

For me is forgetting im not the first player to act in a turn. So i see rainy weather and i send all my planes to bases to refuel and some to recon dangerous places i know an AA might be nearby. Then next turn, to my horror, its clear but im not the first one to act. All my artillery gets blown to pieces by enemy air and my planes burst into flames from AA. This just happened to me on turn 9 Gates of Berlin...again :oops:

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: Dratz! Did it again... What mistake you keep repeating?

Post by Tarrak » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:37 am

I keep moving a plane i intend not to use anymore, because it's to badly damaged and i can afford to not use it anymore, instead to an airfield to the neighboring city and then of course as i never check on it again it crashes due to lack of fuel. Of course i realize it only when i try to deploy said plane in the next scenario and in 99% of my cases my last save game is at the start of the previous scenario. I gave up on counting how often i had to replay a scenario due to this. :P

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:01 am

I often forget to give units new ammo in non-front line areas - when an enemy comes from the side, I often lose a city!

- BNC
Creator of American Civil War mod for Strategic Command WWI!
Discuss here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4504986
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tj4t11z3ttl142w/SCACW.zip/file

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:05 pm

I often move planes by accident and when they spot something you can't undo anymore.

Stmcla
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Stmcla » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:37 pm

I often forget to reinforce a unit at the deployment phase and only realise a few turns in. I either have to restart or play on with a half decent unit.

I have got much better at making a secure front line but occasionally an enemy unit sneaks through to attack one of my more vulnerable units, usually round a flank through a load of rough terrain that I didn't think passable.

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Stmcla wrote:I often forget to reinforce a unit at the deployment phase and only realise a few turns in.
It's a relief to know I'm not the only one wondering what knocked 3 strength off a unit before I'd even moved.
Luckily I was still in Poland at the time and could cope with two infantry units starting at 9 strength.

My most frustrating mistake is accidental bad screening of truck mounted units. Ideally the defensive screen deploys and the trucks roll up behind. Sometimes for reasons of positioning the units you need to move the trucks first. Which is fine until you find that one or more of the screening unit(s) don't have enough movement to get ahead of the trucks and have to sit behind the trucks watching them get minced when the enemy jumps on them. Ouch!

And for a one-off, but very painful, mistake I once miscounted the length of the line and left a 3-hex gap between units in a defensive screen in Tatsinskiya (one of the nastier East scenarios). The AI poured through what felt like thirty 3* T34s and wiped out most of my veteran artillery and AA units before I could round them up and destroy them. I don't normally restart, but this was too much damage to recover from. I blame the general.

Longasc

Post by Longasc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 pm

I just played Norway and well, I too often click "transport" and then curse that I cannot undo that move. Disembarked/embarked several times for nothing.
Also nasty: There was only 1 railroad transport in Norway, so I clicked for another unit... and got a naval transport instead. :(

antoniocapo

Post by antoniocapo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:31 am

So many mistakes mentioned that i have a done a lot. Im starting to consider saving after every move instead of at the start of each turn :mrgreen:

sn0wball
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by sn0wball » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 am

Break up the formation to move the army faster, scout too far ahead.

sn0wball

Post by sn0wball » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:57 am

Leave an artilery unit unprotected.

Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Muddy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:26 am

After finishing my maneuvers, I always click through the next unit button to make sure I haven't forgot anyone. My worst mistake is playing when I am tired, you can lose some good units due to fatigue.

antoniocapo

Post by antoniocapo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:29 pm

Muddy wrote:After finishing my maneuvers, I always click through the next unit button to make sure I haven't forgot anyone. My worst mistake is playing when I am tired, you can lose some good units due to fatigue.
I always do the next unit button twice before hitting the end turn, cures a lot of recurring mistakes.

And playing past bedtime is the worst, lost a couple units, went to bed and had what seemed an eternity of nightmares.

Anfield
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Anfield » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:58 pm

I have two things that piss me off, first is forgetting to get a plane to an air field when low on fuel and losing it. Which normally happens when you have a massive attack and just about all your airpower is there, thats normally when it happens.

Second is very much related to above, get my troops all in postion for a big attack, and then find most of the artillery is down to 2 rounds!! Which just delays the attack a turn as I need to resupply them, but that one really ticks me off!! :evil:
Last edited by Anfield on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timek28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by timek28 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:28 pm

On the top of the list is probably playing while tired or not concentrated enough. IMO it is better playing 5 quality turns and getting a break then playing until exhausted and having bad turns. Concentrated effort can make a huge difference in terms of outcome and prestige saving. Especially with exceptionally large cores (such as in LoV mod ~ 60 core units).

With the amount of playing time I have drastically reduced silly mistakes. Although some happen here and there, esp. if I fall off and become lazy to protect tanks and artillery with AA or to protect bombers with fighters (esp. late in the scenario when everything seems going as planed). AI cowardly likes those opportunities to strike (some scenarios are scripted in an evil way - for example: unexpected AI air strikes at one turn before the last).

Anfield

Post by Anfield » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Not really a mistake, but anyone else notice the weather always turns bad right when you need your airpower the most?? :shock:

Stmcla
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Stmcla » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:38 pm

At the end of a turn I use the overview button to see if there are any units I haven't moved, which is a great way of seeing if you have forgotten any planes. However I sometimes then hit the end move button while in overview mode which means I don't get to see the dastardly enemy moves, only the results at the end. Very annoying!

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:15 am

A brand new mistake for me...

Yesterday I was about to set a strategic bomber on one of the Eben Emael fortresses to soften it up before my pioneers had a go, and found that I had forgotten to deploy any air units. Luckily the extra ground forces made up for lack of air force and I managed a DV on the last turn.

jaggy

Post by jaggy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:00 am

captainjack wrote: ... and left a 3-hex gap between units in a defensive screen in Tatsinskiya (one of the nastier East scenarios). The AI poured through what felt like thirty 3* T34s and wiped out most of my veteran artillery and AA units before I could round them up and destroy them.
Different scenario for me but same mistake. Didn't realise there was a gap until enemy tanks sailed through and pounded my artillery units.

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:36 am

Being tired and having a few beers.

That's how I loose a core unit.

Akopian
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Akopian » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:54 am

I move an infantry unit and it switches to using a transport due to terrain and I do not notice until after I start to use something else.

Also, I am good about getting planes to base except the last turn. I get that last victory hex, end the turn early without moving all my planes, comp gets a turn and then sometimes my plane that was low on fuel is gone. Did not know where my plane had gone in a new scenario until I went back to the old one and figured it out.

Return to “Panzer Corps”