Allied Corp help (D Day scenario)

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

jonpfl
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Allied Corp help (D Day scenario)

Post by jonpfl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:00 pm

All,

I am trying to get past the D Day scenario and I am getting my @ss handed to me.

Any advice???

It just seems there is too much armor, aa and artillery to deal with

Thx
jonpfl

antoniocapo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Allied Corp help (D Day scenario)

Post by antoniocapo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:50 am

Its one hard scenario. You need extra artillery and infantry for this one. And dont get your tanks bogged on bocages. Your tanks should be the heavy churchills or fireflys to compete with those german tanks. I played this months ago and cant remember the details but the following beta testing thread might give you a few useful pointers:

viewtopic.php?f=125&t=42314&start=20

edit: also found this AAR on the D-Day scenario (havent watched but should answer your concern :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlmAyFDZ ... e=youtu.be

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:31 am

This is for what I did last time I played DDy.
All my tanks were Churchill crocs by now. I landed four (with defence hero where available) near the bridge objective to the right so that they can protect it the turn after they land (it helps if you have at least one move hero).
As soon as they vacate the landing spots I pile in heavy artillery, so that they have excellent backup. If you have a 4 or 5* strategic bomber you can suppress then toast most of the ground units, and your armour gives good protection against any tanks thrown at you. If possible, pull the paras back so that they can have a go at the town from the top and left hand side.

In the area to the top left of the map I used strategic bombers or naval bombardment to suppress the bunkers and gun batteries followed destruction by engineers and paras (and a Croc if I had one spare ). This removes the long range spotting, so you can dump a lot of air and naval bombardment on the entrenched units so that your infantry and artillery can take them out with relative ease. Once victory is assured, send the navy towards the right hand objectives as the extra bombardment is helpful to strip entrenchment and suppress the town garrison. Paras then fly south or west, while other units catch the train to get near some action quickly.

The main auxiliary paras can usually take out the inland central cluster of troops near where they land , though some arty and air back up helps.

Any central troops clear out mines and shore line units, then tie up the troops to the left of the main town objectives.

Once the combined fleet is available, you should be able to suppress most town garrison units if you concentrate attacks and risk some AA damage to your planes, it is definitely easier if you have some 4 range heavy artillery, or 3 range rocket launchers (Land mattress?) but this is hard to plan for.

I managed to force quite a few surrenders of panthers and other units in the main town, which got rid of them in a single turn rather than over 2 or three. And the surrender prestige allowed me to elite reinforce experienced infantry where needed.

I left a few enemy units untouched and missed a few minor objectives unclaimed, but once I got going, I felt confident of the result and felt that it was just a matter of time. But I agree that a lot of arty and experienced infantry is a good starting point.

Egge
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Egge » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:17 am

In later scenarios Allied airpower is more or less useless as the scenario designers handed out German Flak *very* generously. Enemy AA seems to be everywhere. So, if you bought a lot of air units you have wasted a lot of prestige.
I'd rather buy more tanks and especially artillery. Ari is probably the most important unit. Regarding tanks, Churchills with their insane ground defense are your best bet. You don't need self-propelled ari. You have plenty of time to take your objectives and towed ari generally has better stats.

Use a lot of ari and be patient. I hardly ever attack units that are not completely suppressed.

antoniocapo

Post by antoniocapo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:23 pm

Egge wrote:In later scenarios Allied airpower is more or less useless as the scenario designers handed out German Flak *very* generously. Enemy AA seems to be everywhere. So, if you bought a lot of air units you have wasted a lot of prestige.
I'd rather buy more tanks and especially artillery. Ari is probably the most important unit. Regarding tanks, Churchills with their insane ground defense are your best bet. You don't need self-propelled ari. You have plenty of time to take your objectives and towed ari generally has better stats.

Use a lot of ari and be patient. I hardly ever attack units that are not completely suppressed.
Agreed on artillery, i revisited my load point of D-Day and see that i used 12 artillery units. It was a blast (pun intended :wink: ).

Anfield
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Anfield » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Have to totally disagree about Allied airpower being useless later or even at D-Day, its key if anything. By D-Day you should have least 2-3 Strat Bombers at around 3 stars, which have the power to knock almost all the ammo out of a AA gun on one attack, they do the same against tanks too. Thats a greay way to take the sting out of Tigers and Panthers. Once the AA is out of ammo your Tac Bombers should soften up any German armor ahead of your force.

The last time I played D-Day I had 1 Churchill,1 Firefly, 1 British M10, 2 US M10s and 2 US Shermans.

As for tips on D-Day, id say patience is key to taking Caen. To the west push the US hard to take thier objectives. Once they do, use the train to swing them back towards Caen to support the British troops. As for the British, taking out that big German Gun is key. Hit it with Strat Bombers, youll take the ammo out of it in 2 turns and then take it out. I then drive a firefly and M10 over with a mobil artillery units and sit up there with whatever paras are left, dont attack south yet though. Wait and the Germans will come at you in small amounts that you can handle. Another key is swing as many ships over there are you can, they can give fire support to those units, but some can shell Caen too.

Try to clear the city hexs on your side of the river of german units. Now youll take hits from the artillery on the other side of the river so be ready to rotate fresh artillery in. Now key is dont take the city hexes once you kill the germans. Leave the open. The germans will move troops to fill those hexes, along with attacking your armor para force at the top. So you slowly chew them up as the keep trying to fill the city, and whats best, many times the AI will drive Panther tanks into the city hexes, which will be easy kills for your infantry.

So the key is dont rush, much like the historical D-Day battles, slowly bleed the germans troops to death before you push into Caen. Because like the op said, try to fight them head on, and youll get smashed.

Return to “Panzer Corps”