Panzer Corps on Steam - Success or not?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

impar
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Panzer Corps on Steam - Success or not?

Post by impar » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:56 am

I started playing Panzer Corps again due to the Steam release. Far easier to install everything again.
And bought Afrika Korps in an impulse through Steam.

Was trying to stay away from the forum (as to not post more than play) but was having some doubts regarding AK.

monkspider
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by monkspider » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:01 pm

I agree, Steam has been great. I had some issues with re downloading some of the DLCs through the Plimus system. Now that I have everything registered on Steam it is much easier.

peterw
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by peterw » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Most here seems to like Steam.
But I'm happy I was able to buy Panzer Corps in a store!!! :D

My first (and last) experience with Steam was as following:
I bought TW Empire as DVD version.
For enable to play it I had to register at Steam. At this time Steam forced me to load an update (which I don't wanted). This lasted about an hour, because my slow Internet connection.
OK, after all it worked.

But some days later I was blocked again and was told to go online to Steam again. I decided to play something better (like Panzer Corps) instead of this. :evil:

Now after a HDD crash everything of Steam is deleted; it's OK, I'll will ever try Steam again!
My Italian Panzer Corps campaign Italia Victor!:
http://www.streitmacht.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=53

impar

Post by impar » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:04 am

peterw wrote:My first (and last) experience with Steam was as following:
I bought TW Empire as DVD version.
For enable to play it I had to register at Steam. At this time Steam forced me to load an update (which I don't wanted). This lasted about an hour, because my slow Internet connection.
Empire TW was nearly unplayable at launch. Patches were needed from day one. No point on playing ETW at the sorry state it was released.
peterw wrote:Now after a HDD crash everything of Steam is deleted; it's OK, I'll will ever try Steam again!
Are you saying you have a slow internet connection and didnt used the Steam built-in backup tools to avoid having to download everything again? Why?
I have what I consider a decent internet speed (30Mbps) and still have a Steam backup folder of around 1,5TB-2TB. The next time I want to play an uninstalled game, I just need to copy the game backup folder from the HDD to the proper Steam SSD folder.
A large game, say a TW game, is ready to play in minutes, after the copy and the integrity check, as long as no patch was released between the backup time and when I install again.

impar

Post by impar » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:24 am

Just read this article, check the comments too:
Time to import those old games to digital services?
I decided long ago that owning a game digitally, preferably on Steam, is way, way better than having a physical disc. But I hadn't fully grasped until that moment how completely true that statement is, how much I practically fear the rituals involved in The Old Ways.
http://techreport.com/news/26624/time-t ... l-services
And really, installing a game and keeping it fully patched using "The Old Ways" is a chore.

Dragoon.
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Dragoon. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:51 am

You're really start to appreciate "the old ways" once you don't have access to reliable, fast or for that matter cheap internet. May it be at a firebase in some godforsaken country or the open sea on a sailing trip with your dad. I love PC's and the PS1 for that matter. Just load your CD and start playing anywhere, anytime in the world.

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Digital Distribution Services have undeniably it's advantages but calling patching using "The Old Ways" a chore is wrong nowadays. Usually you just get a message at the start that an update is available with a link you got to click supplied to you. Just download the file and execute it. It's one step more then updating with Steam but with the advantage of me actually deciding if i want the update or not. I know you can turn off automatic updates under Steam as well but then you're back to your "chores" under Steam as well.

impar

Post by impar » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:25 pm

Patching manually is a chore.
Knowing that there is a patch, finding out where to download, making sure that is the lastest one and you have all previous installed, and installing.
And if it is a MP game the last patch is mandatory, a game like TF2 with hundreds of patches would be impossible.

Return to “Panzer Corps”