The Hague Scenario in GC'40

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Vease101
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

The Hague Scenario in GC'40

Post by Vease101 »

Absolutely loving the Grand Campaign, even though I'm not very good I am learning all the time just by playing and resisting the temptation to just reload after a poor (marginal) performance. This is my first time through The Hague scenario and after half a dozen turns it appeared to me that there was no way in hell that the isolated Paratroopers could survive before the relief force gets to them. As the only way to get a DV is to save at least four auxiliary units my 'strategy' then has been to load four of them up in the last surviving airfield and high tail it back to the airfield in the initial deployment area. Is this the right thing to do? I am going to be bogged down taking Rotterdam for a while so should I have just retreated the Paras to the northern part of the city to help with the assault?
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: The Hague Scenario in GC'40

Post by Tarrak »

You can keep them alive without evacuating them. Just group them together around the artillery in defensive terrain and sit it out while your troops move to save them. You may have to invest some prestige in replacements for them tho. I never tried the "hightail home" strategy but if you got enough transport planes available you can try to do it. It's not like the paratroopers are doing any good there except binding a few enemy forces.
fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by fliegenderstaub »

Well, you might have a look at a replay I saved of The Hague. I played it on General difficulty and finished it with a DV on turn 10.

Keeping the Fallschirmjäger units alive usually works, although sometimes I loose one or the other. These guys are much better on offense than on defense, so I try to take an advantage of that. Taking Rotterdam quickly is essential. And beware of the counterattacks. The Fallschirmjäger units around the northernmost airfield are in my opinion endangered most. So try to get through to them as soon as possible.
Attachments
(10.09.2014) Den Haag, Runde 10-g.zip
(68.42 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by hugh2711 »

Have you tried deduter's AAR on youtube?
"...saving four units is trivial..." :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_bOldUPW0

his whole series going up to gc43 is very good
ThorHa
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by ThorHa »

Tarrak wrote:It's not like the paratroopers are doing any good there except binding a few enemy forces.
Quite wrong at least on difficulty setting including Field Marshal, sorry. You can easily use the southern and middle groups to force conquer Rotterdam on turns 1 to 3 AND keep the majority of it alive with a bit airforce help. The northern one should keep the city but abandon the airfield and retreat in a nearby fortification hex. I had a unit strength 9 sit there from turn 3 until the end unmolested, occasionally striking against opportunity targets.

Correctly used the paras speed up the whole map a lot. The Hague is one of the maps where a DV in 2/3 of the allowed turns is no problem without any crippling losses.

Regards,
Thorsten
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

I usually evacuate the northernmost airport by flying those units to the southern one. Cluster around the artillery at the southern one and send a bomber or two to take out any tanks or artillery they attack you with. Paratroopers supported by artillery can hold off infantry attacks indefinitely, even scoring a few kills of their own.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

There's nothing wrong with having the paras run for home - they can then be used to capture outlying cities and help out your main forces. The requirement is to keep the auxiliaries alive, and doesn't say where they should be or what you should do with them in the meantime. They could be very handy for clearing out remote cities or adding weight to an attack somewhere else. Creative solutions can be very effective.

My strategy for the paras is similar to Proline's. Air drop the Northern ones to the gun and camp around the artillery piece,. The Southern ones can hold their airfield for a while and clear out the nearby troops with a small amount of luck but be prepared to head to the artillery cluster if needed. Keep an eye on ammo - especially for the artillery piece which can make four or five defensive shots a turn. With a little planning (and a strategic bomber) you can rack up quite a bit of surrender prestige (while also killing off units quickly) and tie up a lot of AI forces. This is also quite a good way to earn experience for a new strategic bomber.

I usually split my core forces into two main groups - one heads west through the city to link with the paras and the other (the faster units) head up the east side of the map and then hook round the north clearing out the cities on the way and eventually head west to drop down on Rotterdam from the north.

It may not be the best strategy but it works consistently, usually has low casualty rate (unless you have a lack-of-scouting event), and isn't too stressful (I usually have a couple of turns in hand).
Vease101
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Vease101 »

Thanks for all the replies, in the end I didn't get anywhere near The Hague anyway but secured sufficient objectives for a MV. One humorous point was that I airdropped one of the Auxiliary Paras at the rightmost edge of the map, marched them across a bridge and picked off an armoured unit and two infantry units doing suicide attacks from the other side of the river...what a pity they weren't a core unit. Also the AI kept sending a bomber over to hit them which kept it out of the way of my main force :-)
LevV
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LevV »

One of the interesting scenarios of early GC, maybe because i'm particularly interested in airborne troops/warfare :)
On my first blind play-through (FM) the northern team got slaughtered, the two southern teams struggled but survived, and it took me a while for my core to break-through all the obstacles to the Hague and the northern VH. It was quite challenging but if i remember correctly it was still a DV.

My second attempt (FM) was done after reading above suggestions of evacuating northern team, and so i did, and this time was of course easier, DV but couple objects on north left un-captured.

On the third try (FM) i just have finished i decided to paradrop 2 of paras to both central team and northern team (bought 1 para for this specific mission, had 3 already), plus i send two Stukas up north to help defending from armor, and i also bought 7.5 arty to airdrop it to nothern group (but it appeared that there is no deploy hex right on initial airfield, and there are only 4 transports, and by the time nothern airfield was ready to accept incoming arty my flanking pz3 already made it to that area). I spend quite a lot for in-game replacements during hot combats (incl aux paras), but this time seemed the easiest because the AI had his forces spred fighting me all over the map. of course a DV and this time every object is captured. My net result is almost exactly 1000 p after elite replacements for Sedan deploy.

Last game brought me to idea that it is better to advance in min 3-4 directions, with small groups but the good point is that enemy will also have to be scattered and you will not run into everlasting horde on 2 main roads you choose (usually for most scenarious there are 2 most obvious pathes i think)
heinzrondorf
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by heinzrondorf »

It’s funny you bring up this scenario because I just played it the other day myself. I agree it is quite fun, varied and interesting!

I usually follow the same strategy as @proline and @captainjack above and as you did on your second attempt, i.e. evacuating the two northern paras and then positioning them around the artillery piece. I then usually paradrop in two extra Fallschirmjäger to help out until the main force gets there.

This time, since I played on Rommel and wanted to preserve prestige, I decided against converting any Wehrmacht Inf/Gebirgsjäger into Fallschirmjäger so I did not send in any help to the paratroopers apart from my airforce. All my (land) core units instead drove in from the south. I got a DV with quite low in-game replacements but did not manage to clear the entire map.

Your approach seems interesting though. I might try it another time!

Return to “Panzer Corps”