Gustav

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

kanniethexen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Gustav

Post by kanniethexen »

In the battle for Stalingrad in the PzC Wehrmacht campaign a Gustav artillery unit is available as an auxiliary unit. A very useful gun for attacking the fortification and later on the AA's and artilleries behind Stalingrad. Normally auxiliary units that have stars can have overstrength. (Yes I know it is often a waste of prestige.... :D ). The Gustav is a very expensive unit, 7.000 prestige, but it can't get overstrength, despite its 2 stars and more than 5.000 prestige available. Is there a reason for it?
TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Gustav

Post by TSPC37730 »

If you could, would you really want to? Given that the gun has an ammo capacity of 3, you're already only going to be able to use the gun at best 75% of the time (fire on turns 1-3, reload on turn 4, repeat). On top that, you'll wind up losing more time (and therefore opportunities to fire) as you move the unit along railroads from Sevastopol to Stalingrad & then perhaps to other targets. So, even if you waited until the Gustav was empty to over strengthen, you'd get a limited amount of total shots during the scenario. For the first over strength point, you'd have to spend 7000/10 = 700 + I think another 10%. The second over strength point would be even more. So, you'd be looking at spending something like 1500 prestige on a unit that you can't take with you once the scenario is over.

In my opinion, you're better off saving the prestige for the post-Stalingrad battles. Tigers & Panthers are pricey. Good luck.
kanniethexen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by kanniethexen »

I would not overstrength the Gustav, don't worry :D . It's just a theoretical question. I like to know the why's and how's of the design of this battle.
MartyWard
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by MartyWard »

kanniethexen wrote:I would not overstrength the Gustav, don't worry :D . It's just a theoretical question. I like to know the why's and how's of the design of this battle.
I think the base unit is not 10 SP so maybe it is already overstrengthed?
kanniethexen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by kanniethexen »

MartyWard wrote:
kanniethexen wrote:I would not overstrength the Gustav, don't worry :D . It's just a theoretical question. I like to know the why's and how's of the design of this battle.
I think the base unit is not 10 SP so maybe it is already overstrengthed?
No it is 10 SP.
TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 »

Good deal. Perhaps the strength is hard coded in? I don't know. Perhaps one of the moderators or gurus can shed some light on this.

As an aside, I love getting a range hero on an artillery unit. It's nice to hit things from far away. Cheers.
kanniethexen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by kanniethexen »

TSPC37730 wrote:
kanniethexen wrote:As an aside, I love getting a range hero on an artillery unit. It's nice to hit things from far away. Cheers.
I have got a +1 range artillery. Indeed very useful!
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

The Gustav has the "noreplace" trait that's why it can't be overstrengthed by the player in the game. If it ever looses strength below 10 or any other set max strength value, it couldn't be "repaired" with any replacement command either.
It's the same with any building types, V rockets, mines, and some other units. All these traits can be found in the equipment.pzeqp file with the rest of the unit data. There should be some explanations about any of them if you search the forums.
kanniethexen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by kanniethexen »

Thanks Horst. I had searched for "Gustav" in the forums, but not for "noreplace".

Return to “Panzer Corps”