Grand Campaign Order Question

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Kolaris
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Grand Campaign Order Question

Post by Kolaris » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:32 am

I just finished Grand Campaign '40 and I think I'm at a bit of a cross-roads. It seems there are 3 usual ways to proceed?

1. Sea Lion
2. '41 East - '42/'43 West - '44 West - '45 West
3. '41 East - '42 East - '43 East - '44 East - '45 East

I've heard the West and East campaigns are very different, with different requirements of your Core. I've been playing with 20% Prestige thus far, so I only have 23 veteran units and 2.5k Prestige. Which path should I take? I still have '41 East to gear up, but people were saying they had like 60 (!) core units in '42.

And are there any mods that let you jump from East to West to East, possibly without most of your Core being removed if you go West?

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: Grand Campaign Order Question

Post by Razz1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:51 am

Go West.
You need allot of prestige for the East

sn0wball
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sn0wball » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:13 am

Razz1 wrote:Go West.
You need allot of prestige for the East
Or go Sea Lion. But avoid the East unless you are willing to change the campaign settings for more prestige, I second that.

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:35 am

Kolaris wrote:I've heard the West and East campaigns are very different, with different requirements of your Core. I've been playing with 20% Prestige thus far, so I only have 23 veteran units and 2.5k Prestige. Which path should I take? I still have '41 East to gear up, but people were saying they had like 60 (!) core units in '42.
Many people buy a new core unit as soon as the others have reached their experience cap. This gives them a big pool of veteran units for later, when fielding green units is very risky. For GC'41, the core slots for the final scenario=31, and I think the max. number of core slots for later scenarios is around 40, for battles like Oboyan during GC'43 East. Before that, GC'41 East and GC'42 East are still relatively easy, but you might need to tweak the difficulty a bit for GC'43 an later, but this can be done in between scenarios.

The GC West path starts out with a small core and little prestige, but this grows until GC'45 West where you can continue on a historical course or try to defeat the Allies, but this ahistorical path is much more difficult prestige-wise.
And are there any mods that let you jump from East to West to East, possibly without most of your Core being removed if you go West?
The creator of Sea Lion has made a small mod that allows a campaign path from Sea Lion into GC'43 East:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=68018

Kolaris
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Kolaris » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Alright, thanks guys. Think I'll go West.

Bit of a shame since I really enjoyed the challenge of 20% Prestige, but I guess you need to be stockpiling it in times of plenty so you'll have it in times of need.

TSPC37730
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by TSPC37730 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:42 pm

Kolaris wrote:Bit of a shame since I really enjoyed the challenge of 20% Prestige
Playing with a setting of 20% prestige is an impressive way to go. The way that the GC is laid out, however, you just can't go on like that into Russia. Newer units and their replacements get increasingly expensive and not upgrading at some point is not an option. In general your goal should be to continually keep gaining prestige as you move from scenario to scenario. I just don't see how you can keep your corps alive if you don't. While you certainly shouldn't & don't need all of that prestige in '40 & '41 you will need it in the bank later. All of it IMO. Keep saving & good luck!

Sartarius1
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Sartarius1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:48 am

Am i right that you get your core for east or west paths after GC 41?

So after you finish GC 41 you can go east (42 to 45) with your core from GC 41
And after completion of east you can go west (42 to 45) with your core from GC 41

So this paths are different and it doesnt matter which you choose first and there are no crossing such as "core from GC 43 east can go to 44 west or vice a versa?

From my PoV the good path is:

- classic campaign
- GC39
- GC40
- GC41
- GC 42-45 east
- Afrika corps
- GC 42-45 west
- allied corps
- sea lion
- soviet corps

It would be perfect to have GCs for all sides - soviet GC, allies GC as that format hits the right in the sp play - s;lowly developing your army. Though I understand it wont happen, sadly, as it is years of work.

Kolaris
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Kolaris » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Well I was very disappointed with the West campaign. I was ready for small-scale operations, but that lasted all of 3 missions. I have no idea why they strip your Core away only to fill it back up again with Soviet stuff. Conscripts? BA-10s? T-34s? KVs? My Core was more Russian than German after Dieppe.

Going to start it again with my full Core. RIP +3 Attack heroes I got.

TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:40 pm

Kolaris wrote:I have no idea why they strip your Core away only to fill it back up again with Soviet stuff. Conscripts?
This is indeed true & I was a little puzzled by this myself as well. On the other hand, there's no saying you can't upgrade the units you receive to newer & better panzers or sell the unwanted units you receive. You almost need to because you don't seem to get a lot of prestige in the west. Good luck.

hugh2711
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by hugh2711 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:11 am

Kolaris: I find for the west path it is better to disband the foreign units for prestige; i ended up with a completely german

Return to “Panzer Corps”