Panzer Corps Priorities - Your Opinions

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

KarlXII
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Panzer Corps Priorities - Your Opinions

Post by KarlXII »

It seems that the A.I is some sort of encapsulated engine that is very hard to improve upon ? Why is the A.I radius so low ? For example, I never spearhead my advance too far into cities for example because suddenly I "activate" a new echelon of enemy units by coming too close. By circumventing this area I don´t need to fight them at all. I think that is a bad A.I behaviour. Also, enemy units not "activated" will also not participate into trying to recapture victory hexes. Can anyone elaborate more of how the A.I actually works and why in this game ?

One improvement I would like to see, is to easy see a units traits and bonuses. For example is the traits value updated on the unit statistics sidebar ? If so, perhaps showing those number in green which is overstrength ? Also showing the traits with a tooltip would be nice. Now I have to rename every unit gaining a trait to M+1, I+1,A+2 etc so it will be easy for me to see the added bonuses.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

b52pilot1 wrote:It would be great if there were a capability to see exactly what you have left to accomplish in these types of scenario objectives.
I can see how a counter showing how many destroyed or how many remain would be useful, but that can be done already using an in-game message at the end of each turn or at the beginning of each turn.
KarlXII wrote:showing those number in green which is overstrength ? Also showing the traits with a tooltip would be nice.
On a PC (I don't use other devices so can't comment on those) , unit strength is shown in the unit display box on the right of the screen and the more detailed info box with control+ click.

Understanding the base strength of the enemy is important. You can get extra surrender prestige (which is modified by strength when surrendering / base strength) by making units with low base surrender. Also if you face units with a base strength lower than the current strength, they can't be reinforced above the base strength so they are permanently weakened, so if you can only damage a unit rather than destroy it, it will often be more useful damaging the unit with the lower base strength.

I agree that accessing traits would be useful.
KarlXII
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by KarlXII »

What I meant was that it isn´t clear from the unit disply box on the right of the screen if my traits are reflected in the attributes or not. I should not have to remember that tank x have standard soft attack 12 for example.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

KarlXII wrote: I should not have to remember that tank x have standard soft attack 12 for example.
On the PC you can switch on an info screen that shows the unit attributes displayed in the purchase screen. There's room for improvement as it doesn't currently show the unit traits (fortkiller, minekiller etc or RoF) or the hero bonuses, and of these only the hero bonus can be checked in game.
KarlXII
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by KarlXII »

I always use the vertical sidebar with the unit attributes but I am only talking about all traits that improves either attack, initiative, movement, defense or spotting. Those bonuses are not easily accessed when moving/attacking.
peterw
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by peterw »

My wishes:

- To help writing mods I would like that all files work in the Mods folder; actually it's restricted (efx.pzdat..., other examples see my mod "Italia Victor!")

- Bridge unit which can act as bridges over canals (actually only rivers are possible).

- Tiles of shallow water are actually missing in the editor; deep water tiles are used, if you generate the tiles. You can use shallow water nevertheless, but without own tiles it's difficult for the players.

- Normal upgrade of ships (in harbors or between scenarios); actually it's not possible.

- Flag "minekiller" for ships (actually only "minesweeper" works).
Last edited by peterw on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Italian Panzer Corps campaign Italia Victor!:
http://www.streitmacht.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=53
billmv44
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by billmv44 »

b52pilot1 wrote:A few other things that just popped in my head as I was playing:

1) Do not allow certain heroes to be assigned to certain unit types. This already occurs in some instances (i.e. range heroes cant be assigned to most unit classes). But it still needs some refining. The best example is a spotting hero should not be assigned to artillery...unless an improvement in spotting actually provides some benefit like improved suppression. Arty units are rarely at the leading edge of the battle formations and spotting heroes provide no real benefit to the artillery class.

2) In a very few scenarios, certain objectives are very specifically required to be eliminated (example: destroy 15 enemy landmines). Sometimes you get a pop-up message that gives you an approximate update (example: "you now have less than 10 landmines to clear"). It would be great if there were a capability to see exactly what you have left to accomplish in these types of scenario objectives.
I second both of these, especially #1. It's very annoying to finally get a hero on an artillery unit only to have it be a worthless spotting bonus.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Allied Corps Beta Tester
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

Would welcome a better display of particularly the airfields on the larger maps. On the map on the bottom right they are displayed with an X.
On the F5 and zoom-in screen one has to wander around the screen in order to locate them...
PanzerTax
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by PanzerTax »

It's a long time since I played through Wehrmacht Grand Campaign and I will look forward to doing it again one day with all the great improvements.

My greatest fear however is to reach 1944 and be engaged in a tedious slugfest that only involves the top end units on each side. I think the endless variation and the application of true combined arms warfare is the attraction of WWII gaming, not the complete irrelevance of the infantry unit and the PzKpfW IV.

Thanks for the truly brilliant game and expansions though, you guys are great!
Favourite Games Before Panzer Corps: Pacific General, People's General, Panzer General II... pure magic!
TopGun1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TopGun1 »

what would be nice is a download of all custom scenarios , maybe people who have created them could send them into the team and we could have them downloaded when we sign into steam and this way we have more multiplayer scenarios.
TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 »

PanzerTax wrote:It's a long time since I played through Wehrmacht Grand Campaign and I will look forward to doing it again one day with all the great improvements.

My greatest fear however is to reach 1944 and be engaged in a tedious slugfest that only involves the top end units on each side. I think the endless variation and the application of true combined arms warfare is the attraction of WWII gaming, not the complete irrelevance of the infantry unit and the PzKpfW IV.

Good post. I share your sentiments. Perhaps a way to achieve this end would be to have a cap on the "top end" units each side could deploy. This may be too much to ask for & may instead be something for a wished-for PC2 game.
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

TSPC37730 wrote:
PanzerTax wrote:It's a long time since I played through Wehrmacht Grand Campaign and I will look forward to doing it again one day with all the great improvements.

Good post. I share your sentiments. Perhaps a way to achieve this end would be to have a cap on the "top end" units each side could deploy. This may be too much to ask for & may instead be something for a wished-for PC2 game.
Well perhaps such a feature, switch on/off, would make PC more versatile and unique...
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Fix it so you can import your Sealion army into 43 Eastern Campaign.

My wish would be that someone would create a winning East side battles, and ultimately a winning American/Canada Grand Campaign.

I know these would be made up scenarios, but seeing the outstanding and very fun way you did that with Operation Sealion I would really, really like to see this carried through. :mrgreen:
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Blitz1945
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Blitz1945 »

I would like to see a remake of fantasy general or star general!
KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Let's not get off topic here. The thread was about minor improvements for the next patch. We're already talking future campaigns and follow up games now. That's not what the thread was meant to discuss.
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw
Blitz1945
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Blitz1945 »

Good point.
Blitz1945
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Blitz1945 »

I have said this before but it would be wonderful to be able to upgrade captured units with the captured countries units. Those T 34-40 are showing their age towards the end and you capture KV 85's wish you could upgrade units with exp instead of getting a new unit.
Sourdust
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Sourdust »

Yes, and the flip side is that it would be nice to be able to give captured equipment to one of your existing units, rather than getting a new 0-star unit with the captured equipment.

One easy way of implementing these changes without dramatically re-wiring things would be to have a "swap equipment" button, which simply allows 2 units to swap equipment during the deployment phase only. You wouldn't have to change anything else! This would allow:

1) captured equipment to be given to existing experience units;
2) units to "upgrade" captured equipment to better captured equipment;
3) units to swap equipment without each one having to buy new equipment (for instance, if you want two panzer units to swap panzer types, perhaps to better take advantage of a new hero one of them gains...)
4) units to switch temporarily to another type of special equipment, without "throwing away" their existing equipment. For instance, would allow a tank unit to switch to sherman flail-tanks for the Normandy landing, then switch back to their Jumbos, without having to pay twice. Or would allow a German panzer to switch to flammpanzer or IIIN for an urban assault battle, then switch back to their regular tanks thereafter.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that each unit have a "swap" button with it's own reserve equipment, just a button that allows two separate units to switch equipment during deployment.
Blitz1945
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Blitz1945 »

Excellent idea!
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

IF something like this is implemented, the most obvious use IMO would be infantry leaving their trucks behind for certain scenarios. That could be immensely useful for paratroopers and mounteneers which obviously can't take advantage of their special abilities if they have a truck but may want a truck in scenarios where they are more of a supportive infantry.
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw

Return to “Panzer Corps”