To FoG or Not to FoG ? Thats is the question.

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Yrfin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

To FoG or Not to FoG ? Thats is the question.

Post by Yrfin »

Just for learning of AI actions, i have replayed a few campaigns without FoG mode. Each time i begin a mission, i can make a detailed plan of what i will have to do, where i can send my troops, how divide my army to few parts and etc. And wondering about how it changes completely the game! Game became more strategical in my vision.

Of coz, its have cons:
- you dont have element of suprise (-)

But at other side
-you dont need recon units (+)

No more bad encounter, the game is not becoming easy, because AI know also your positions too. You need just to play more for real challenge.

What do you're think about FoG/No FoG mode in PzC ?
Last edited by Yrfin on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When im died - I must be a killed.
TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: FoG or No FoG ?

Post by TSPC37730 »

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that spotting heroes would be even more useless...
edahl1980
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by edahl1980 »

I guess it comes down to what you prefer.
Part of the fun for me is not knowing what is coming.
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

Well, just for me ..
- In FoG mode i feel like Minesweeper - clearing map hex after hex, repeat 12 or whatever turns.
- In No Fog mode i feel like High Commander, viewing all battlefield, and decide - move my tanks batallions on left flank or right flank or maybe strike at center, coz i see disposition of enemy troops.

So difference modes, difference feeling.
And i think about: is it real, unite this 2 mode in one, with ability use procs both modes in one mode.
Last edited by Yrfin on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

Withou fow will take away all the fun for me. Unexpecting events and to deal with them is part of the strategy.
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

ptje63 wrote:Unexpecting events and to deal with them is part of the strategy.
lol.
Unexpecting events - is not part of strategy. Its a part of gambling games.
Try to play a Poker-online. Its very funny with unexpecting events, believe me :)
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

Yrfin wrote:
lol.
Try to play a Poker-online. Its very funny with unexpecting events, believe me :)
I dont think you understand me correctly: "unexpecting events" are waves of attacking russians when you thought you had gotten rid of them, AA hitting you hard when you thought you were safe, a Stuka you forgot to defend and spotted by the AI, weather changes, etc. Its part of strategy to deal with surprises and defeats, instead of see all whats coming with fow switched off. And yes - the occasional gambling is also part of that strategy.
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

ptje63 wrote:
Yrfin wrote:
lol.
I dont think you understand me correctly: "unexpecting events" are waves of attacking russians when you thought you had gotten rid of them, AA hitting you hard when you thought you were safe, a Stuka you forgot to defend and spotted by the AI, weather changes, etc. Its part of strategy to deal with surprises and defeats, instead of see all whats coming with fow switched off. And yes - the occasional gambling is also part of that strategy.
Sure, I dont force you or anybody, change yours mind and switch FoG off. Trust me.
First at all : no "waves" in this game. AI still too stupid to send "waves" airplanes to you.
And I said nothing about Randomizatoion in Game.
Yeh, sometimes its funny, sometimes not. Depends. Agree with you.
And gambling is part of tactics, not strategy.
Last edited by Yrfin on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: To FoG or Not to FoG ? Thats is the question.

Post by captainjack »

When I was learning I used to switch the weather off, but now I find it more interesting working around and with the weather.

So with Fog of War, I reckon you'll get more out of using it one day, but until then, it's your game and you should do what you like.
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

Youre right, Cap.
Its my game and i can do what i can do. (Bless PzC designers for ability modding this game. Almost. Amen ).

Well. Im not God, even not "game-designer".
But i think about ability for `Intelligence service" before First Strike.
So, in current situation i cant see ways about change ability change FoG in process ( i mean 5 or 7 turn for example in Scenario).
But, I can make pre-scenario shot with FoG off, then save core, then restart up Main Scenario with FoG on.
On pre-scenario youre got FoG off, and ability see all map, and then after startup Scenario you got FoG on.

Have a fun with randomization in PzC !
Last edited by Yrfin on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 »

At this point, I've played through most - but admittedly not all - of the PC content. So, I usually have a pretty good idea of where they are & where they're coming from. Leaving the fog of war option on leaves a little room for minor surprises. It also allows for the ability of 1 or 2 strength enemy fighters or bombers to speed off, reinforce, & come back for another run. So a bit of a minor challenge there. Or perhaps a bit of an annoyance there, depending on how you view it.
Psyx
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Psyx »

Yrfin wrote:
lol.
Yes it is. It's called risk management.

Citation required on the AI 'knowing' where our units are and ignoring FoW.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

The problem usually in wargames is that scenarios are not randomized: The AI units are set, so the few best strategies for the player are specific to this one setting. So, the FoG prevent us from knowing it, but after some plays we know the scenario and the FoG has less value. So, some players may think why not remove it from the start?
I think in wargames, different AI battle plans are missing, instead of only one (the historicaly used in general).
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

ERISS wrote:The problem usually in wargames is that scenarios are not randomized: The AI units are set, so the few best strategies for the player are specific to this one setting. So, the FoG prevent us from knowing it, but after some plays we know the scenario and the FoG has less value. So, some players may think why not remove it from the start?
I think in wargames, different AI battle plans are missing, instead of only one (the historicaly used in general).
Yes - Think you are correct. So, seems a challenge for developers to come up with this type of game that is not/limited predictable.
I must admit - am in the 2nd turn of the 36-45 grand campaign and have to memorize very good what to do/chose in each battle, according to what I can remember from earlier episode.
And yes - everyone is obliged for their own preferences ;-).

Since we have had the joy to go from 1980s stratefy games, to Panzer General, to the next episodes - to Panzer Corps, etc. - I am sure there are developers out there for a next sequel - one day - I am confident - promise ;-).

Return to “Panzer Corps”