Should I buy again?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

stormbringer3
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Should I buy again?

Post by stormbringer3 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:20 pm

I bought Panzer Corps when it first came out and a couple of the DLCs. I haven't played this game in years. I'm thinking of buying the Gold version while it's on sale. Is there improvement in the AI? I'm mostly interested in playing the 1939-1945 Campaign as Germany. I thing that the Gold version has a Grand Campaign. How is it different from the one that I can play on my current game?
Thanks for any info and opinions.

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Should I buy again?

Post by goose_2 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 pm

stormbringer3 wrote:I bought Panzer Corps when it first came out and a couple of the DLCs. I haven't played this game in years. I'm thinking of buying the Gold version while it's on sale. Is there improvement in the AI? I'm mostly interested in playing the 1939-1945 Campaign as Germany. I thing that the Gold version has a Grand Campaign. How is it different from the one that I can play on my current game?
Thanks for any info and opinions.

Panzer Corps Gold comes with it all
I would get it if I didn't have everything already ;)
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

rubyjuno
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by rubyjuno » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:50 am

As far as I'm aware there's no improvement in AI, but the Gold version incorporates quite a few updates that have been issued since the original version. It includes the original game and all the commercially released DLC and is unbelievable value for money, even at full price. it also means that only a single install and single serial number is required for everything, rather than having to install each add-on separately. At the moment it's included in the Slitherine Holiday Sale at £23.99 (normally it's over £60) which represents an incredible bargain. And before you ask... I don't work for Slitherine :roll:

tenshin111

Post by tenshin111 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:03 pm

With the current sale going it's a no-brainer really. Go for it, man! :mrgreen:

TSPC37730
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by TSPC37730 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:19 pm

As a huge fan of the game, I have to say that the gold version is a great value for the money. The holiday sale prices are usually good too.

I'm not sure if you meant that you bought the base campaign when it first came out. The grand campaign is broken down by year. Each year has about a dozen plus scenarios, with some branching & optional scenarios. The great fun of the grand campaign - as with the base campaign - is that you can build and develop a core force of units. You also earn & collect prestige as you go. You carry both the prestige & units with you from year to year through the entire campaign. Here's a list of all of the PC content:

Panzer Corps Wehrmacht (base campaign)
Grand Campaign (East & West)
Afrika Corps
Operation Sea Lion
Allied Corps
US Corps 42/43/44-45
Soviet Corps

There's quite a bit of game time there - even if you just stick to the German grand campaign. If you played all the way through from '39 to '45, as a quick guess you're probably looking at close to 100 individual scenarios chained together. So it's a great value - IF you like the game. But, since you bought the game some years ago & were not hooked like the rest of us here, that gives me pause. As much as I love the game, I get & respect that it's not for everyone. To answer one of your questions though, there's really no change in the AI.

stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did play the base campaign all the way till the end. You're right, I did like the game but didn't get hooked. Perhaps it's because I bought Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 which is on the Matrix site. It is similar in style to Panzer Corp but I liked it a lot better. IMO it is a great game. It is still being actively supported as it just had a major update. I think that anyone who likes Panzer Corp should definitely check this game out especially since it's on sale.
I agree that the Gold version is a great buy that's why I'm interested. Also, I've played the campaign in GaW so many times that I'm looking for a new challenge. Right now I'm down to buying this or Strategic Command.

TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:18 pm

stormbringer3 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I did play the base campaign all the way till the end. You're right, I did like the game but didn't get hooked. Perhaps it's because I bought Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 which is on the Matrix site. It is similar in style to Panzer Corp but I liked it a lot better. IMO it is a great game. It is still being actively supported as it just had a major update. I think that anyone who likes Panzer Corp should definitely check this game out especially since it's on sale.
I agree that the Gold version is a great buy that's why I'm interested. Also, I've played the campaign in GaW so many times that I'm looking for a new challenge. Right now I'm down to buying this or Strategic Command.
I have Strategic Command. It's a very involved game. It's come a long way from the beer & pretzels version that was SC1. I think it's a good game but, if, you're going to play, you'll have to block out some time for it. You can easily spend well over half an hour on a turn. And the scale is so massive that it's easy to miss things. It certainly doesn't lend itself to the quasi-casual play style that PC does. I do like the game though, and I'm sure I'll return to it at some point. I don't think you can make a bad choice between the two, but, you're certainly looking at very different games and playing experiences.

stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks for your info. I'm retired so I definitely have the time. I play all sorts of games. I played WitE for quite awhile but got funned out because of having to mess with the support unit aspect to enhance the division's combat potential.

Return to “Panzer Corps”