Spoils of War

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Wargamer74
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Spoils of War

Post by Wargamer74 »

I’m curious how many other player skip the spoils of war scenario. In my current play through of GC39 I’ve had all decisive victories and no core units lost but I took heavy causalities in Warsaw South due to some stupid moves I made, I guess that’s what I get for playing when I’m tired, 3 of my units were reduced to 4 strength points and almost lost an artillery.

My current prestige is 7008 going into Norway and I know playing spoils of war would help with earning even more, I think you get 750 for a decisive and you also get the BF 110 hero unit but personally I don’t care for this scenario at all. Imo it ruins the immersion of the game since it’s a nonhistorical scenario and the premise of it is just dumb. I wish they had included something more like the battle of the Heligoland Bight and this also would have been the perfect scenario to receive the Helmut Lent hero BF 110 unit. It would have been mostly an air and naval battle, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... ght_(1939).

Most of the Grand Campaign was very well done but this one scenario should never have been included.
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Spoils of War

Post by hugh2711 »

I think it is essential to do spoils of war as (firstly it is relatively easy, you can gain alot of experience for very little losses if done carefully and secondly;) most importantly the bf110 hero unit is absolutely essential. because it is a quite good stats as a fighter bomber even without the hero but since the initiative is +6 with the hero it makes a great fighter as well in its own right it is my second most deployed unit after uber-rudel!. the high initiative means it attacks first so it can take a great chunk out of most things. Since it is so useful every scenario it gains experience very quickly and i find its kill rate outdoes rudel until the very end of gc44. i find it gets 4 stars before rudel. Since it also collects kills quickly i have found it is not unusual to collect a few attack heroes as well very quickly. a few times i have had i+6 and A+6 on it, it will munch anything. Since its stats and usefullness are so high i usually take it into gc42/3west path as one of the 9 along with rudel.
Last edited by hugh2711 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

hugh2711 wrote:I think it is essential to do spoils of war as (firstly it is relatively easy, you can gain alot of experience for very little losses if done carefully and secondly;) most importantly the bf110 hero unit is absolutely essential. because it is a quite good stats as a fighter bomber even without the hero but since the initiative is +6 with the hero it makes a great fighter as well in its own right it is my second most deployed unit after uber-rudel!. the high initiative means it attacks first so it can take a great chunk out of most things. Since it is so useful every scenario it gains experience very quickly and i find its kill rate outdoes rudel until the very end of gc44. Since it also collects kills quickly i have found it is not unusual to collect a few attack heroes as well very quickly. a few times i have had i+6 and A+6 on it, it will munch anything. Since its stats and usefullness are so high i usually take it into gc42/3west path as one of the 9 along with rudel.

Hugh and I are in total agreement yet again, seems to be a player after my own heart. ;)
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Panzerpimp »

Wargamer74 wrote:but personally I don’t care for this scenario at all. Imo it ruins the immersion of the game since it’s a nonhistorical scenario and the premise of it is just dumb
The premise is dumb, sure. But the scenario itself is good. Balanced and quite challenging. It is also the only opportunity to battle soviets in 1939 - don't miss It.
Make love, not war.
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

I went ahead and reluctantly played the scenario. It is challenging, I didn't lose any core units but some of them got hit pretty hard. I deployed recon Rudel but I should have left him in reserve and gone with the captured Polish artillery for some more defense. My 88 was a big help dealing with that damn KV-1, when I get to GC40 I plan on getting another one of those so it gets more experience ahead of the eastern front. Anyway got a decisive and now have 8489 prestige going into Norway :).

My current core:

2xInfantry
1 Pioniere
2x Gebirgsjäger (this also includes Oleh Dir.
1 Panzer IB
1 Panzer IIC (I upgraded to a Panzer II back in Danzig Corridor South only for historical reasons but overall not very good.)
2x Panzer 38(t) (includes Albert Kerscher
1 SdKfz 232
1 8.8cm
3x 10.5cm
1x Sturmpanzer
1 captured artillery (I need more artillery)
2x BF109E
2x BF110C (with Helmut Lent)
2x Ju87B (with Rudel)
2x He 111H2

Se or SS:

1 Infantry
1 Gebirgsjäger
stan23
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by stan23 »

I would play a Battle of the Heligoland Bight scenario, sounds interesting.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

I think the key to dominating in spoils of war is: to sacrifice a cheap recon and makes sure you get the city hex next to the airfield in the centre on the first go with it. You lose the recon on the AI's first go the enemy units at the centre will be busy trying to destroy it while you have placed your units perfectly so on your second go you can eliminate a few enemy units in the centre, retake that city and control the whole centre of the board and not lose control of it then for the rest of the scenario. Then you can also catch the counterattack in the south while it is vulnerable travelling. The only place you should take serious losses is towards the end when you go around the back in the north and try to take the home primary hexes. that can be tricky.
If you are about to go into norway you need to dump one of your SE infantry units immediately as you will want to get an SE tank and start racking up the kills ASA, since there are only two SE slots for gc39. In an ideal world you want to finish gc39 with two SE tanks, one with one star already. It may seem silly now but by gc43 east you will be thanking yourself you did it.
dragos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by dragos »

I think it depends on difficulty level and your own imposed rules. As I play with Rommel settings and using deducter's equipment mod, I think playing Spoils of War would be too costly to go for a no-reload decisive victory. The benefit in earned prestige would be lower than the cost of repairing units with elite replacement at the end of the scenario, or otherwise I would end up with overall lower experience. I also don't like it for being ahistorical, so I always skip it.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

I should say I have usually found it very profitable, (aside from the over-heroed bf110,) on its own as a scenario at the field marshall level

Return to “Panzer Corps”