Favorite Artillery unit

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

cutydt02
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Favorite Artillery unit

Post by cutydt02 »

I know bro, but in just 2 camp scenarios i got ugly spotting hero for nearly half of my cores. Its so hurt to sell them all. And so fun if i can show a triple spotting with you guys ><
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

If any of my artillery units gets spotting as first hero it is sent somewhere unpleasant for retraining. I think a spotting triple on artillery would be well worth a screen shot.
AnalogGamer

Post by AnalogGamer »

Wurfrahmen ... hands down. +1 Range and +3 Attack is my favorite hero pairing. It should be part of a combined-arms formation though. Needs a plane and AAA right behind it. It is nectar to the AI bomber's bee.

Used everything else, and like many. Wurfs are not a mainstay weapon, but they are the Divisional Commander's personal shotgun. Like modern MLRS. The act of an angry pagan god to start a breakthrough, or a fire-brigade that stops an incursion cold. 4-star, 12-strength starts to get ridiculous, and it gets hilarious from there.

Hugely, incredibly expensive incap terms and costs. Worth it. :)
MaxF
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MaxF »

AnalogGamer wrote:Wurfrahmen ... hands down. +1 Range and +3 Attack is my favorite hero pairing. It should be part of a combined-arms formation though. Needs a plane and AAA right behind it. It is nectar to the AI bomber's bee.

Used everything else, and like many. Wurfs are not a mainstay weapon, but they are the Divisional Commander's personal shotgun. Like modern MLRS. The act of an angry pagan god to start a breakthrough, or a fire-brigade that stops an incursion cold. 4-star, 12-strength starts to get ridiculous, and it gets hilarious from there.

Hugely, incredibly expensive incap terms and costs. Worth it. :)
:o I din't think of the Wurframen +1 range. I shall try it.
Unfortunately I downgraded it to Panzerwerfer.
AnalogGamer

Post by AnalogGamer »

The Panzerwerfer is the majority's choice for this unit type, so you are far from alone there. That is a more robust unit, and a fine choice.

I'm one of those who buy railguns as part my core though. :lol: A railgun with +2 range is somewhere to the left of ridiculous.

It is a question of style, heroes, and number of artillery in your army. I always keep one heroe'd-up Wurf around, but never more than two. They are expensive in every sense of this game's definition, but I want to bring the pain. Instead of using a Panzerwerfer, I bring backup. My SP AAA follows my Wurf around like a dog on a short leash. A 7/2 is dirt cheap, and will earn its keep/gain experience at this job. A fighter is as omni-present as possible.

Counter-battery is a pain, but that is the cost of doing business. More care in recon is needed to bring softer units into the forward areas.
MaxF
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MaxF »

Yep, counter-battery can be a real pain in some scenarios. I really always try to avoid it, although with the many defense-heroes I have on my arties ( sigh ) I will lose some strenght nonetheless, I saw that also a 4-strenght enemy arty can rip off -1 strenght to my arty.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

My exeprience on counter battery fire is that one or two guns with 4 (or 5) range are good, but often 3 range is enough. In big scenarios I usually use any 4+ range guns to suppress AA lines behind the artillery so air power can ammo strip and damage the defending artillery enough to allow ground troops to attack suppressed front line troops.
Otherwise, 3 range guns immediately behind my front line suppress enemy guns, which means range hero rocket artillery can do the job well enough

For my strategy, the ideal counter battery fire combo would include one powerful gun (eg 170mm) for doing some damage as well as removing entrenchment, then a fully overstrength gun with high ROF to suppress as much as possible. The heavy gun doesn't need to be overstrength to do this job, and since most heavy guns have RoF 8 or less you need a lot of overstrength to make a real difference to number of attacks so it's rarely cost-effective. Ideally both would have 4 range, but 3 is often enough.
bravouser
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by bravouser »

i think artillery could use some improvement as a lot of systems is not modeled properly.. for example British Sexton, not many realize how effective it actually was - it carried 108 rounds on board, therefore it could provide fire support for a lot longer, than German self propelled systems.. 10.5cm Wespe carried just 40 rounds for example.. while American 105mm M7 had 69 rounds.. Maybe amount of ammo should also influence the rate of fire somehow, as artillery system with plenty of ammo would fire a lot more of it during single artillery strike.if not, then M7 and Sexton should get their surplus ammo.. (so if Wespe has 6 ammo, then M7 should have 10, and Sexton 15...)
I have my own website, gotblop http://gotblop.com/
MaxF
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MaxF »

I would like an Ammo - Hero for Artillery
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by rubyjuno »

MaxF wrote:I would like an Ammo - Hero for Artillery
Wow, brilliant idea :idea:
Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Buffalohump »

I like the ammo hero idea. It should replace the sight and initiative heroes for artillery class. I would like also to see rate of fire increases based on crew experience.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Buffalohump wrote:I like the ammo hero idea. It should replace the sight and initiative heroes for artillery class. I would like also to see rate of fire increases based on crew experience.
I 2nd this idea, no more spotting heroes on artillery and rof for experience is a nice concept that should be playtested
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

I was an early promoter of ammo hero in place of spotting on artillery and in place of initiative on tac bombers. I hope the Panzer Corps 2 dev team read this.
MaxF
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MaxF »

Question: is the Defence Hero helping when the arty unit is hit by another artillery?
I know it works vs ground units and air units.
Buffalohump

Post by Buffalohump »

I do not know if it helps when receiving artillery fire. When I receive defensive heroes I generally will make that unit a Stug where it most definitely helps. The only two artillery heroes I have found useless are spotting and initiative. I have found rate of fire to be a bigger concern and I tend to stay with smaller caliber guns. I started playing this way from reading the posts of others and it has helped me better force surrenders and gain prestige that is needed later. There is nothing better to me than fully suppressing a heavy tank and attacking it with infantry and forcing its surrender.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Forgot to mention...3rd Hero awarded on +1 Movement/ +3 Att Nebelwerfer...+2 Att...

So now it is a +5 Att/+1 Movement beast that I will be saving for those super Hard battles, or may just wait until Berlin, love building up my army.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
AnalogGamer

Post by AnalogGamer »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:59 pm Forgot to mention...3rd Hero awarded on +1 Movement/ +3 Att Nebelwerfer...+2 Att...

So now it is a +5 Att/+1 Movement beast that I will be saving for those super Hard battles, or may just wait until Berlin, love building up my army.

OMG! +5 attack. I would love to see that with a range hero. :)
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

The range is nice, but move hero makes t is easier to get into position to provide defensive fire (I'm sure I saw some conscripts approaching ....) so even better than range.
slowgtp
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by slowgtp »

The most devastating artillery unit I've ever had was a +1 range +3 attack Maultier that just obliterated Soviets.
Buffalohump

Post by Buffalohump »

I am sorry to resurrect this old thread but I would like to amend my favorite artillery unit. I have recently started playing the Allied Corps Campaign. My new favorite arty unit is the QF 25 pounder. I currently have three in my corp. Two with move heroes. It hits almost as hard as the 105, has a good ammo count, and with the heroes can keep up with my infantry. The ability to switch to an effective AT unit early on in the Desert campaign has made them most valuable units in my army so far. The thread about most important hero made me reconsider my previous thoughts. I like the Soviet 76.2 with switch but it comes to late to be as useful as I would like.

Return to “Panzer Corps”