Difficulty

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Erasermarek
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Difficulty

Post by Erasermarek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:34 am

Hi,

first of all im not total newbie but imho i still learn things in Panzer Corps.

I start 1 year ago (i play slowly, occasionally) Grand Campaign (from vanilla i play only first scenario Poland... but i play whole tutorial).

I set my difficulty to default Lieutenant. On start it was ok... some Polish scenario was still challange for me (tryout to breaktrough from Polish army dont remember name of this map)... from 1940 thing rapidly slow down and i go trough whole campaing 1940 too easy -no losses in core unit, sometimes i get not realy damaged for whole map... Well i tell my self... wait for Russians. Yesterday i finish Minsk 1941 and it was again too easy. I already wanted to put the entire campaign from the beginning but what I read here all warns before 1943, 1944 and especially 1945 that they do not have enough points, it is difficult and so ... a significant difference is in AI ... AI-0 and AI -1. Please, help me ... I'd like to push up a bit of difficulty, but not too much, so that in the future I will not stop playing from the frustration over the difficulty. You can say: It's okay - set up game that suits me best. But I do not know how much the campaign is going to be as big as it is (1941-1945) and how it changes AI very much (since I have not played against AI-1 yet). Thank you for any useful advice.

hugh2711
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Difficulty

Post by hugh2711 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 am

It starts to get hard in GC42 (vitebsk)
You might like to have a look at some 'AAR's in the the AAR section of the forum. There are lots of people who at various levels (including myself) who have gone through the whole GC and have left replays or reports that give you an idea of the hardness levels as they do ramp up. Alot of being successfull later on actually comes down to tricks for individual scenarios and also more importantly general long term strategies in use of unit classes. A good strategy will start preparing your core at the early/easy stages, for the harder scenarios later on. A good AAR will indicate these.
I also think that you will not find it challenging at the lower levels of AI independant of wether it is an easy/hard scenario.
I was still learning many years after I started playing but of course the higher the difficuty the quicker you will learn :-)

PeteMitchell
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by PeteMitchell » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:52 am

There are also several youtube videos that can help...

Regarding the AI, I am not sure whether the exact differences between the different AI settings have ever been fully disclosed. However, I prefer playing the AI at “2” as it is more active than just passive/waiting. Sometimes playing at “2” can also lead to advantages for you if you can lure the AI out of defensive (=entrenched) positions… (and by the way, I also still learn from every scenario I play)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481

Erasermarek
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Erasermarek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:53 pm

PeteMitchell_2 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:52 am

Regarding the AI, I am not sure whether the exact differences between the different AI settings have ever been fully disclosed. However, I prefer playing the AI at “2” as it is more active than just passive/waiting. Sometimes playing at “2” can also lead to advantages for you if you can lure the AI out of defensive (=entrenched) positions… (and by the way, I also still learn from every scenario I play)
Yes.. AI-0 was whole time like sitting ducks waiting for my Stukas do decimate AI troops. But in situation when eastern front change from blitzkrieg to defend vs. hordes of Russian tanks can be this problem. Well i still can change dificulty later i think but for now i think its just too easy. I try today restart GC 41... with colonel dificulty... we will see how will change oponent... but some clue how different is AI-0 or AI-1 will be nice for me but im think all beginner.

PeteMitchell

Post by PeteMitchell » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Erasermarek wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:53 pm
PeteMitchell_2 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:52 am

Yes.. AI-0 was whole time like sitting ducks waiting for my Stukas do decimate AI troops. But in situation when eastern front change from blitzkrieg to defend vs. hordes of Russian tanks can be this problem. Well i still can change dificulty later i think but for now i think its just too easy. I try today restart GC 41... with colonel dificulty... we will see how will change oponent... but some clue how different is AI-0 or AI-1 will be nice for me but im think all beginner.
I am sorry but I can't say much about AI-0 or AI-1 as I prefer the AI to be as smart as possible... even when I played on lower difficulty levels (i.e. via custom difficulty settings)...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481

Return to “Panzer Corps”