SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Questions and Update on where I am at.

Post by goose_2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Quick Update:

I am poised to start Dunkirk 45 on my West Guderian Blindthrough...I have looked at the map and tried to do calculations of needed movement with the areas needed to capture and the 12 rounds to pull it off.

I may not be able to do this on a first time Blind through as unsure what units I will face or necessity to be more mobile than the units I have currently deployed. But I will be attempting soon.

This brings me to my US Corps blindthrough.

I am poised to either go to Bizerte or Tunis.
I am thinking Bizerte because I believe that will be the easier of the 2 and I am struggling.
I have been able to post my Hills disaster, and am poised to start posting my play of Enfidaville.
(These 2 scenarios were extremely difficult for me, especially at this difficulty level and with the unit composition layout that I currently have.)

Based on that I purchased a new M7 AT and new M12...Buying a 2nd M12 was the best purchase as that filled a necessary gap in my artillery layout for the Mateur playthrough. (I will go into greater thoughts on my US Corps.

I will get to my questions for this post:
1) Bizerte or Tunis? (Again I am leaning towards Bizerte, but can be persuaded)

2) Reform Units? My Crab got destroyed in Mateur and because I have reformed units on I can repurchase on next scenario, but do I want to or have to? I was awarded another +1 Attack Hero that is less than lustrous, and makes me kind of want to start over with another Crab later on, but that would mean much later on, like deep into 44. Thoughts, as I have never used reform units before?

3) As far as unit diversity. I would love all my artillery's to be M12's at least until the Calliope comes out. (Love that self propelled soft unit shredder.)
But I am sticking to no more than 2 of any single unit type, as I think that is a challenge to limit yourself to, I was thinking around 1 of each unit, but after the Hills and Enfidaville scenarios I am recognizing the gaps that needed filling going forward. So with all of that said are there any units you would like to see me showcase or utilize? I am thinking 1 mobil AA would be ideal to help fill a gap in air strength, but they are so limited in their effectivity and utilization.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping me and all of the encouragement. I have 29 subscribers to my channel which blows my mind, and something I find to be a new joy in my down time.
Blessings....and as always....Stay Lutheran My Friends :wink:
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

dalfrede
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

Post by dalfrede » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Bizerte and Tunis are of equal difficulty, but Tunis has more risk.

Most people play US corps with every M12 built in their core. :D

I play US corps with 2 purchased fighters and no AA.

There is a scenario in '43 that requires destroying mines, plus DDay, so reforming Crab is a good choice.

The cheapest US Art is the M8, good for protecting M10 and M18 against infantry. Has move of 6 versus 4 for M12.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.

PeteMitchell_2
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:57 pm

I am just about to start Morning Air (only) and I have never used reform units. There is also the opportunity to buy a mine flail tank just for the scenarios needed, isn’t there?

Sticking to no more than two of any single unit type is an interesting thought.

Well, based on what I have seen from you so far, I have the following:
1x Inf
1x Eng
2x Ranger
1x M4A3
2x M10 Wolverine
1x M3 75 GMC
2x 105mm artillery
2x P-47D
1x B-25B

The M12 has low air defense, hasn’t it?
...ah and I am not a subscriber since I don't have a youtube account yet... ;)

Thoughts welcome of course!
Last edited by PeteMitchell_2 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481

turn4441
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by turn4441 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:00 pm

There is a scenario in '43 that requires destroying mines, plus DDay, so reforming Crab is a good choice.
Sorry if I'm rude, but I don't see how gleaning a bunch of information as to unit composition and other scenario specific details qualifies as a blind play through. Exceptionally good intelligence perhaps? Isn't the idea to see how an expert deftly solves all the various scenario puzzles without prior information?

goose_2

Post by goose_2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:17 pm

turn4441 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:00 pm
Sorry if I'm rude, but I don't see how gleaning a bunch of information as to unit composition and other scenario specific details qualifies as a blind play through. Exceptionally good intelligence perhaps? Isn't the idea to see how an expert deftly solves all the various scenario puzzles without prior information?
I did not see my questions as spoiling my blind through, in fact my next scenario that I will start uploading tomorrow is in fact not a blindthrough as my first time through I got my butt handed to me and if you lose a scenario you lose the game at least on most of the US Scenarios.

I am trying to garner info based on the next mission I am facing and questions that I have based on the situation I find myself in.

I value the opinion of the community and like to get more involvement of the readers of this forum to make them feel a part of my playthrough.

I try and keep the questions basic on which scenario to go to when I have an option, and what units they think would be best to purchase, not trying to get scenario specific info, just thoughts from the gallery.
goose_2

TheBushmaster
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by TheBushmaster » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:47 pm

congratulations on youtube!

this is a funny community

turn4441

Post by turn4441 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:26 am

Again, sorry as I said earlier, and I repeat, I didn't mean to be rude. I only rarely have time to play, much less the time to watch someone else play but was interested in how a Panzer Corps expert would do in US Corps as there are few play throughs out there and it is a totally different animal than just running over everything as is possible with high experience/hero farmed units for much of the grand campaign. Shermans against Tigers requires a new strategy. Why not show the 'butt handed to me' version (of I assume Enfidaville)? Wouldn't that be informative too? I would be particularly interested in strategies that failed. By the way, you get 250 prestige for taking out that German infantry unit on the road to Gabes (the $ sign in the Hills scenario). And yes, I earned it but only on lowly Field Marshall level.

goose_2

Post by goose_2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:35 am

turn4441 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:26 am
Why not show the 'butt handed to me' version (of I assume Enfidaville)? Wouldn't that be informative too? I would be particularly interested in strategies that failed.
Interesting...good to know...as I had not considered keeping my failures...If you were able to muscle through my Ruins of Stalingrad playthrough you saw an example of almost failure as the enemy came back hard on areas I considered cleared.

Are there more people interested in seeing my failures? If so I will start saving those videos instead of deleting them.
goose_2

Lifever
Panzer Corps World Champion
Panzer Corps World Champion

Post by Lifever » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:34 am

The champ says: Make showing your mistakes your trademark + humorous commentary = the most watchworthy videos anybody can get out of this game.

Pepper them with successful attempts so nobody sees the next tragedy coming.

The champ would have done that himself, but never makes mistakes - at all.

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 am

goose_2 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:35 am
Are there more people interested in seeing my failures? If so I will start saving those videos instead of deleting them.
I am interested and would watch them as I could learn from them, i.e. even if it is only a replay showing textbook examples of what not to do… :mrgreen: https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9b280cc7-d ... 9bfdcee2d6

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:21 pm

turn4441 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:26 am
it is a totally different animal than just running over everything as is possible with high experience/hero farmed units for much of the grand campaign.
I only played the first few scenarios yet but this seems quite true, maybe even an underestimated DLC... :shock: :mrgreen:

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:38 pm

So I just finished the Hills. Here is where I am at:
1x Inf
1x Eng
2x Ranger
1x M4A3
1x Crab
1x SdKfz 234/2
4x M10 Wolverine
1x M3 75 GMC
4x M12
2x P-47D
1x B-25B

While I highly respect (and very much like) your more diverse unit composition, I am not sure I can do this…

goose_2

Post by goose_2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:22 pm

Yeah, I can see the appeal to watching fails. I should have thought of that, they are not fun to go through, so I will definitely try to avoid them, but they would make watching the videos more exciting as what will happen creates much more suspense.

Quick Update with where I am at with my recordings...

I have 5 more rounds in Dunkirk 45 on my Guderian Blindthrough.

That map has required a lot of reevaluation in my assault as I only had 12 rounds to bust through many heavily defended areas. It seems to be going well as surprisingly there appears to be no allied air force to speak of, which makes for a much more doable scenario.

I started the map unsure how I could reach all of the far flung areas, but now with 5 days remaining and 4 Main areas left to seize, I may be able to pull it off, but may require a replay, if so I will save my failed attempt this time, that way when I post it you all can give me advice on how I can tweak my attack to garner the win.

It would be nice for someone to give thoughts on how I could have possibly done Hills or Enfidaville better so I could garner the elusive Decisive.

I now the simple answer, more M12's, M3's and Wolverine's, but thinking about the army I have, do you think a Decisive was possible?

I will finish up Dunkirk 45 this weekend, but I will be spending most of the day Saturday participating in a huge Civil War miniature game thingy. That should be fun, if the weather allows.

If not maybe I will finish US 42.

Blessings on your weekend
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:24 pm

PeteMitchell_2 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:38 pm
So I just finished the Hills. Here is where I am at:
1x Inf
1x Eng
2x Ranger
1x M4A3
1x Crab
1x SdKfz 234/2
4x M10 Wolverine
1x M3 75 GMC
4x M12
2x P-47D
1x B-25B

While I highly respect (and very much like) your more diverse unit composition, I am not sure I can do this…
That unit composition should help you win any battle

Did you amass that using 50% prestige 50% experience?
goose_2

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:34 pm

Well, yes... but I had watched your videos before so it doesn't really count... and I am playing with limited/dice chess...

I have lost a lot of experience during the battles as I am very short on prestige (haven’t forced as many surrenders as you did)… will see where this gets me, not sure I will make it through to the end in 45…

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:14 pm

goose_2 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:22 pm
It would be nice for someone to give thoughts on how I could have possibly done Hills or Enfidaville better so I could garner the elusive Decisive.

I now the simple answer, more M12's, M3's and Wolverine's, but thinking about the army I have, do you think a Decisive was possible?
In case interested, here is my replay of Hills, played after I had watched yours... Not sure a DV was possible given your army and playing blind. Any thoughts welcome of course!
Attachments
(22.02.2019) Hills, Turn 20 DV.zip
(66.57 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Enfidaville took a few attempts (and different deployments) but coming from (two) different sides can also have advantages...
Attachments
(23.02.2019) Enfidaville, Turn 12 DV.zip
(62.78 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Just played Mateur twice... ;) and I am very curious how you will approach it! Just so much, following instructions does not always make things better… I am considering Tunis now, let’s see.

goose_2

Post by goose_2 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:43 pm

PeteMitchell_2 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:37 pm
Just played Mateur twice... ;) and I am very curious how you will approach it! Just so much, following instructions does not always make things better… I am considering Tunis now, let’s see.
Great work, can you send me your playthrough for Enfidaville and The Hills, because I cannot download stuff off the internet for some reason.

I think you have my personal email, if not pm me and I will get it to you.

I am about to record Bizerte, after finishing Dunkirk 45 yesterday. Cannot wait to post that one, because that scenario is the reason why I love, love, love this game. :mrgreen:
goose_2

dalfrede

Post by dalfrede » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:48 am

As a test I played US Corps on 50% exp and 50% prestige.
At the start of Morning Air my army:
1x HW Inf - 1*
1x Eng - 1*
2x Ranger - 1*, [1x SE]
2x M4A3 - 1*
4x M10 - 2x 1*, 2x 0*
2x M7 -1*
1x M8 - 0*
1x M12 1*
3x P47 - 0*, [2xSE]
1x B25 - 1*
And 479pp.

Trying to play with a historical army is killing you.
Getting experience with a M3 and upgrading to M10 requires more prestige than one gets at 50%.

I've started playing US Corps with the PHCAS mod so I won't be continuing this campaign. I may write up an evaluation of PHCAS later.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.

Return to “Panzer Corps”