What mods to play

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

pewp3w
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

What mods to play

Post by pewp3w » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:54 am

So I am done with all the official campaigns. I also tried the italian campaign mod (which was cool at the start, but got a bit boring over time) and the grand european map (which just seems impossible).

Now I've read about quite a few mods, but I haven't found some good overview about the "best" mods or something like that. Which ones could you recommend to me?

PeteMitchell
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: What mods to play

Post by PeteMitchell » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:34 pm

Very easy question for me... my favorite one is Battlefield Europe by McGuba:
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481

Elkarlo

Post by Elkarlo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:47 am

Anyone have a video of how to install it? I can't seem to do it. I can make the shortcut change the name in the file, but I don't know what to do after that.
Wouldn't mind paying for this ahem ahem if it were available on steam

PeteMitchell
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by PeteMitchell » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Mmmm, did this not work from last time we spoke?
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 21#p754121

Where exactly do you get stuck, you have screenshots maybe?

In case you speak French, there is also a short youtube tutorial on how to install the mod on a PC, maybe it can provide some insights/ideas as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOq5lkxteEU

There is also a step-by-step install guide for both methods (i.e. with or without GME) in the readme.doc file, which comes with the mod, since v1.0.

dalfrede
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by dalfrede » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:04 pm

I would recommend Nico's MPC mod, it is simple to install.
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=43224

As far as BfE goes:
BfEmodDocV1.0.zip
(189.17 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

An alternative way of installing.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.

pewp3w

Post by pewp3w » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:56 am

dalfrede wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:04 pm
I would recommend Nico's MPC mod, it is simple to install.
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=43224
Yeah, installing was easy. I gave it a try and I really like it, but god damn it, it is very hard. First two levels are easy and then immediately Teruel starts which I had to play twice to manage a win.

PeteMitchell_2 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:34 pm
Very easy question for me... my favorite one is Battlefield Europe by McGuba:
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Thats what I meant with "grand european map". I gave it a try, but it seems impossible for me to beat. I am not a bad player, but not nearly good enough for this one. Especially with all the hidden events, spawns and gameplay mechanics that are not documented.
If there are any pointers or an overview for it, I would gladly give it another try. I've read your playthrough.

PeteMitchell
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by PeteMitchell » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:17 pm

pewp3w wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:56 am
If there are any pointers or an overview for it, I would gladly give it another try.
GeneralWerner had prepared a good overview of what to achieve by when (besides his many excellent AARs), maybe worth looking at it for some orientation:
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=82546

Plus, have you tried the different difficulty levels (i.e. the in-mod difficulties which can reduce the number of AI resources/troops)?

One approach could also be to focus on either Western Allies OR Soviet Union "only" at one point in time, e.g. to concentrate on them and to "just" beat them, i.e. to target a Draw/MV and then to play again for a DV.

Our BE survey had revealed/confirmed some of this as well, i.e. most players need more than one attempt, etc... So I guess it's all perfectly fine as long as you enjoy the challenge/enjoy playing the mod... viewtopic.php?f=147&t=88193

captainjack
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by captainjack » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:13 am

pewp3w
I like MPC, but you do have to read the briefings carefully. It also helps to think more motorised WW1 than mechanised warfare - ie take your time and be methodical.

The large maps can be a challenge but also allow a lot of freedom to plan and move after you have worked out what you need to do.
Generally speaking I find MV quite achievable, but DV can be very difficult and there are some real tough scenarios (I'm thinking of Hannut, and Leningrad area ones late in 41 which I have not yet finished without adding a few turns).

Anyway, how good is it to have series of mods that includes a scenario where my elite panzer armies have been ripped apart by Italian tanks?

Return to “Panzer Corps”