An Underrated Historical Model

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

fgiannet
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

An Underrated Historical Model

Post by fgiannet » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:16 am

Panzer Corps is often called a "beer and Pretzels" game but the continued support and modifications have made it into something much more impressive.

Historical Model
There is an incredible amount of history built into the game scenarios and I have learned a great deal about subjects I had previously thought I knew. Nikivdd is Awesome; The US campaigns are the best and have great historical detail (the transport convoy outside Oran, "Remind your soldiers on professional conduct with the local population in Aachen", etc.). You can play through those scenarios with historical forces organized at the battalion level (9 infantry, 1 Engineer Bn, 4 Artillery 1 attached TD Bn, 1 separate Tank Battalion, 1 Bofors Bn= infantry division or 1 Recon Bn, 4 Med Tanks, 2 m3 Stuart's, 3 M7 Priests, 3 Armored Infantry [armored infantry to account for the Engineer companies being mixed in with the infantry], 1 sp AAA BN = heavy armored div) with additional corp Assets later on. Triumphs are difficult and sometimes best let go. I lose core units at times but it is a war game (Kerensky had some Great Comments on that in the past)..

Nikivdd designed each scenario so well that you can play through with different types of divisions (infantry or armored). That line of hills he added at the 2nd Gela is brilliant and critical for an infantry regiment. The Army.History.Mil website breaks down all the names and organizations so everything can be named appropriately (great job allowing us to rename units). The game even models the improvement the "light" Armored division has over the previous heavy organization (a 3/3/3 organization which is more flexible) although that also has to do with terrain of Western Europe (in Russia the tank heavy armored corps are still very useful and the game models this difference as well). You can get an incredible understanding of tactics from the game due to the surprisely deep mechanics built into the game (close defense, iniative values, FOW ambushes [I don't even know how you can program that into a computer game but it is so much fun]).

It was also fascinating to see how great heros can make me more conservative (because I do not want to lose them) and I lose out on triumphs. In a matter of speaking.... I have become too attached to my soldiers and take less risks because of it. What an incredible historical model.

I am very grateful you have kept such a wide range of equipment. I use the M3 Stuart's Bns in my heavy division model where they mostly just draw the enemy out. If they somehow get good heros I will upgrade them to Sherman Bns. The 1st Infantry Division actually had a towed Tank Destroyer Bn assigned in the early part of France and I love trying to get the best use of those 3inch ATs. I use older equipment prominently in my double Rommel Allied Campaign (again, I rarely get Triumphs that way but it is more fun to me). It is awesome that you have included such a wide range of equipment.

I want to say thank you for your commitment and attention to detail. A few years ago an old family illness descended on me earlier than expected. It was difficult adjusting my mental energy to my depleted physical energy. Playing your game in all the many ways you have enabled it to be played, researching the battles to get appropriately historical units, and trying different historical "what if" combinations has allowed my brain to exercise itself between meditations. Sometimes my brain just needed to run itself out and your game was the perfect treadmill. I know it is a business but this game has had a profound effect on my journey over these last two years. Thank you, thank you very much.

PeteMitchell
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: An Underrated Historical Model

Post by PeteMitchell » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 am

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing, this sounds very nice, indeed!

Please allow me to mention/ask, have you tried McGuba's Battlefield Europe Mod, yet?

This is highly recommended from an historical experience:
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481

fgiannet

Post by fgiannet » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:37 pm

I would love to but only have my old iPad. The fact there are fan made mods is incredible as well! I had no idea there was a built in editor with this game. I sometimes contemplate buying some cheap older computer solely for the purpose of playing the mods (although it might not have the right graphic card or other issues). That is crazy, is something I have never contemplated before and a sign of how amazing I find this game. It would be great if Slitherine got a commission for each mod sold and they could become a mini-steam company. I would love to play mods based and scaled to certain divisions (2nd Armored, etc.) or corps. There might be a lot more mods if creators were getting paid some amount for each download.... Then Slitherine can continue to get paid after making such a quality game instead of having to run off and produce another. I am not suggesting they do not support their old games but I think there still is a lot more fan interest in this game but no monetary interest for the company.

I have read a lot about McGuba's mod and it would be one of the main reasons why I would buy a old computer (Which is absolutely ridiculous to contemplate because my iPad handles everything else).

Another great thing about Nikivdds US campaign is he makes use of the historical battle logs. It is great to look at the 1/16th Infantry Regiment battle log in April 1945 and see "Hoisted Victory Banner over Oran November 9th 1942, Awarded Silver Star December 12th, Hoisted Victory Banner over El Guettar...." (provided they survive that long).

This game seems to provide a foundation for many, many, uses (historical model, teaching tool, entertainment, new mods, etc.). It beggars the imagination :P

dalfrede
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by dalfrede » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:06 pm

fgiannet wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:37 pm
. . . I sometimes contemplate buying some cheap older computer solely for the purpose of playing the mods (although it might not have the right graphic card or other issues). . . .
PzC came out in 2010, graphics cards are not a problem. A laptop with integrated graphics works fine.
PzC2 does require a real graphics card, not PzC.

For BfE the issue would be memory, It has a large map and that slows things down,and may even crash the system.
One would have to check with the people in that thread what a minimum system should be. It does not have to be very new.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.

PeteMitchell

Post by PeteMitchell » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Battlefield Europe can run on 4 GB Ram easily...

but Win 10 might require more... as Win 7 is without support now... :mrgreen:

fgiannet

Post by fgiannet » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 am

Excellent! I had problems a long time ago with some other games but you guys have made it seem pretty easy and straightforward. Thanks for the clarity gentlemen.

PeteMitchell

Post by PeteMitchell » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:57 am

Ah and just for the records, Battlefield Europe also has a very excellent multiplayer version! ;)

Return to “Panzer Corps”