DLC 42 #15 Tatsinskaya

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

OmegaMan1
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by OmegaMan1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:40 am

Tatsinskaya. MV in 22 turns.
Start prestige: 1468. End prestige: 6.
New units purchased: Grenadier, recon, Stug, StuH42 (deployment); grenadier (turn 2).
Units lost: Core – Two grenadiers, one recon. Auxiliary – 12 units of various types.
Medals: 3. Heroes: 2.

Once again the Germans are tasked with pulling their allies out of the fire! I resisted the temptation to splurge with my large starting prestige, and purchased only four new units (out of eight slots open); I decided to save the rest, assuming I would need as much prestige as possible to replace my losses over the course of the scenario. This strategy worked out well, as I relied on that prestige heavily in the first few turns, when casualties were high and opportunities to take new prestige through city captures were scarce.

I deployed my forces in three groups, based in the north, central and south part of the map. The Russians hit my northern and southern flanks on the first turn, while a large Russian force tore through the auxiliary units based around Tatsinskaya (the AI had captured that city, and all of the surrounding airfields, by turn 4). After taking the Tatsinskaya bases, the AI attacked my center force which was based around Sholokhovskiy. While those forces were engaged in a slugging match, my forces in the north defeated the last of the Russian attackers there on turn 5 and then turned south, moving behind the central Russian attackers. My forces took back one of the airfields (at 17,11) and then hit the central Russians in the rear. Meanwhile, my southern forces had finished off the opposing Russians down there on turn 6, and so I sent those forces northward. From there, I was able to destroy the central Russian attackers, and had reoccupied Tatsinskaya and all of its airfields by turn 9.

I figured there had to be more Russians heading westward, so I formed a defensive line based north to south, centered between the airfields at 18,14 and 18,17. Sure enough, a second wave of Russians attacked on turn 11. This wave was very strong, with some fierce tanks and air forces. (I did manage to upgrade one of my BF109s to a FW190, and let me just say that single air unit was amazing – it must have shot down a half-dozen Russian planes! Awesome upgrade!) My units took a beating, but by turn 16 I had defeated most of the Russian forces and tried to repair and resupply my forces as best as possible. Then, a third wave of Russians hit: air forces on turn 18, more armor on turn 19. Once again I was able to just barely stay ahead of the attackers, but I held my ground and, despite some deep losses on several units, I finished off the attackers and gained a minor victory, holding nine objective hexes on the final turn.

This was a very entertaining scenario, and I enjoyed it very much. Much like the Kotelnikovo scenario, this seemed an appropriate way to end the 1942 DLC. I do have to say, I think the Escape from Stalingrad branch seemed slightly easier than the Stalingrad Ruins branch; namely, the Kotelnikovo scenario required the player to move forward through several lines of Russian defenders, while in this scenario the Germans were in more of a defensive position and therefore could use that advantage against the Russians, who were forced to attack against dug-in defenders backed up by artillery. Nevertheless, Tatsinskaya isn’t a cakewalk either, and obviously I only got a minor victory here as opposed to my decisive victory in Kotelnikovo. So either branch offers a stiff challenge, and a good ending to the campaign.

Overall, my thoughts on the 1942 DLC are much the same as they were with the previous three: challenging, engaging game play; a good mixture of tough and not-as-tough scenarios; variety in the scenario objectives; a few nice innovations (the captured lend lease units and the named Russian “hero” units); and a timeline that is based solidly on the historical course of the war. My single complaint – and it is a very minor one – is that I didn’t feel the same attachment to the commander in this campaign as I did in the previous ’41 campaign. Perhaps there just wasn’t much opportunity for his personality to shine through in these missions, but his role seemed less lively here… he seemed more like the commander of the original PzC 1939 campaign, rather detached and not nearly as much a part of the events this time around. Again, this is a very minor issue, and of course I know we still have three more years of fighting together to see more of our commander’s “personal” side LOL.

In summary, the 1942 campaign continues to deliver the same excitement that the previous DLCs have offered, and it has been a pleasure playing it. Once more I thank the PzC team for giving me the opportunity to experience the beta, and I look forward to another year of East Front mayhem in 1943! :D

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:24 am

I totally failed the air battle by trying to preserve Prestige! I didn't upgrade to a FW190 but bought a new one extra later. It wasn't enough. At this point the Russian fighters and the Sturmovik tac bomber are more than a match for the BF109 and they don't almost one-shot a squadron anymore.

I am going to replay with 2-3 BF109 upgraded to FW190.

I was totally destroyed in this scenario and it really made me fear the upcoming 1943 / Kursk! :)

P.S. my StuG IIIB upgraded to StuH42 really kicked butt in direct fire mode. I used them to drive away the hordes of Russian Infantry.

OmegaMan1
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by OmegaMan1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:30 am

P.S. my StuG IIIB upgraded to StuH42 really kicked butt in direct fire mode. I used them to drive away the hordes of Russian Infantry.
Agreed, I purchased one of these and did a spectacular job against the Russian hordes. This upgrade, along with the FW-190, made a huge difference in this scenario.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”