DLC 42 #13 Kotelnikovo

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

DLC 42 #13 Kotelnikovo

Post by El_Condoro » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Kotelnikovo

Adean
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Adean » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:53 pm

I played as colonel, prestige 20000
As I hoped this map was about tanks, I had no problem with enemy, what a pity that Tiger will come so late. I had trouble only during the 5th turn when enemy made counter attack from north-west and from south. A lots of tank but my 4* Pz IV and Pz III killed them soon. Enemy has no air force, so you can assault all unit. I dont use FJ without track yet becuase they should die soon:( I lost 1rocketartilery.

pickle
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pickle » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:01 pm

Great scenario (general level)...lots of action and a very aggressive AI. Was on way to DV when I noticed I had forgot to move an out of gas FW190 all the way back to the airfield causing it to be lost....need to restart. On that note, a warning about out of gas aircraft at the end of the turn might be useful because I find I get pre-occupied in other places.

Had lost a couple of corps units (PVIIIN and a grenadier) when I realize the restart was needed.

Well done.

OmegaMan1
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by OmegaMan1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:34 am

Kotelnikovo. DV in 18 turns.
Start prestige: 358. End prestige: 103.
New units purchased: Two recon, one grenadier (all at deployment); one jager (turn 2).
Units lost: Core – Two recons, pioniere, infantry, AA gun, SE Panzer, regular Panzer, nebelwurfer. Auxiliary – one Stug.
Medals: 3. Heroes: 3.

This was, by far, the most frantic-paced scenario I’ve yet played in the DLCs. It starts out deceptively; for the first few turns, not much happens as the Germans slowly make their way forward to the relief forces. Then, late in the game all hell breaks loose as the Russians launch the nastiest counterattack yet seen. It took three tries to get a win in this scenario, and even in the “winning” game I took a sound beating. (I’ll recount my third game’s results here.)

I started the advance to freedom from Stalingrad by slowly moving south-by-southwest toward Kovelvka, which I took without too much difficulty on turn 6. Two important things to realize about this scenario: first, don’t rush your forces, as the Russians have LOTS of counter-forces waiting to jump on any unit that advances too far too fast. Second, keep a constant eye on fuel and ammo supplies here; after the relatively stationary fighting in Stalingrad, it was easy to forget to check on fuel supplies, and more than once my offensive stalled because a critical unit was nearly out of gas.

With resistance getting heavier, I managed to take Samokhino on turn 9; I was then hit with the first massive Russian counterattack, a large armored assault south of the objective city that hit on turn 10. It took all of my wits to defeat this attack, and my units paid dearly for it. Thankfully, despite a lot of casualties I hadn’t lost too many units, and so I made the final lunge toward Chilekovo and Gremyachana. And here was the second wave of Russian attackers: a fresh batch of Red Air Force units, a lend-lease “greatest hits” attack from the northwest, and a generous helping of SMG troops around Gremyachaya. Now, I had known of the existence of the northwestern group of forces – I had run into those guys in my previous two games. I figured I’d just leave the northwest alone, and stick to a straight-and-narrow advance down south. Yet, in this, my third game, the AI threw me for a loop by launching the northwestern forces against my units at Samokhino on turn 13 (just as I took Chilekovo).

The next five turns were the most hectic, seat-of-your-pants moments I’ve spent playing Panzer Corps. Somehow I managed to defeat the lend-lease attack by turn 19, using most of my SE Panzer units. The remainder of my forces, aided by the relief forces at the southwestern corner of the map, took on the forces around Gremyachaya. It was in these last turns I lost the bulk of my forces in this mission, but somehow I managed to blast my way into the final objective on turn 18 and gained a decisive victory.

Considering this is the final scenario (of this branch) for the 1942 DLC, I felt the difficulty level was entirely appropriate. I like how the mission lulls you into thinking that things might go rather smoothly, until the deluge comes in the last few turns. The Russian AI did a wonderful job with its forces; probably the best performance by the AI yet. (If this is indicative of how the AI will be performing in the 1943-45 DLCs, our work will definitely be cut out for us!) Of course even though I won a DV here, the losses I took were pretty bad; I would definitely have to go back and replay this a fourth time to try and cut down on my core losses. Overall, this mission is a great way to wrap up the ’42 DLC, and is a nice preview of the uphill battles that lie ahead.

(I’ll go back and replay the other two scenarios in the Escape from Stalingrad branch next.)

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 pm

So Kotelnikovo has also Tatsinskaya levels of ass whipping?! :)

I am afraid of 1943! :)

OmegaMan1
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by OmegaMan1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:43 am

So Kotelnikovo has also Tatsinskaya levels of ass whipping?!
Yes, and Kotelnikovo is supposed to be the easier of the two final missions! :shock:
I am afraid of 1943!
You and me both... 8)

pickle
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pickle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:20 pm

Easier? Not a chance...about as challenging I would say...looking forward to going through it on the new build.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”