DLC 42 #07 Novoanninsky

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

DLC 42 #07 Novoanninsky

Post by El_Condoro » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Novoanninsky

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Novoannisky. General difficulty.

No upgrades here, only reinforcements.

The briefing warns of enemy airactivity and a tank formation.
The tankformation met my forces just north of Novoannisky. 13-15str tanks! Only the KV tank didn't hestitate to attack, the rest just blocked my advance. Well, it is nothing that the Luftwaffe couldn't handle. Since they were so packed tightly i forced a couple to surrender. The self-propelled AA guns are a good addition but unfortunately they expose themselves too easily to my groundunits. There is enemy airactivity...finally! but not as much as i anticipated. This is another blitzkrieg scenario where it is relatively easy to move along the flanks and the center is stopped until the tanks are destroyed and Novoannisky is taken. The final surprise were the last objectives being guarded by 2 AA units each. Luckily a He177 bomber can take a beating.
Another AI mistake, is when a unit is scripted as attacker, it doesn't return to the rear to reinforce when badly damaged but keeps on going to the nearest player VH.
The 76.2mm AT gun is pretty lame. I did a few direct attacks with my tanks (without surpression as a test) and it hurted much more for the AT gun. I just don't see them as a threat.

DV in 11/16 turns, 4622PP.

monkspider
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by monkspider » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:10 am

Starting 7800
After upgrades 6800
Ending prestige 7700
DV on turn 12/16
No losses

I found this to be another pretty easy one, those perhaps a tad bit tougher than Voronzeh. These scenarios do reflect the dynamite success that the Germans had early on in Fall Blau. The Red Air Force was quite as tough as I expected by the scenario briefing and the armored counter-attack didn't have the punch I was expecting either. Still, an enjoyable scenario and a good representation of the early stages of Fall Blau.

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:15 pm

First impression:

Nice, some 13-15 str tanks!
But make them T-34/41, T-34/40 just doesn't cut the mustard against Pz IVG and StuG IIIF.

Update: Enemy counter attack, consisted of too much Infantry, not enough tanks despite a KV-1C. Noticed that the great thing about StuG IIIF is that they are so cheap to repair.

It's easy going so far. Let's see how this will develop. Now back to watching a bit Lord of the Rings (again).

Complete report:

Novoanninsky: DV 10/16
Start PP: 4098
End PP: 2742
Losses: -
Acquired: somehow I got a KV-1B from the previous scenario, didn't buy new units.

Not enough T-34/41. No prepared defensive positions. That's by far too easy. I would like an armored counter attack from the East/right side.
What I liked was the Russian airforce, it was not unexpectedly soon dispatched but nevertheless inflicted -4 damage on 14 STR Stukas and therefore they did their job.

No typos or text errors spotted.

Suggestion: This really cries for a small armored counter-attack around turn 8-9. Or some better defenses.
The 76mm Pak should be replaced with 85mm ATG and the 85mm AA guns are extremely bad at fighting tanks - but this would require a stat change.
No idea what to do there, but the AA guns get roflstomped by about anything.

raykruse
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by raykruse » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:23 pm

DV - Turn 13

Gameplay- No bugs/issues

Pretty straightforward scenario. I liked the attack/counter-attack by Major Viegor (15 STR KV1A) along with the group of Guards and other units North of Novoanninsky. Like some here, I think the armor should be upgraded (BT-5's at Sulyaevskiy) were too weak to pose much of a threat in the end. I 'd also echo the same comments per the T-90 SPAA which are great to see but may be best placed as a fixed AA unit as they hit my fighters, then advanced directly into my advancing PZIVG's and perished rapidly.

At this point, going forward with my core group from previous grand campaigns (as I would guess the majority of GC purchasers will be doing) I'd like to see the armor upgraded or overstrengthed to compensate.

Overall...Great job again!

deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Novoannisky

Major Viegor was a bit of a shock, but by luck I had an 88 gun in the region, and one turn later he and his T34s were gone.

There are many 13 strength T-34s. This is nice, except they are the T-34/40 models, which are wholly inadequate against the PzIVG. I slaughtered them barely taking any strength losses. They need to be upgraded to the T-34/41.

Nice to see more Lend-Lease Hurricanes.

The AI desperately needs more artillery in its battle groups. Without artillery, they don’t dare attack into my armored columns, and I clean up everything without breaking a sweat. The battle group south of Novoannisky, for instance, was too easily destroyed.

This scenario was possibly even easier than the previous one, with the exception of Major Viegor. I understand this and the previous ones are meant to be fairly easy, but it couldn’t hurt to make them somewhat harder, because at this point, who really enjoys just rolling over the AI without trying?

DV 11/16.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:10 am

Reading all of the feedback for this scenario:

Sounds like there are no serious issues with it, and that people are enjoying it. This and the previous scenario are the 'breather' scenarios, so they are mostly exist for people who are struggling to catch up (not everyone is having equally phenomenal successes).

Based on feedback, the points here that need addressing are:
A little bit harder with a stricter time limit and possibly one large sized counterattack force.

If there's anything else important you feel I missed, let us know!

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:14 am

monkspider wrote:I found this to be another pretty easy one, those perhaps a tad bit tougher than Voronzeh. These scenarios do reflect the dynamite success that the Germans had early on in Fall Blau. The Red Air Force was quite as tough as I expected by the scenario briefing and the armored counter-attack didn't have the punch I was expecting either. Still, an enjoyable scenario and a good representation of the early stages of Fall Blau.
This quote explains the intend pretty well I'd say. :)
Historically the Germans had phenomenal success at the start of Fall Blau... which led them into a false sense of confidence that lead to expanding the goals of the operation, which ultimately contributed to over-reaching and failure.
These DLC are meant to follow history fairly closely, after all. :)

andrewmazlim
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by andrewmazlim » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Really, folks. I don't know if it's me, but EXCEPT the 1st senario... all the rest so far is EXTREMELLY EASY.
(As much the 1st was VERY hard... all the rest are exactly the opposite!)

And, I found the AI not so good, so far. It's very odd, having tac. bombers flying around... and the fighters shooting on... tanks! Or, anti-tanks (AFTER TANK ATTACK, so... there is an ENEMY ARMY infront of them), moving forward to gain range and shoot down my airplanes and... they're getting ambussed by my units and eliminated completely in a singe shot!

To me... in Panzer Corp in general, I found 4-7 VERY HARD senarios. This '41's campaign, is the very 1st one. In the main P.C. campaign, I think the most difficult, was "Overlord".
THAT KIND OF DIFFICULTY I WANT (in later senarios)..., because since OUR army is getting better and better (almost ALL my units, air or ground, are with 4 or 5 stars so far!), the game's getting "walk in the park"!

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:23 pm

And what difficulty setting are you playing on? It doesn't sound like Manstein to me. :)
deducter wrote:Wow, how do you save up so much prestige? Do you never use elite reinforcements, or even lose units at all?

It seems clear to me that the only solution to you problem is to play on a higher difficulty, say, Manstein, or Rommel, or Rommel with -75% prestige (requires modding).
It's been said before, but it's worth saying again.
As deducter said, your solution is going to be to expand to the highest difficulty levels (Manstein or Rommel). There's no other way to accommodate player skill on this level without seriously damaging our ability to provide broad appeal.
Blathergut wrote:Play without the imported core so there is some feedback about the core that starts with the campaign! It sounds like most here have imported. I'm finding the scenarios tough. The third one is impossible so far. The swarms of Russians wear down the German units and the prestige (not elite) is used up about 8 turns in. :(

andrewmazlim

Post by andrewmazlim » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 pm

I was playing in COLONEL and now, I MOVED it EVEN harder, dear Kerensky!!!

andrewmazlim

Post by andrewmazlim » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 pm

The senarios are EASY, admit it.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:19 am

Making these 'hard mode' choices harder is entirely feasible, but I want to wait for more feedback before I do anything drastic.

If someone can just walk through the campaign, hard paths and all, on Manstein or Rommel without breaking a sweat, that is a problem.
If someone just breezes through the campaign on Colonel mode though... I can't see that as a good reason to make anything more difficult. Colonel is designed for players who just bought the game and are playing their very first campaign after they install Panzer Corps.

Someone who regularly uses the elite reinforcements button, someone who isn't really aware of the dangers of placing tanks in close terrain, someone who looks at a tank as a tank, they don't see that the Panzer IVG is far superior to a Panzer IIIH because they aren't familiar with the intricacies of the Panzer Corps system of stats and unit strength values and they aren't aware of the historical capability of these tanks either. It really is meant to be THAT easy.

kashor73

Post by kashor73 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:32 am

Prestige after reinforcement 18,523 (Colonel)

DV 10/16

Despite the strong armoured counterattack with overstrength units, my main thought on this scenario was 'massacre'. The formations of tanks crumpled against hero led overstrength panzers, and with no rivers to block movement support units at the rear of towns could be looped around to and destroyed very quickly.

(After this battle I realise I'll need to go back and try the 39-42 DLC at general level)

pickle
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pickle » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:13 am

I almost took a kick in the pants here as I left my left flank a little on the weak side initially. Then, my trusted, often replaced recon unit found the Soviet tank corps waiting in the weeds. A fair amount of armour diverted, heavy attacks from the Luftwaffe and the potential for an unpleasant surprise was eliminated. Meanwhile, my somewhat weakened main force continued south without too much difficulty. Took a little longer to get the DV but the flank threat had to be dealt with. My only comment would be for it to begin moving/attacking sooner the Soviet tank corps was left a little too cramped to be effective. Moreover, only one unit moved. Once discovered or sighted, maybe it should begin its attack rather than waiting for the German response? (general level)

monkspider

Post by monkspider » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:05 am

Novoannisky Redux
starting 2100
After upgrades 382
Ending prestige 448
DV on turn 15
Losses 1xRecon
My core feels like it is finally starting to get it's sea legs a bit and come into it's own. My progress on this was was definitely slower than it was the first time around but I still pulled out the DV. My prestige is still uncomfortably low though. Things are going to start getting tougher though, so we will how it goes.

OmegaMan1
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by OmegaMan1 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:51 am

Novoannisky. DV in 15 turns.
Start prestige: 755. End prestige: 551.
New units purchased: SE Panzer (at deployment).
Units lost: Core – recon.
Medals: 5. Heroes: 1.

Another straightforward scenario that isn’t tremendously challenging. I pushed southward and faced minimal resistance, although I received a nasty surprise visit from Major Viegor! His 15-strength KV caused me some headaches, but I was able to surround him and, with copious bombing and artillery fire, was able to reduce him to where I could finish him off (a feat accomplished, appropriately enough, by my own captured KV). After that I cleared out Novoannisky on turn 7 and Nekhaevskiy on turn 8. I did get hit with a sizeable Russian counterattack south of Novoannisky on turn 9, but I was able to destroy the bulk of the forces thrown at me by turn 11. Afterwards it was another race, this time to the south, and I took my final objective hex (Mikhalovka) on turn 15.

Nothing in particular stood out about this scenario; the Russian AI was capable -- although, for the second time in the ’42 campaign, I saw the AI abandon a city to attack a transport unit, at Dinamo (hex 4,25), a move which led to the unit’s destruction and easy capture of the city. The Red Air Force did a decent job harassing my units as well. I really liked the "hero" unit (Major Viegor), and I'd love to see these "one-of-a-kind" units in more scenarios (perhaps not unlike the bosses in a RPG, where the tough guy sits on the final VP hex).

I have two frames of mind regarding this scenario. On one hand, I was again appreciative of the relative ease of this mission, considering the more difficult challenges that surely lie ahead. Also, this is in line with the historical situation at the time; as the Germans pushed south, Russian resistance was sporadic, and there wasn’t much of a serious challenge to this advance in the first weeks of Fall Blau. On the other hand, I do feel a slightly more challenging scenario might be in order here; perhaps a limited Russian counterattack from the east, over the Don River, or a few more units at the southernmost objective cities (even if it is only more conscripts and other low-experience units). Overall this scenario felt very similar to Voronezh, and I think a slightly bigger challenge is in order here to make the mission stand out more. In summary, this is a decent but not very memorable scenario.

BriteLite
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by BriteLite » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:36 am

DLC 42 #07 Novoanninsky
Difficulty: Colonel
Starting Prestige: 5197

Moderate mission with the enemy units remaining mostly static in defensive positions guarding objectives. One of my damaged Stuka core units was intercepted returning to base and destroyed.

The AI is capable of some local problems but lacked supporting attacks. All in all a good change of pace compared to some of the earlier scenarios. Out of all the campaigns/scenarios/DLC’s this one for some reason most reminded me of Panzer General. I mean that as a compliment.

Decisive Victory
Turn 10
Ending Prestige 194

HeinzG
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzG » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Novoanninsky
Level: FM
Starting/ending prestige: 9996 / 11014
Uprades:
Purchase: -
Reinforcement core/aux: Elite/Normal
Result; after n-turn: DV; 11/16
Losses core/aux: 0/0

FORGOT TO REINFORCE AHEAD OF DEPLOYMENT. Didn't really bother though. :D

BAR:
I will order my army to split in two forces to encircle Novoanninskiy from the West and from the East. The eastern troops will also have to guard the two bridges crossing the Don river.

AAR:
Instead of splitting , my army just straight went down south, quickly crossed the northern passage over the Don river and took the undefended hexes in the north-east. This way, I got two pincers squishing the small forces in Pervokameskiy. Taking Novoanninskiy started a small counter-offensive with laughable weak forces. Taking the southern VH's was a question of two and a half turns then.

I'd recommend to add two experienced T34/41 and an mobile AA unit to the counter-offensive. Else, this map is quite playable in the old fashioned Blitzkrieg.

fginfo

Fginfo feedback

Post by fginfo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Looking at the string of comments, I can only say that so far, starting with the supplied core (not an imported one) at Colonel is not too difficult but not easy either. I am getting some losses because of mistakes and stretching too far and too fast. Now, of course, with an imported core and especially with a wider range of units to select at the start of each scenario, it would be much easier as I could adapt more quickly. I can maintain good prestige to keep my units overstrength, replace lost ones but not to spend on extra speciality units.

With an imported core (and probably many extra units with some specialities), I would no longer need to worry about replacing units. Looking ahead (I am now trying to survive Stalingrad), I can see how an imported core would make quite the difference.
FGinfo

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”