DLC 42 #06 Voronezh

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

DLC 42 #06 Voronezh

Post by El_Condoro » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Voronezh

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:26 am

Voronezh on General difficulty.

Reinforcements as usual at the deployment phase.

This is a great map and there is plenty of room to maneuver. I took advantage of that.
I used the tactic of the double pincher. First i enclosed Voronezh (at turn 6) - put a screenie- and in the meantime advancing to do the same in Zherdevka (at turn 9).
Russian opposition was tame, even in Voronezh. Considering the number of russian units there, they all were too passive. Air activity was very low, quite unexpected as well. I imagined the red airforce putting up a fight to -at least- slow me down. Found myself another captured tank (KV-1B), i'm sure it will be useful. After all the action in the previous scenario's i expected more.

DV in 10/16 turns and 3200PP. No units lost.

Voronezh surrounded.

monkspider
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by monkspider » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:10 am

Veronzeh
Starting prestige 8100
AfterUpgrades, etc 4500
Ending prestige 5800
DV on turn 13
No losses

This one was another easier one but still quite enjoyable. I used the bulk of my foces in the center to assault Voronzeh head-on while smaller groups crossed the river on the flanks to hit Veronzeh from the rear and then fan out to take the remaining objectives. The only thing I would say is that the airfields seem to be really few and far apart on this one. Perhaps that was by design though since the Red Air Force didn't make a very big appearance.

I have noticed the the anti-tank units are finally starting to really come into their own. I am using a couple STUGs and a Marder and they seem to be coming in handy for dealing with the heavy Soviet armor.

I also seemed to have captured a KV-1 at some point during this one.

Sleezly
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Sleezly » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Went the same way with same result!

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Hehe...

I just noticed that I forgot to deploy a single unit in the northern deployment zone of the map. :P

LOL... playing on, let's see what will happen. XD

Longasc

Post by Longasc » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Voronezh: DV 12/16
Start PP: 3707
End PP: 2098
Losses: -
Acquired: Ju87D (apparently I didn't buy one in Sevastopol as I thought)

Barely any resistance, what's up?! This scenario felt wrong to me.
Panzer IIIN continue to be excellent units with artillery support, they really wreck Infantry while advancing into city hexes.

A very unspectacular scenario! Could use an armored counter attack or a slightly improved map around Voronezh, some fortifications or whatever.
I did not expect such a walk in the park, too easy, the only thing that slowed me down was me being cautious and see above: I didn't even deploy units in the northern area.

This scenario could use some love. Somewhat disappointed.

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Started with 3155, ended with 1445 prestige.
Bought a new Pioneer as part of a new infantry recruitment so that hopefully I can have a nice sized infantry force by the time Stalingrad arrives. I went in with a new infantry, HW and FJ from last game and a new Pioneer to replace the one I lost last time this time out. I also took a vetran Pioneer, but left the flak behind in reserve. I think I should have grabbed the flak and left the vet Pioneer behind instead.

This one is pretty straight forward nice open country, big river in the middle (I had contemplated the bridge engineers but left them out and it was the right choice as the river is not a big obstacle). Once you spot the Russians you just start to blitz them, send in stuka's let the PZ IV's take out whatever is left. Not a lot of threatening counterattacks at all in this one. Getting across the rivers north and south was not even that hard, I drove a unit onto the bridge, with a Stug III behind for support, then drove onto land next turn and brought up another unit onto the bridge. Ranged artillery here is nice though as you can then shoot over the river and soften up those cities.

Voronezh is like a rock in an ocean of Nazism, you just roll up surround it and eventually swamp it. Thats all there was to it, no subtle approach etc just form a solid line and force the Russians to surrender or die, and keep filling the gaps with more troops as they appear so the AI can't spawn in front of you. The city fell fairly quickly and I was across the river before I had taken the entire city as the center had opened up with the bridge.

Biggest pain in this one is the distance to your airfields, once you get to Voronezh it takes 2 turns to get back to your airfield so capturing enemy airfields is somewhat of a priority. I found starting on turn 2 the Red Airforce shows up in some strength, I left my 88's in reserve so my ME 109's were fairly busy for a few turns. Eventually I gained air superiority and the Stuka's were free to roam at will again.

I probably could have ended this one a bit sooner but I wanted to let my new troops gain some XP so let them finish off the last city defenders. It has worked not too badly they are up to about 150+ on XP so there is hope by the time Stalingrad rolls around.
Last edited by deadtorius on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raykruse
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Veronezh

Post by raykruse » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:25 am

DV turn 13

Basically the same general experience as others posting here.

Playability: Excellent, no bugs or issues.

This scenario (to me) was well done and has a perfect setup for the inclusion of a Soviet Airborne counter-attack in turn 9-10? that I believe would give it some much-needed "scenario ending" excitement.

Though mostly used as regular infantry, Soviet doctrine called for the use of Airborne infantry as the Soviets had ten Airborne Corps with numerous Independent Airborne Brigades. Most achieved "Guards" status. 9th Guards Army was eventually formed with three Guards Rifle Corps (37th, 38th, and 39th) being of Airborne divisions. At the end of the war they were reconstituted as Guards Rifle Divisions.

Just an idea...Still enjoyable either way!

produit
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by produit » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:47 pm

DV on turn 8.
Quite an easy map...

deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Voronezh:

I’m starting to have enough prestige to overstrength again, although most of my infantry/tanks are just at 10.

I guess this scenario is trying to simulate the Russians raising a fresh conscript army, for all their units have 0 experience.

3 star conscript at (26,16). It must be hiding something. Sure enough, another captured KV1-B tank at the rough fields.

This scenario is extremely easy, due to the massive concentration of Soviet units at Voronezh. Surrenders all the way. I understand in theory this is to help the player recover from the grueling Sevastopol assault, except that assault wasn’t grueling at all.

I would add at least some more opposition east of the Don River, north and south of Voronezh, to make counterattacks should the player breakthrough there and attempt to encircle the city like I did.

DV 11/16.

andrewmazlim
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by andrewmazlim » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Okay, seriously now - dear developers...
Your senarios are fine (I just started this one), but except the VERY HARD 1st one, I found all the rest (so far) VERY EASY senarios; and in fact, I'm playing in Colonel level.
Since we ALL (at least, most of us) will use the core units from the earlier campaigns (with lots of experiance and lots looted units), it's "walk in the park" so far - except, like I wrote, the 1st one (extremelly hard and VERY-VERY interesting)...

Also, in GAMEPLAY, I found something very odd... For example, let's say I'm moving my entire army to siege/capture a city infront me, okay? So, I'm deploying/moving the tanks in the first line, the troops around them (flanks) and the artillery units behind them... BUT, many times I FORGET to check if there are other cities above/bellow and in PC turn, I'm watching enemy tanks appearing IN MY BACK from somewhere and these tanks STOPS JUST in the next square of my artillery and THEY DON'T SHOOTING - just moving and coming nearby! Why???

Another odd thing... The enemy planes attacks, but the... fighters shooting to... tanks (!), while the tact. bombers staying aside them, without action!

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:08 am

Reading all of the feedback for this scenario:

Sounds like there are no serious issues with it, and that people are enjoying it. This and the following scenario are the 'breather' scenarios, so they are mostly exist for people who are struggling to catch up (not everyone is having equally phenomenal successes).

Based on feedback, the points here that need addressing are:
A little bit harder with a stricter time limit and possible more enemy units.

If there's anything else important you feel I missed, let us know!

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:17 am

monkspider wrote:I found this to be another pretty easy one, those perhaps a tad bit tougher than Voronzeh. These scenarios do reflect the dynamite success that the Germans had early on in Fall Blau. The Red Air Force was quite as tough as I expected by the scenario briefing and the armored counter-attack didn't have the punch I was expecting either. Still, an enjoyable scenario and a good representation of the early stages of Fall Blau.
This quote explains the intend pretty well I'd say. :)
Historically the Germans had phenomenal success at the start of Fall Blau... which led them into a false sense of confidence that lead to expanding the goals of the operation, which ultimately contributed to over-reaching and failure.
These DLC are meant to follow history fairly closely, after all. :)

kashor73

Post by kashor73 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:12 am

Prestige after reinforcing 19,280 (Colonel)

DV turn 10.

1 KV-1B captured.

Similair to Serbarofopol in that the panzers had plenty of room to maneuver, and the soviet opposition wasn't too much of a challenge in the open bar the KVs. Dislodging defenders in the cities didn't take too long and the river crossing weren't too much of a threat.

HeinzG
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzG » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Voronezh
Level: FM
Starting/ending prestige: 11057 / 7996
Uprades:
Purchase: -
Reinforcement core/aux: Elite/Normal
Result; after n-turn: DV; 11/16
Losses core/aux: -/-

BAR:
As this map seems to be speedy (only 16 turns), I will tell my northern force to take Kastornoye, block the river at Zadonsk and siege Voronez.

My southern force will attemp to cross the Don at Liski, guard it and help the norhtern force to encircle Voronezh.

AAR:
According to my BAR, things worked out as planed. It was quite easy, the KV-1 in the north made a kamikaze on my two panzers guarding the bridge who were backed by my artillery. Voronezh was easy to take as the Ivan did not put it's artillery there to defend this important city. Also he wasted a precious KV-2 and some T34/41 because they were on city hexes.

After Voronezh fell in our hand, much more Sovjet resistance was expected. I could have easy safed one or two turn, but I acted to cautious.

That map seems well balanced besides the panzers in the city. Maybe I'd make it a little bit tougher to cross the Don.

pickle
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pickle » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:04 am

As stated above, definitely a breather scenario. Given the strength of my Korps, I found I had enough force to clear out the east side of the Don while plowing through all resistance heading south on the west side. The two pincers reunited and secured a DV in 11 turns (general level). Good fun sweeping across the open steppes after urban jungle of Sevastopol.

monkspider

Post by monkspider » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:43 am

Voronzeh Redux

starting 3772
After upgrades 586
Ending prestige 126
DV on turn 14
Losses: 1 fighter through blundering

Everyone's favorite band of lovable losers, Team Store Brand Core is back, and this time they are launching Fall Blau! Truthfully, other than some tight prestige issues that were largely self-inflicted, this one was still pretty easy. Somehow, I must have lost track of one of my fighters and let it run out of fuel, cue wacky sax music. I haven't done that in a while. Still a fun scenario and a welcome breather.

OmegaMan1
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by OmegaMan1 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:11 am

Voronezh. DV in 16 turns.
Start prestige: 440. End prestige: 755.
New units purchased: Infantry, two recons, Ju-87, 8.8 flak (all at deployment).
Units lost: Core – recon.
Medals: 3. Heroes: 2.

After the harrowing experience of reducing Sevastopol twice, I was hoping that Voronezh would be somewhat easier. Thankfully, that was indeed the case. With a generous prestige award at deployment I was able to refill my depleted ranks and bring all units back up to full strength. I think the Voronezh map is rather clever; viewed from north to south, it is a mirror image battlefield with both “halves” possessing similar topography. Accordingly I divided my force into two (roughly) equal battle groups and got under way. I took the first objective, Kastomoye, on turn 4, and then cautiously proceeded to Voronezh itself.

At first I considered a flanking operation – moving my north force over the Don at Zadonsk and the south force across at Liski. However, after moving closer to Voronezh I decided on a different strategy: push the bulk of my forces straight on through the city itself. This worked out splendidly, as I was able to pin the majority of the Russian defenders against each other or the Don, and thus forced a good number of units to surrender. Using this method I was able to completely clear out Voronezh by turn 9. In the meantime I sent two smaller forces out to both of my flanks, and took Liski on turn 8 and Zadonsk on turn 10.

With all of my forces across the Don, I proceeded cautiously again, this time sending a couple of panzers and recon units east, expecting at some point to be ambushed by hordes of Russian defenders. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised that the region east of the Don was devoid of any larger troop concentrations, and thus it became a race to reach the last two objectives before the turn limit was up. After gaining a captured KV-1B at Pereleshinskiy, I took both of the final VP hexes on the final turn of the mission.

On one hand, this scenario is a bit on the easy side. However, I think this is more than needed, since players will have a chance to recover from the Sevastopol battles, as well as getting in some needed experience and prestige before things really heat up in later scenarios. In summary, a fast-playing map, just right on difficulty, and offers a good respite from the more challenging missions thus far.

BriteLite
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by BriteLite » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:47 am

DLC 42 #06 Voronezh
Difficulty: Colonel
Starting Prestige: 4658

Easy mission. Enemy content to sit in city hexes. No lost units.

Decisive Victory
Turn 10
Ending Prestige 3197

pickle
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pickle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Run through on second build...no issues and similar result. If the attack had turned north towards Moscow instead of south to Stalingrad, things might have turned out different. STAVKA was quite worried about the left hook at the time.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”