DLC 42 West 02 - Bayonne

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

billmv44
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: DLC 42 West 02 - Bayonne

Post by billmv44 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Beta 2. FM level. Starting prestige 1946, ending 1319.

Only long range British aircraft in the scenario as expected. No other significant differences noted. DV on turn 9. My strategy was to fix the Brits in the north while pushing rapidly to the trains in the south. With the 3 more core slots available, I added a recon unit and 2 infantry. I also appreciate the historical tidbits at the end of the scenarios.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Allied Corps Beta Tester

monkspider
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by monkspider » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:20 am

Bayonne
Beta 2
General level
Non-imported core
Ending prestige 1492
DV on turn 8

This scenario seemed like it was actually too easy now that I know you can reinforce the train. I feel like perhaps this should be removed since it seems illogical to "reinforce" a train and the scenario briefing makes no mention that this ability is available when it is actually quite critical to winning. My Fallschirmjager that you gave me in the first scenario came in good use for stopping the saboteurs and I was able to win the scenario with quite a bit of time remaining. I would perhaps reduce the turn count to 12 and remove the ability to reinforce the trains but instead start the trains off with a higher level of entrenchment or increase their defense slightly to give them a bit more staying power.

Kamerer

Post by Kamerer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:51 am

Bayonne – beta 2, stock core

Field Marshal, DV 10/15
Begin pp: 275. End: 850. Net: +575

Core changes:
  • · Upgraded Panhard to SdKfz 232 for all-terrain mobility
    · Disbanded Somua, replaced with Pz.IV/F2
    · Disbanded Kradschutzen, replaced with Gebirgsjager
    · Upgraded 105mm with attack hero to M18
    · Purchased 2nd M18 artillery
    · Upgraded 15cm Nebelwerfer to 21cm.
    · Purchased Ju87D
Problems:
  • · Matilda, Valentine still apparently have off-world tech? Eg. – either a Romulan cloaking device, or perhaps teleportation technology? They simply appear on the map w/o warning. OR, perhaps the idea is they are hidden in the bocage and recce misses them? If that’s the theme, a scenario briefing like “the bocage terrain will prove difficult for locating enemy units, even with reconnaissance. Warn you units.”
New observations:
  • · Not new, but Paras are still static and unwilling to actively defend trains; you can just walk or motor around them.
    · Carrier offshore. Was this to support the fighter before? If there is a desire to have UK carrier aircraft for western campaign, maybe create a naval spitfire or UK version of F4F Wildcat (very common UK carrier plane).
    · Conscripts, while stats unchanged, had much less combat ability than before (I think they were juiced somehow (beta 1) ?) Felt more realistic now.
Suggestions:
  • · De-cloak UK armor, or add briefing intelligence re: bocage?
    · Increase defensive action of Paras.
    · Include carrier in scenario or remove.

Ballacraine
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Ballacraine » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:54 pm

At Colonel level coming into the scenario with a full core but less than 300 prestige after an MV on the introductory scenario due to the loss of one submarine, I was struggling for prestige & keeping units alive.

It took a bit of grind, but largely thanks to the 2 T34s I turned it around & got a DV.

I think difficulty wise it is OK as is.

A challenge but 'do-able.'

Balla. 8)

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Beta 2

Colonel, DV 14/15
Prestige start/end: 1467/1825 (so for Hardelot I had 2126)

I did not upgrade anything, only overstrenghted the artillery, the Bf 109 and the Fallschirmjager. This scenario requires good care when deploying the players' forces, which I like. I had a slighly harder time up north against the tanks until I remembered that I had received an extra SE Panzer during playtesting in the last beta, but even though I still managed it without losses, although I had to reinforce more often. This time I still had my Flammpanzer from St.Nazaire, so I could finally field-test it properly, and it works rather well in this scenario, just like the Fallschirmjager.

The trains can still be reinforced, so I assume this is intentional? Makes life relatively easy, the scenario could do without it, if they were made slightly tougher (or the saboteurs slightly weaker).

The paratroopers near the trains were still very passive (not that bad, otherwise they might wreck the trains in two turns), just as the artillery and antitank guns in Bayonne.

The removal of the Allied fighter made their airforce a lot weaker, but I often had to enter the range of AAA (Oerlikon) to get to them quickly, so the player still has to be careful when chasing after the bombers.

About the 'tanks out of nowhere', I just assumed they were hiding in the bocage, although they could also be spawned at (14,10) and (15,10) to simulate a relief force coming out of the city of Bayonne?

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:46 am

Went in with less than 1000 prestige spent most of it repairing units from first scenario. Could not buy any new units for this one. One train died on me :oops: it was killed just as I was able to punch through the para's but having moved to get there could not move any closer to train. Last turn all I could do was 1 damage per attack, not enough to quite clear a path.
Minor victory :(
ended with less than 300 prestige, actually ran out at one time but managed to capture city so got some points back. got 2 trains into the station with 1 last city still Brit. Was holding off on second train moving to their hex so I could try for extra prestige from capturing city but game ended when I hit end turn. had 4 turns left.

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:44 am

Beta 2
stock core
General
start 2217 end 2088
received elite HW Infantry :)
DV 8/15

received +1 defense hero with hwy inf
received +1 defense hero with Me-109

Kamerer

Post by Kamerer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Bayonne, beta 3 – imported core

Field Marshall, DV 6/15
Begin pp: 450. End: 1150. Net +700

Granted I know how to fight it, but I had a DV 8/15 in beta 1, blind. I think difference is imported core; I used one then, too. Also imported 4 good SE units. Maybe only allowing 2 to be imported would level the early scenarios?

Seems good, no complaints.

billmv44

Post by billmv44 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Beta 3, imported core. Starting prestige 2000, ending 1279. Repaired all units and bought a Ju-87D, Grenadier and a Recon unit.

Seems similar to the other 2 times I've played it. Punch trough to the trains as quickly as possible. DV on 9. No issues with game play or balance.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Allied Corps Beta Tester

zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Beta3 - imported core - Colonel level.
Found no changes to Beta1, got a DV a turn 7. After St. Nazaire there should also be easy to win scenarios: this is one of them. Change nothing to keep players in mood.
What should I do with these conscripts? Sell them or upgrade them? I'll wait and keep them.

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:07 pm

General with imported core

Once again the Stuka here proved invaluable taking out the artillery and then the Matilda tank. Finally polished off with a PZIII. Made much better time against the saboteurs got all 3 trains out without any losses.
Good scenario

maho1973

Post by maho1973 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 am

Bayonne - beta 3

Stats: Preset Core, Difficulty: Colonel, Begin: 293 PP (after some upgrades) - End: 847 PP (+ 300 PP for DV 10/15)

Upgrades: 10,5 cm Arty to 21 cm Arty, Nebelwerfer '41 to Nebelwerfer'42 - Changes: disbanded the Somua and bought a Pz IV F2 and a paratrooper

In this scenario time is the key. Also a great scenario over all. The paratroopers who are guarding the raiders are a little bit too passive.
The possibility to "repair" the trains is good and should be maintained.
The reinforcements are very good, especially the T-34. :D

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 pm

beta 3

Colonel, DV 10/15
prestige start/end 904/1602

Was able to quickly neutralize the Saboteurs with a concentrated attack in the South and the Fallschirmjager which I dropped next to the southernmost train. Had a tougher time up north, where I was happy to just hold the line. Allies sent one tank south through the river east of Bayonne, but I could destroy it after I diverted some forces. When I could link up from the south through Bayonne, it was over quite quickly.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”