Allied: Beda Fomm

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Allied: Beda Fomm

Post by uran21 »

Please post here your comments about this scenario.
billmv44
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Allied: Beda Fomm

Post by billmv44 »

General level. Starting Prestige 3155, ending 2638. Triumph on 13/16.

I won the race to the coast and was able to turn the Italian back each time they hit my forces. Again, if the AI had coordinated his attacks, he would have been able to get some units through. The Triumph was given on turn 13 despite there still being a group of about a dozen enemy units near Sceleidima moving south.

All in all, a little more difficult than some of the earlier scenarios. This one probably only needs minor tuning.

I still have my cruiser, but nowhere to deploy it.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Allied Corps Beta Tester
Kamerer
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kamerer »

8.) Beda Fomm – beta 1

Level: Field Marshal
Prestige: Begin: 1,425 (after purchases). End: 1,725. Net: +300.
Result: DV 16/16
Replacement policy: Sent air, arty, tanks out at 11.

Core Changes:
  • Disbanded: None

Purchased:
    • 1x Matilda
      1x Vickers Mk.IV

Upgraded:
    • 2x Infantry to HW
Problems:
  • • No message screen about new equipment.
    • Word choice in victory conditions on turn screen: “core.” It usually always means your forces. Perhaps change it to “opponent” or “Italian” for consistency/clarity.
General impressions/comments:
  • • Scenario seemed straightforward and worked well.
    • I had to really bloody up some units at the end to finish the retreating force, I had no spare unspent units. I’d add a turn or two to make it less difficult. It was possible to wipe out the overwhelming units in “Italian Offensive,” and it was slightly harder to finish off retreating units here. Perhaps some should be weakened and not all full-strength, for example.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Colonel level.
Upgrades:none
Purchases:none
SE units received: Spitfire I (very nice pic) :)

I left the Stirling and AA in the barracks. Deployed the SE unit after my three core planes. Moving towards the coast and holding those positions is pretty straightforward. Wave after wave of italian units were destroyed, a real shooting gallery. Very easy mission and no italian planes whatsoever. During this mission it was raining heroes and medals. 12 italian units were still positioned in the vicinity of Sceleidima after i got the DV.

Losses:none , DV 13/16 , 4522PP
Ballacraine
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Ballacraine »

Victory conditions refer to enemy 'core' units.
Shouldn't the reference be to just 'All enemy units.' & 'All but 10 enemy units.' ?

SE Spitfire 2 unit, whilst very nice is an anachronism as it depicted in D-Day markings.

Balla. :cool:
LostAgain
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by LostAgain »

Playing FM. FINALLY a scenario with a bit of a challenge.THIS is more like it, I was forced to run around helter skelter in a desperate attempt to keep Italian units from bypassing me. It is possible though and I achieved a DV fairly easily, but I'd like to reiterate, this is the most challenging scenario to date! I was also pleased to receive a Spitfire SE unit as I had suggested aircraft SE units way back in the '40 or '41 East campaigns!
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

The last sentence in the Triumph debrief seems a little off.

Perhaps replace with:

'Splendid job! Absolutely first class!'

Balla. 8)
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

Another thought.

If there had been such a rout wouldn't there have been a significant amount of captured equipment?

Balla. :wink:
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

General
start 2863
end 2276
Purchased half way through map: Beaufighter
Triumph

This is the scenario where we can add a captured unit. The other maps are too early and not enough slots.
But here we have a chance to award a captured unit for entering the city on the far left. El Magrum or Gehmines.

Also, a warning message then: Counter attack by the auxiliary units would be nice on this map.
Somewhere around turn 9 or later.
Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc »

Beda Fomm

Level: General
Start Prestige: 2958
End Prestige: 1070
Result: VICTORY only (aka Minor Victory) 16/16
Bought/Upgraded/Losses: No losses, left my useless Matilda - this is a "chase" scenario - at home and bought another Cruiser IV. Overstrengthened 5 Cruisers to 15! Bought a Hurricane. Also left my Artillery undeployed as it is self-propelled. 1353 Prestige at start.

GREAT scenario! I had trouble with irregular sandstorms and desert terrain supply restrictions. It was a nice lesson in recon, one Sahariana really slipped through my lines and two AT guns could not be killed in time anymore. I think 16 turns is a good mix of challenge and making it not too hard if people can't do it. Nevertheless I wasted tons of prestige trying to get the Decisive Victory (Triumph) and my 15 STR tanks suffered losses against the Italian 10 STR tanks nevertheless. (Sidenote: It might get annoying, but the evaluation of the new overstrength mechanics needs some more scenarios practice to come to a conclusion). The Escarpment terrain in the Northeast is a mess of weird terrain tiles, needs a clean up.

* they clearly intend to evacuate the whole of Cyrenaica. BedaFommA.pzbrf
-> Ballacraine, what do you think, isn't it the whole Cyrenaica without of or does it only sound wrong to me?
* The Briefing says "kill all Core Units*
-> shouldn't it be "destroy all enemy units", the term "core" mostly refers to the player.
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

I think the first sentence is OK but I agree about your second suggestion.

Balla :)
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

No, there is a difference between core and auxiliary units.

Even for the AI, they have Gold and Silver borders.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

Beda Fomm

General Tr 12/16

Prestige before/after deployment: 3290/1858
Prestige on last turn/incl. victory bonus: 2091/4228

Nice run-and-hit scenario, the turn splash screen which states the victory conditions could be a bit more clear. I understand that for a Triumph you have to destroy all Italian core units and for a Victory all but 10 Italian core units. The auxiliary Italians also on the map do not count, because the are not Italian core units. I was a bit mystified by the Italian auxiliary force, but maybe I didn't trigger them.

And I echo Ballacraine, where are the spoils of war? I've managed to dig up some Australian internet history book, https://www.awm.gov.au/histories/second ... elID=67903, see chapter 11, page 276:
After Beda Fomm only twelve cruiser tanks and forty light tanks (comment: all British tanks) were in action. The 3rd Hussars were re-equipped with all the serviceable light tanks and the 6th Royal Tanks with Italian mediums; there were about sixty new Italian M13's with only a few hundred miles on their speedometers among those captured.
uran21

Post by uran21 »

Thanks to all for the feedback so far. Defensive scenario with an element of rush at start. Italian auxiliaries were placed on map to prevent player from outflanking Italians from that direction but later I realized it was not necessary. Indeed this is perfect spot to place some captured equipment but... You will hear more about captured equipment later.
I agree core and auxiliary units have their strength plate identification for both sides.
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

I am probably to slow (damn you work) as Uran21 already posted here but maybe he looks here again:

Scenario: Bardia
Outcome: Victory on turn 16/16
Starting Prestige: 4193
End Prestige: 2842 - 4167 (incl. victory reward)
Core: 3 x Infantry, 1 x Engineer, 3 x Cruiser IV, 1 x RR recon, 2 x 6 inch guns, 1 x Hurricane Mk.I, 1 x Beaufighter

Bought one of the 3 Cruisers at the start. Overstrengthed again all artillery and planes to 15, left the other units at 10. I am slowly coming to the conclusion tho that it may be cheaper in the long run to overstrength everything . The AI seems to be very reluctant to attack most of units with 15 STR due to bad prediction.

I made the mistake of not reading the briefing carefully and tried to cover the whole map leading to my defense along the coast to be a bit weak and i got a bit swamped. I didn't lose any unit but i took quite sever beating and had to spend a lot of prestige on reinforcements. When i wasn't watching closely enough a sneaky L3/35 tankette sneaked past my defensive lines and left me standing with just a victory. If i knew it went past my lines i could have hunted it down but well i didn't noticed that.

Overall due my mistake of spreading my forces thin the mission was quite challenging and hectic. I guess if i had moved all my forces to the coast and organized my defense properly it would be a lot easier. Going to play it again, this time proper before making final comment.

EDIT: Took another playthrough, buying and reinforcement done as before but this time i moved all my troops to the coast and established a proper defensive line there. Outcome was a Triumph at 16/16. Prestige at the end: 3618 (5781 incl. victory reward). The mission was a lot easier this time but by far not a pushover. The difficulty seems to be well balanced here. I bet people complaining the mission is to easy are all playing with all their units overstrenghted to 15.
produit

Post by produit »

Triumph 11/16. FM. Chess mode. Ending prestige 1133.
Deployed 4x Cruisers IV Tanks, 3x 6 inches artillery, 1 HW infantry, 1 Engineer, 2 Beaufighters and 1 Stirling. All OS to 15.
Easy scenario, having just to destroyed the Italian units, which were ambushed. I lost 1 strength point only during the scenario.
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

Replayed the scenario in Beta 2. Everything seems same as before. Overall a nice and good scenario imho. Can stay like it is except for some cosmetic work on the map but its work to be done yet as already stated.
Attachments
(11.05.2013) Beda Fomm, Turn 15.zip
Beda Fomm AC Beta 2 replay
(49.78 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
monkspider

Post by monkspider »

Beda Fomm beta 2

Level: General
Ending Prestige 3035
DV 14/16

This was another great scenario! I greatly enjoyed the rush to set up a solid defensive line. The Italians have quite a bit of medium armor, which is of respectable quaility. Fortunately, the RAF, including a new SE Spitfire, managed to keep them at bay. It was pretty easy overall, but still a fun one.
Attachments
Beda Fomm replay beta 2 monkspider.zip
(50.24 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
okiemcguire
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by okiemcguire »

7) Beda Fomm - Beta 2

Level: Colonel
Prestige Begin: 3476 Deploy after Inc/Upg/Pur: 2636 End: 2815
Result: Triumph 16/16

Brought core to full force Elite (-193)
OS by 1 all Elite (-277)
Purchased Brit HW Inf w/Bren Carrier (-264)
Upgraded QF 25 pndr to BL 6 Inch (-106)

Comments: Pretty straight forward mission. I was really surprised by the number of Italian tanks. Had to resupply a lot. Took up 2 artillery backed defensive positions and let them run into me over and over and over... Eventually swept the enemy and victory hexes clean on turn 16.4
Attachments
(11.05.2013) Beda Fomm, Turn 16.zip
(58.78 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

Simiar problem to previous scenario as in incorrectly aligned tiles on the ridges in the North East corner of the map.

Balla :cool:

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”