GS Beta Bug Reporting

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: GS Beta Bug Reporting

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:01 pm

No. The NW Volunteer Standarte is using the Dutch colors since the unit is considered to contain Dutch and Belgian volunteers to the Axis cause

TotalerKrieg
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TotalerKrieg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:21 pm

OK, thanks. BTW, those later scenarios look really great!

dagtwo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by dagtwo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 am

Stauffenberg wrote:It takes a long time for the standard gauge to reach the cities in the Caucasus. The rail conversion moves 2 hexes per turn in fair weather. They start at the border so they need many turns to get all the way to Batumi. You can look at the map and check where the rail heads are.
It was early winter when I asked so I waited for clear weather. The rail conversion went all the way to the Caucasus chain before the bad weather started. It's now July 16 of the following year with several turns of fair weather and still no rail conversion inside the Caucasus cocoon. Are you sure this isn't a bug?
Hex grids Rule!

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Good catch. This is no game bug, but a design bug. The problem is that rail hexes spread from major power capitals through land hexes except mountain, swamp and dune. The problem is that we on the map have a contiguous mountain line form the Black Sea to the Caspian sea. This means it's impossible for rail conversion to cross this mountain ridge. Therefore you get no rail conversion south of the Caucasus.

We therefore need to alter the map and change hexes from mountain to rough where the rail lines actually went.

So we will make a slight change in the map so there will be possible to have rail conversion along both the Black Sea and Caspian Sea coasts.

We have a similar issue between Persia and Russia and Turkey and Russia so we will open these too where the actual rail lines went.

In Europe we also need to open the Alps so we get rough in Innsbruck and 1x S of Innsbruck (the Brenner pass) so you can have rail movement between Germany and Italy. There was a Swiss rail line too so we have to make changes in Switzerland. It's not like it will be used since Switzerland is neutral, but in theory you can DoW Switzerland and get rail movement between Germany and Switzerland to Italy. This means Bern and Zurich + 2 other hexes will become rough. Switzerland is actually not only pure mountain.

Paul will make the map changes today and I will alter the map. These changes will be part of the final version we send to Slitherine. They won't affect ongoing games and the impact is very little. You only need the changes if you as the Axis get across the Caucasus (very hard to accomplish in GS).

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Diplomaticus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:50 am

Stauffenberg wrote:We have a similar issue between Persia and Russia and Turkey and Russia so we will open these too where the actual rail lines went..
I thought in an earlier post it was stated that historically there was no rail line between Persia and the Caucasus area in southern Russia.

dagtwo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by dagtwo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:56 am

Good catch on the Caucasus bubble. Another minor annoyance, when Russia surrenders all Russian rail reverts to wide gauge instantly. Axis forces are then stranded in Russia and have to walk back. Very Napoleon.
Hex grids Rule!

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:59 am

Another good catch. I fixed the rail gauge regarding Russian surrender and the fix will be part of the final version. Now the rail gauge will not change when Russia surrenders. Germany can still convert more and more of the hexes till standard gauge.

I guess we haven't seen any Russian surrenders in GS for a very long time. :)

JimR
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by JimR » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:25 pm

A Britain-bound convoy sailed through the Brest port hex, even though Brest is German occupied. How is this possible?

Schnurri
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Schnurri » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:35 pm

I've seen that a couple of times. Really nice for the Axis if there is a sub in port. Fire the captain of that convoy.

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:06 am

Schnurri wrote:I've seen that a couple of times. Really nice for the Axis if there is a sub in port. Fire the captain of that convoy.
I have seen that a couple of times, I assumed it wwas becaise ports were treated as see hex's for the purpose of naval movement?

JimR

Post by JimR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:39 am

If this kind of convoy movement is "normal," then it's good to know about it. I had positioned potential ambush U-boats around the convoy, not thinking that it could simply sail through the Brest port hex. Other naval or sea transport units cannot enter enemy controlled port hexes, so the convoy exception is odd.

richardsd

Post by richardsd » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:56 am

JimR wrote:If this kind of convoy movement is "normal," then it's good to know about it. I had positioned potential ambush U-boats around the convoy, not thinking that it could simply sail through the Brest port hex. Other naval or sea transport units cannot enter enemy controlled port hexes, so the convoy exception is odd.
yep, again I assumed that bit of code wasn't quite upto scratch!

pk867
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by pk867 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:00 am

How often does a convoy go up the channel? I have played a lot of games, but only 3 convoys made it into the western end of the channel before a course correction to go North into
St. Georges Channel and to a port. Can you post a picture? Is it just the arrows that appears to make it look like the convoy went through the port?

Curious.

richardsd

Post by richardsd » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:39 am

pk867 wrote:How often does a convoy go up the channel? I have played a lot of games, but only 3 convoys made it into the western end of the channel before a course correction to go North into
St. Georges Channel and to a port. Can you post a picture? Is it just the arrows that appears to make it look like the convoy went through the port?

Curious.
mostly you only notice when it hits a sub!

richardsd

Post by richardsd » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:48 am

very small bug in the casualty list

I only noticed because I was deploying a BEF (unusual for me) with the goal of making the Axis spend a few more PP's and oil! and the screen early on said I had lost 1 MECH/ARM, which I hadn't.

the later picture below shows 2 lost, as I have indeed lost 1 (which I traded for a German MECH)

any idea's on the ghostly MECH?

richardsd

Post by richardsd » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 am

and not a bug, just me getting it wrong!

I have been duking it out a bit in France and thought I had an escape route Dunkirk) for my GAR. Should we amend the rule to include the 1 hex in Belgium?

I think we should as we are getting the whole of the French coastline and this is actually right on Dunkirk!

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kragdob » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:56 am

Does increase in Soviet techs affects new games only?

Is enemy forces screen visible also for final release? Should e.g. Axis not be aware of US builds until they recon them or meet on the battlefield?
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

richardsd

Post by richardsd » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:58 am

richardsd wrote:and not a bug, just me getting it wrong!

I have been duking it out a bit in France and thought I had an escape route Dunkirk) for my GAR. Should we amend the rule to include the 1 hex in Belgium?

I think we should as we are getting the whole of the French coastline and this is actually right on Dunkirk!
I have just noticed it now says 3 - I wonder if evacuated units have something to do with it?

JimR

Post by JimR » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:09 am

richardsd wrote:
pk867 wrote:How often does a convoy go up the channel? I have played a lot of games, but only 3 convoys made it into the western end of the channel before a course correction to go North into

Curious.
mostly you only notice when it hits a sub!
I can't reproduce the event. When I replay this (now old) turn, setting the U-boat ambush in place west of Brest and then hitting the "end turn" button, the convoy crashes into one of the U-boats rather than sailing gracefully through the Axis-controlled (but empty of units) Brest port hex. But sailing through the Brest port hex, headed north to western Britain, is what the convoy did in the "real" game turn. As the convoy did so, in the "real" game turn, the screen animation showed it passing through Brest port.

avoran
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by avoran » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:52 am

I've also seen convoys go through Brest and get caught by a sub there. It's definitely happening!

Return to “Commander Europe at War : GS Open Beta”