Bug: Finland armistice

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Bug: Finland armistice

Post by Kragdob » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 pm

For Finland to sign armistice it should be
PionUrpo wrote:It's 2 cities and <6 Axis units in Finland.
In my game Axis DOWed Soviets in 1942. Couple of turns after that I have 2 cities and 0 Axis units in Finland.... + Tallin.

Finland still is fighting.Is it a bug?
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

PionUrpo
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Bug: Finland armistice

Post by PionUrpo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Kragdob wrote:For Finland to sign armistice it should be
PionUrpo wrote:It's 2 cities and <6 Axis units in Finland.
In my game Axis DOWed Soviets in 1942. Couple of turns after that I have 2 cities and 0 Axis units in Finland.... + Tallin.

Finland still is fighting.Is it a bug?
Finnish units are Axis too :wink:

Kragdob

Post by Kragdob » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 am

Ok - got it now :)
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Why consider Talinn as a Finland city ? Talinn is the capital of Estonia ,never belong to Finland .

PionUrpo

Post by PionUrpo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:48 pm

As I pointed out in the AAR, German presense in Estonia was one factor when Finland was seeking a separate peace with the Soviets. As long as the Germans were seen to be in a position to easily retaliate against Southern Finland there were reservations against the Armistice within the Finnish leadership.

Anyway, this situation was unique to 1944. Perhaps we could somehow modify the Armistice event so that it doesn't count Tallinn until late-war when Germans are being pushed back?

Or just keep a unit in Joensuu during the offensive to Eastern Karelia :D
It's not like a single garrison can't be spared for it...

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:24 pm

I don't think this is a problem. Morris messed up big time by removing the Axis forces around Leningrad. If you make such a mistake you pay the price. Most Axis players kill the Russian units in front of Leningrad and keep 2 units to block Russian access to southern Finland.

Finland also needs to keep garrisons in coastal cities to prevent Russian amphibious landings.

We don't alter the game because a player is too aggressive and gets punished by his opponent. Morris abandoned the area and invited the Russians to run into Finland. So this is not going to happen in many games.

joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Agreed. And if you think about it, it wouldn't be very historical for the Finns to send most of their troops away from Finland anyway, at least before the Axis had secured the Leningrad/Novgorod area. The armistice rule forces the Axis player to play the Finns in a more historical way, which is a good thing. Like Borger said, an early armistice signing won't happen in the vast majority of games, and is relatively easy to prevent. Not a problem at all.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:59 am

Actually the Finns refused to fight the Russians in the area outside the Karelia area the Russians took from Finland in the winter war.

Finland joined the Axis to regain lost territory, not to fight deep into Russia. So German units had to fight against Russia e. g. near Murmansk.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:41 am

Stauffenberg wrote:I don't think this is a problem. Morris messed up big time by removing the Axis forces around Leningrad. If you make such a mistake you pay the price. Most Axis players kill the Russian units in front of Leningrad and keep 2 units to block Russian access to southern Finland.

Finland also needs to keep garrisons in coastal cities to prevent Russian amphibious landings.

We don't alter the game because a player is too aggressive and gets punished by his opponent. Morris abandoned the area and invited the Russians to run into Finland. So this is not going to happen in many games.
Actually , of course I should pay for my stupid mistake of careless . The reason I pointed out this is only for team's reference whether this is a bug . You don't need to alter the game because a player is too aggressive and gets punished by his opponent , but you need to see whether this is a problem of game even it is very small . I did never care about win or lose ,so I rather won't care about paying price for my mistakes ! I usually make many mistakes in the game . I enjoy the course & learn from it . BTW , thanks Joe gave me this impressive lesson ! :)

Return to “Commander Europe at War : GS Open Beta”