Swedish iron ore not interdicted?

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Swedish iron ore not interdicted?

Post by Kragdob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi,

It is turn 28, mud/winner in Sweden. I have 2 RN BBs next to Bergen port (but not to city itself) but I do not see the iron ore intercepted. Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Swedish iron ore not interdicted?

Post by zechi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:49 pm

I think it can only be interdicted during fair weather.

Cheers Zechi

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Diplomaticus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Interdiction occurs only in mud/winter weather in the North/East climate zone.

If I understand the rule aright, you need a surface ship next to at least 2 different Norwegian ports to interdict the full amount. (I think having 2 ships next to only 1 port will only net 50% interdiction.)

Kragdob

Post by Kragdob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Diplomaticus wrote:Interdiction occurs only in mud/winter weather in the North/East climate zone.

If I understand the rule aright, you need a surface ship next to at least 2 different Norwegian ports to interdict the full amount. (I think having 2 ships next to only 1 port will only net 50% interdiction.)
Nope. I hotseated it a little bit and something seems to be working wrong. Namely interdiction works only if you have a vessel next to one of Norwegian resource: Stavanger or Kristiansand. Then units next to ports (Bergen, Trondheim, Oslo) count. If you don't have units next to those resources you can have any number of RN but they doesn't do anything.

Of course weather must be mud/winter.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:21 pm

I tried the Swedish iron ore interdiction and it works well. The code checks if you have an Allied naval unit adjacent to a Norwegian city or port. It counts each of Trondheim, Bergen, Stavanger, Kristiansand and Oslo. So you add 1 point if you interdict the Bergen city or port. If you interdict both you only get 1 point. If you in addition interdict e. g. Stavanger you increase to 2 points.

Please note that each Axis naval unit in Norwegian ports count against the total sum. So if you send 1 Allied naval unit to interdict e. g. Bergen and Germany has a BB in Trondheim then the total will become 0 and you won't have succeeded with the interdiction.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:23 pm

If the sum of interdictors minus the sum of defenders is 2 or higher then you completely interdict the iron ore (value drops to 0). If the difference is 1 then you interdict half (value drops from 6 to 3). If the difference is 0 or lower the value remains at 6.

Kragdob

Post by Kragdob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:I tried the Swedish iron ore interdiction and it works well. The code checks if you have an Allied naval unit adjacent to a Norwegian city or port. It counts each of Trondheim, Bergen, Stavanger, Kristiansand and Oslo. So you add 1 point if you interdict the Bergen city or port. If you interdict both you only get 1 point. If you in addition interdict e. g. Stavanger you increase to 2 points.

Please note that each Axis naval unit in Norwegian ports count against the total sum. So if you send 1 Allied naval unit to interdict e. g. Bergen and Germany has a BB in Trondheim then the total will become 0 and you won't have succeeded with the interdiction.
OK, I got how it works. Only one unit next to resource counts. So if you have one Axis BB in a port you need Allied units next to two different resources to get partial result and 3 units next to three different resources to get full result.

Shouldn't it work like you can have unlimited number of units next to single resource for it to work (naval blocade)?

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by amcdonel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:50 pm

FYI, from the yet to be published GS 2.1 Manual:

Swedish iron ore interdiction:
◆ Prerequisite is that Sweden is neutral. If Sweden activates then the resources will go to the country in control of Sweden.
◆ Added the conditions that the ore can only be interdicted if the weather in the iron ore hex is not fair and can only begin in March 1940. That is, Mud or Winter weather is in effect.
◆ The game checks if one or more surface naval unit is adjacent to any of the 5 Norwegian cities / ports.
◆ For each city/port a side has a surface naval unit adjacent that side gets +1 to the interdict / protect sum. This means it won't help having more than 1 naval unit interdicting at a given city / port. The max possible number of interdiction points is 5 (i.e., equal to total number of coastal cities in Norway). City/Ports are: of Trondheim, Bergen, Stavanger, Kristiansand and Oslo.
◆ Note: Add 1 point if you interdict the Bergen city or port. If you interdict the city and the port of Bergen you still only get 1 point.
◆ Germany can place surface naval ships in one or more of the 3 ports to gain a protect point for the city / port. That's a safe way to prevent being attacked by Allied ships. That is, each Axis naval unit in Norwegian ports counts against the total allied sum. So if Allies send 1 naval unit to interdict e. g. Bergen and Germany has a BB in Trondheim then the total will become 0 and Allies won't have succeeded with the interdiction.
◆ If interdict - protect >= 2 then iron ore value is set to 0.
◆ If interdict - protect = 1 then iron ore value is halved (to 3).
◆ If the interdict - protect < 1 then the iron ore value is at full value (4).
◆ This simple rule is used regardless of Norway being neutral or Axis controlled. By having Norway Axis controlled it's safer to prevent interdiction and it's easier to punish Allied interdictors.
◆ It should be possible to interdict the iron ore even when Germany controls Norway because the route was vulnerable at all time. But the Allies won't risk doing it until they can challenge the German presence in Norway. If the Allies take a port city it means that the Germans can't use a safe way by having a surface ship in the port to reduce the differential.
◆ Added texts for both conditions above if the Allies have interdictors adjacent to Norwegian cities / ports.

Kragdob

Post by Kragdob » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Looks good. Minor correction: full value is 6.

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by amcdonel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Oops!

Thanks!!

Return to “Commander Europe at War : GS Open Beta”