Swedish Iron Ore

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

ncali
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Swedish Iron Ore

Post by ncali » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:27 pm

In looking at one of the AAR's, I noticed it was suggested the British can paradrop from Trondheim and take the iron ore in Sweden without a DOW (since the iron ore is Axis controlled). I would consider this to be a bug.

If the intention is that Sweden might shut off iron ore shipments if Norway were Allied control, then that should be the rule. If the intention is that Sweden would continue to ship iron ore to Germany, then the Allies should have to declare war on Sweden to shut it down. In any case, the Allies could not paradrop into Sweden, seize the iron ore deposits, and just sit there until the end of the war while the Swedes happily go about their business.

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Swedish Iron Ore

Post by Kragdob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:03 pm

ncali wrote:In looking at one of the AAR's, I noticed it was suggested the British can paradrop from Trondheim and take the iron ore in Sweden without a DOW (since the iron ore is Axis controlled). I would consider this to be a bug.

If the intention is that Sweden might shut off iron ore shipments if Norway were Allied control, then that should be the rule. If the intention is that Sweden would continue to ship iron ore to Germany, then the Allies should have to declare war on Sweden to shut it down. In any case, the Allies could not paradrop into Sweden, seize the iron ore deposits, and just sit there until the end of the war while the Swedes happily go about their business.
Neither should they be able to bomb it.
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:33 pm

I fixed both bugs and ensured the same rules apply to the Baku oil traded to Germany and the Spanish tungsten ore traded to Germany.

As long as the countries are neutral then you can now not paradrop to or bombard the hexes. The fix will be available in the final version.

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:21 pm

will winter shipments of ore be totally blocked in Allies have conquored Norway?

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 pm

You still should park naval units into ports and make sure there are no german ones, I believe.

Kragdob

Post by Kragdob » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:04 am

richardsd wrote:will winter shipments of ore be totally blocked in Allies have conquored Norway?
Should be if you asked me but now you still need warships parked to stop transports.
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:41 pm

I checked this and changed code so Allied control of any of the Norwegian cities and rail depots count as one naval unit per city / rail depot controlled. So the Allies can invade Norway (before or after German occupation) and occupy / liberate the Norwegian cities. That means the Allies can interdict the Swedish iron ore route during winter/mud turns without having the Royal Navy blocking.

In the real war control of Narvik would determine if the Swedish iron ore could sail via Narvik or not. Allied control of Narvik would interdict the ore. Since Narvik is offmap we need to use the cities onmap instead.

This means it's probably smart for the Germans to place the Kriegsmarine in Norwegian ports and garrisons in the controlling cities. That would make it harder for the Allies to invade Norway to stop the iron ore.

In fair weather turns the iron ore will sail via Luleå to Germany and it can't be interdicted by the Allies unless Sweden is occupied. Then the iron ore hex will change to Allied control.

The bugfix will be part of the final version.

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Diplomaticus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:I fixed both bugs and ensured the same rules apply to the Baku oil traded to Germany and the Spanish tungsten ore traded to Germany.

As long as the countries are neutral then you can now not paradrop to or bombard the hexes. The fix will be available in the final version.
In a current game, the Allies captured Portugal and then were able to move an infantry corps into the Spanish Tungsten mine without declaring war on Spain, so this bug doesn't seem to be fixed. I am using an up-to-date version of the game (as of July 7, 2012, I think), but my opponent is using a somewhat earlier version (we get 'checksum' errors every turn), so maybe that's the problem? My opponent is playing Allies, so maybe his earlier version of the game is what's permitting the exploit?

pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Yes that is why you are getting checksum errors. This was created to notify players about mismatched versions being played.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:17 pm

It's rather hard to debug if people are using old game versions.

Can you maybe try a solo game where you just move to see if you can enter the Spanish tungsten mine hex as the Allies when the armistice offer has been rejected and Spain is still neutral?

That is the best way to verify if the bug is truly fixed or not. Use the GS v2.10 final version.

Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:It's rather hard to debug if people are using old game versions.

Can you maybe try a solo game where you just move to see if you can enter the Spanish tungsten mine hex as the Allies when the armistice offer has been rejected and Spain is still neutral?

That is the best way to verify if the bug is truly fixed or not. Use the GS v2.10 final version.
I think the problem is that (unless I'm mistaken?) the latest version of the game hasn't been available to everybody. Do I have this wrong? Is the most up-to-date version of the game available to everyone on the Beta team? If so, I'll make sure my opponent updates before we go any farther.

timrt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by timrt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Where do we find the GS v2.10 final version please?

Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:00 pm

timrt wrote:Where do we find the GS v2.10 final version please?
I think this is just the problem. If you're on a Mac, Paul has already sent us an email telling us how to download the latest version using Filezilla. For the PC players, I just don't know how it's done or who's in charge. As Borger points out above, it's hard to do proper vetting when we're not all using the same game version. But our Alpha team people might have a bandwidth problem that prevents them from distributing the updated patches/files to all the PC Beta people?

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Diplomaticus wrote:
timrt wrote:Where do we find the GS v2.10 final version please?
I think this is just the problem. If you're on a Mac, Paul has already sent us an email telling us how to download the latest version using Filezilla. For the PC players, I just don't know how it's done or who's in charge. As Borger points out above, it's hard to do proper vetting when we're not all using the same game version. But our Alpha team people might have a bandwidth problem that prevents them from distributing the updated patches/files to all the PC Beta people?
The latest PC file set has been uploaded over the top of the older file set. Everything's the same as before with respect to getting that file set. And for the folks that want it then all you need to do (as posted in another thread) is PM me with your email address and whether or not you play on a MAC or PC. If on the PC, I will include a set of instructions on how to manually set up (i.e., install) the file set with the two caveats: (1) I won't be able to provide any support (or answer any questions) concerning the manual installation and (2) there is always a possibility that the final and released version may contain updates not yet in this file set.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : GS Open Beta”