Which are your favourite WWII Italian Campaign forces?

Team Assault is a 3D turn based tactical game where players fight in close combat action at a squad level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Team Assault Design, Zeal

Laxen
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Which are your favourite WWII Italian Campaign forces?

Post by Laxen »

Team Assault will be released including a bunch of prebuilt forces. Some players might prefer playing with these for their entire gaming experience, while I think most will use them only while getting familiar with the gameplay and then will want to start designing their own forces.

I would like to know which divisions, battalions or infantry companies from the WWII Italian Campaign, both Axis and Allies, that are your favourites or that you for any reason request to be included in the game. Is it the Devil's Brigade? Or maybe Fallschirm-Panzer Division 1 Hermann Göring? There is a great chance that these forces will make it into the game.

If you want, feel free to add a short description of it and why you think it should be included!

And don't worry. Just because the force is originally included in the game doesn't mean that you can build it for yourself as well or edit the force designed by us.
Rasmus Davidsson
Lead Designer at ZEAL Game Studio
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

I'll say this first, the casual American wargamer is not very familiar with the Italian campaign. Probably his knowledge comes from the few movies made about it. Anzio, Go For Broke, Devil's Brigade, others?

As a veteran of Combat Mission series, there didn't seem to be much interest in Italy with the 3rd game, CMAK. But that game is armour centric with combined arms focus.

You may have to educate the forum lurkers as to the actions that you propose to include with links to your research websites.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.
sullafelix
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by sullafelix »

Cassino, Cassino, Cassino.

Hunters from the sky and all the allied forces used in the battles also. This battle by far was fought by infrantrymen. perfect for your game. The intensity of the combat for it's length and fierceness was second to none in the Western-Southern fronts.
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

j2d: Ye, you're right. This campaign is not the most represented among those taking place during WWII, so I understand it's not easy picking divisions from the top of your head. Team Assault: Baptism of Fire will not cover any specific part of the Italian campaign, so anything and all about it is up for grabs. I'm not trying to force you guys to make the research. It's only if anyone has something he or she wish to have included among the forces, now is the time to talk. Else, I will go for own knowledge and do some additional research about it, and hopefully everyone will be happy anyway :)

To get people thoughts moving, here are some of the more renown battles/scenarios:
Monte Cassino (as antony said)
The Winter Line
The Bernhardt Line
The Gustav Line
Invasion of Sicily
Landings at Salerno
Operation Shingle
Operation Avenger

For those interested in doing some own research anyway, Wikipedia's articles about the Italian Campaign is a good place to start.

antony: I agree. Monto Cassino had some very interesting battles taking place. Fallchimjagers will be included in the core release of Team Assault because of this. Probably a large portion of our first playable campaign will play out around it. Are there any specific combat groups from Cassino you know of and wish to have included in Team Assault?
Rasmus Davidsson
conger
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by conger »

I'd just like to see Italian units in the game, as so many other games tend to leave them out and US 10th Mountain Division; just because I'm stuck up at Ft Drum lol
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

Italians and Brits will be released in the first expansion! We have the soldier and weapon models basically done already, so they are guaranteed.

I'll look into the US 10th Mountain Division. Sounds interesting. Thanks!
Rasmus Davidsson
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I'll have to dig out some books and get some formations for you.

The Allied army in Italy had many nations present in it's ranks.I believe some Polish units were deeply involved in at least one battle.

British

9th and 2nd Gurkha Rifles

28th Maori Battalion

Polish

3rd and 5th divisions

I'm still trying to figure out where I've hidden a book that was written from the German viewpoint.
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

It was a huge mix of nationalities fighting for the allies side, which is one of the biggest reasons we chose that campaign. And even the Axis has some diversity due to Italian fascist support :)

Gurkhas are really something. Unfortunately they have a very unique look, which we will not able to ever justify ourselves using American or even British models for. I happen to know though, that the Gurkas was put onto the drawing table by our artists not too long ago, so it is not unthinkable they will enter the game in the future... not at all.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Rasmus Davidsson
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Thank you, who wouldn't want to have control of soldiers from a culture that names their children gun,knife, club etc.. :D

I actually learned about the Poles from my first father-in-law. He was in the Artillery in the U.S. army and unfortunately they had not been briefed on the Polish uniforms and flags etc.. So his story was that when they saw them from afar his unit opened fire on them.
conger
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by conger »

what about tanks and off-map support?
Adraeth
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adraeth »

There are interesting (and horrifing) elements in the Campaign of Italy in WW2:

Battles for the Gothic Line around Appenines in Toscana, especially around Massa, Lucca and the mountains nearby. In those fields of battle the struggle was between german foraging parties and "punishment assault" to civilian villages and countryside to secure positions or to take some italian who fought for the italian "resistance"; some scenario might be a probing allied force or commando try to defend some village to prevent those german assaults.

Indeed italian campaign is interesting when battles are for mountain passes or bridgheads like Anzio...

For Divisions and teams i can speak for German side where i live, for i work on some trials concerning "war crimes during italian campaign":

In Toscana there was near Pistoia/Florence the 26th Armoured Auflkarung commanded by Joseph Strauch

For Allied side i can remember French colonial units, mostly Algerinians
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

- what about tanks and off-map support?

- Tanks: No. Maybe (big maybe) for future expansions. Off-map support: Artillery, called in by on-map spotters, will be added for our first expansion. Other then that, none. Unless reinforcements and air dropped squads count. We wanted the game to be a battle between soldiers.

Adraeth: I will look into the sections you mention :)
Rasmus Davidsson
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

Laxen

Post by Laxen »

Wow. Thanks! I think that covers about everything. This will be very helpful.

Edit: All of you guys are of course still very welcome to post your requests. We will not be able to include all units from the campaign, so unless you guys make your wishes, I will include forces after my own liking.
Rasmus Davidsson
funks
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by funks »

as I said in the original forum everyone has fought in Italy, as usual.

To me the most interesting were the poles (since they have fought in the most interesting battles like Montecassino and the French Moorish soldiers. And why not the Brazilians... they fought only here.

But to me it can be very important to have the Italian fascists from the "Repubblica Sociale", the Italian fascist government in the north Italy after the 8th september 1943 and the Italian partisans that fought so hardly in the 1944-45. It can be another way to play the game.

:wink:
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

A further add on providing italians divided between "Repubblica Sociale" - "partisians bands" - "Government of the King" should be highly appreciated.

The real problem is that italians (after the 8th of September) were often ordered to fight other italians, Germany was not so confindent in using "Salò" units against allied troops and tried to use them as "police against partisians" but this proved not a good strategy; allies considered italian army a beaten one (and i believe they were right) so they did not want to use it as a real ally.
funks

Post by funks »

Adraeth wrote:A further add on providing italians divided between "Repubblica Sociale" - "partisians bands" - "Government of the King" should be highly appreciated.

The real problem is that italians (after the 8th of September) were often ordered to fight other italians, Germany was not so confindent in using "Salò" units against allied troops and tried to use them as "police against partisians" but this proved not a good strategy; allies considered italian army a beaten one (and i believe they were right) so they did not want to use it as a real ally.
There were some Italian regular units that fought on the allied side after the 8th of september but they weren't so important in the great scenario paramount.
But in 1944 behind the German line of the front there was a bitterly civil war with the partisans against the German and their fascist allies that was very important since the Italian front became a secondary front after the Normandy.
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

Italians are planned for the first expansion along with the Brits :)

We've been looking a lot into the polish divisions too. Might very well get into the game sometime in the future.

For release forces however, only divisions wearing American or German uniforms will be included. So any interesting such divisions would be great! I'm gonna look into what uniforms the Brazilian forces had.
Rasmus Davidsson
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

Here a link for the Monte Castello battle were Brazilian units fought with "Bersaglieri" (italian units) Vs German units

http://digilander.libero.it/lacorsainfi ... taglia.htm

The link is in italian, i believe you may translate it to english, if not i will try (when i have time) to make a small digression about it
nikb

Post by nikb »

My pick:

2nd New Zealand Div (General Freyberg)

Return to “Team Assault”