Previews

Team Assault is a 3D turn based tactical game where players fight in close combat action at a squad level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Team Assault Design, Zeal

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Previews

Post by junk2drive » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:33 pm

You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:00 pm

You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.

Laxen
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Laxen » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:17 am

These are nice previews.

I also like this one. It's in French though, so I've linked it using google translate to English:

Team Assault preview at Cyber Stratege
Rasmus Davidsson
Lead Designer at ZEAL Game Studio

rich12545
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rich12545 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Interesting that last preview mentioned Company of Heroes. That's exactly what came to mind when I saw it. This looks like an excellent game and for the first time in my life I signed up for beta testing.

How easy is it to make new skirmish maps? How many come with the game? Is there a random map generator?

What about other theaters? Does the game come with desert and jungle terrains?

How about urban play? Are buildings treated like any other terrain where teams can enter, move around and be controlled?

Laxen

Post by Laxen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm very happy to hear that what you've seen made you sign up for the beta! :)

- How easy is it to make new skirmish maps?
- Making your own skirmish maps will be... possible. I have not yet used the level editor myself, but from what I've heard its now quite user friendly. We have some polish to do though before we would consider it being "easy" to use, but hopefully we will get there.

- How many come with the game?
- There will be a few skirmish maps included. No exact number yet, but about 10-15. We are testing and polishing them at the moment, maybe removing some of them while adding new ones to the list. It depends a whole lot on how painless the rest of the development goes.

- Is there a random map generator?
- Nope.

- What about other theaters? Does the game come with desert and jungle terrains?
- Baptism of Fire will only include Italian countryside and city terrain. So will our first expansion. It it possible though that future expansions will add new theatres to the game. Which ones are far from decided and up for discussion. Feel free to submit your opinions in our team assault development forums.

- How about urban play? Are buildings treated like any other terrain where teams can enter, move around and be controlled?
- We are working on buildings which soldiers can walk into, and the roof becomes transparent with doorways and windows. They can't be controlled or captured in that manner.
Rasmus Davidsson

rich12545

Post by rich12545 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:24 pm

I very much like the skirmish system better than scripted scenarios. Much more flexibility for the player. The same map can effectively be used many times with different types of soldiers and starting positions. Italy sounds like a nice location with different types of terrain including elevations and good looking urban areas. I'm very glad about the ability to use buildings in the game.

I looked at the trailer and it seems the 3D camera uses different controls for horizontal turning and vertical elevations, is this correct? Will there be user controlled key mapping? Putting the camera controls on the keypad would be very nice.

Laxen

Post by Laxen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:42 pm

The vertical elevation is linked to the zoom; zoom in and the camera will tilt up. By holding the Alt key you can rotate the camera by moving your mouse.

The camera is moved using w-a-s-d keys, arrow keys or by moving your cursor to the screen edges. I think there will be a text file where you can assign your own hotkeys, but it won't be an ingame option.

Edit: Yep, you can edit your key bindings through the config file.
Rasmus Davidsson

rich12545

Post by rich12545 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:15 pm

A config file is fine. I'm just glad the horizontal isn't linked with the vertical like CoH. Kind of makes my head swim moving that around. I don't usually get real excited about a game but this one looks very much what I've been looking for.

Laxen

Post by Laxen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm not sure how much one will have to need to rotate the camera, but when one does it hope it won't make people dizzy as it is now :)

I'm very happy that you are excited. Every time someone say such things I get really excited too. I'm really looking forward to the release (and beta start too) to hear everybody's reactions!
Rasmus Davidsson

Richie61
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Richie61 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:42 am

I wasn't that excited at first over this game, but the more I see and see how the development team is listening/ interacting with the folks - I am really looking forward to this game! :twisted:

I really like how the game is about squads and has no tanks or armor. Will really make you think about getting your squads into action and avoiding placing them in a killing zone.

Laxen

Post by Laxen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:55 am

Ye, it was a tough choice to not include tanks. We know that many WWII players and wargamers like them, so do we. But we wanted the combat to be about soldiers. Of course, tank crews are also soldiers, but it's not the same feel of man-to-man combat I believe.

Also since we focus on quite small scale combat, tanks wouldn't really be suiting. Our scenarios are not the huge engagement combats of the war, but skirmish battles on the flanks or between recon forces.
Rasmus Davidsson

Laxen

Post by Laxen » Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 am

Rasmus Davidsson

Moezilla
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Moezilla » Tue May 10, 2011 9:27 pm

This is definitely an exciting looking game, signed up for beta!

generalgonzo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by generalgonzo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:59 am

Any new preview or advertisments planned for the near future ?

Laxen

Post by Laxen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Not that I'm aware of :P
Rasmus Davidsson

Return to “Team Assault”