Battlefield Europe v1.9 – month by month

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

faos333
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: Battlefield Europe v1.9 – month by month

Post by faos333 »

McGuba wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 am Many questions appeared here, I try to answere them, but the thing is maybe it would be better to post your questions in the main topic of the BE mod as there is a better chance that me or other experienced players like Uhu or Pete would see them..........
Thanks a lot for the detailed answers, :D :D
can you provide the link for main topic of the BE mod ?
Battlefield Europe get the most from Panzer Corps 8)
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

faos333 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:29 am can you provide the link for main topic of the BE mod ?
sure:
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985

It is the one with the download links and I would recommend this topic for general questions on strategy or various aspects of the mod.

However, if you intend to make a complete AAR, you may want to start a new topic here in this thread like Pete did for this AAR of BE 1.9. Of course you can post your AAR here as well, but since you are playing a newer version of the mod I think it would be better to have them in a seperate topic. :)
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I agree that it is better to post general questions in the main BE mod topic and to start your own separate AAR as well.

If you don't feel like making your own AAR, personally I don't mind if you want to continue posting here, it's up to you)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
faos333

Post by faos333 »

PeteMitchell wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:04 pm I agree that it is better to post general questions in the main BE mod topic and to start your own separate AAR as well.

If you don't feel like making your own AAR, personally I don't mind if you want to continue posting here, it's up to you)
Good, I am going to complete this BE playthrough. :D
McGuba wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:36 am
However, if you intend to make a complete AAR, you may want to start a new topic ....in a seperate topic. :)
Thanks for the link, good idea I will start a new AAR
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

faos333 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:57 pm
PeteMitchell wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:04 pm I agree that it is better to post general questions in the main BE mod topic and to start your own separate AAR as well.

Good, I am going to complete this BE playthrough. :D
McGuba wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:36 am
However, if you intend to make a complete AAR, you may want to start a new topic ....in a seperate topic. :)
Thanks for the link, good idea I will start a new AAR
For those who like to follow faos333's BE 2.0 playthrough, here is the link to his new AAR:
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=103288
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

McGuba wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 am Many questions appeared here, I try to answere them, but the thing is maybe it would be better to post your questions in the main topic of the BE mod as there is a better chance that me or other experienced players like Uhu or Pete would see them.

As for heroes: the game only gives heroes and awards (medals) if you are playing the scenario(s) in campaign mode. That is if you start a game them from the main campaign screen where you can see the four starting points with pictures: Poland, France, the Med and Barbarossa. If you play an individual scenario starting it from the "Scenario" folder heroes and awards are not given to units. Heroes and medals are also not given if you play multiplayer scenarios through the server. It has nothing to do with this mod, it is the same with the vanilla campaigns and scenrios. Probably you did not notice it because the vanilla scenarios are short and in that short timespan you did not expect to get heroes anyway. By the way, I think this should be changed in the game and that's why it is one of my top requests in my wishlist that I posted last summer:
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=100067#p866319

So currently you can play the big scenario either in campaign mode or as an individual scenario. If you start the Barbarossa map from the campaign screen the version will be the default "realistic" and you will get heroes and awards. If you start it from the scenrio screen you can choose between the "moderate", "realistic" and "realistic+" versions and no heroes will be given. If you are playing the mod in campaign style after finishing the Mediterranean scenario you will be offered the same choice to decide which version of the big scenrio you intend to play and then you can of course play any version and get heroes as well.

This is something that I cannot change for it is hard coded in the game, hence my request in the wishlist. However, as a compensation for not getting heroes when playing in scenario mode all new purchased units will start with 50 experience points while in campaign mode they start with 0. Currently that's all I could do about it to make it a bit more fair.

I also reduced the number of kills that are required to get the first hero when played in campaign mode. In this mod Axis units can get the first hero anytime after they reach 30 kills but they surely get it before they reach 100. It is decided randomly by the game as with the dice rolls within this interval and it has nothing to do with how "good" they are in a given attack. The second hero can appear between 101 and 200 kills and the third between 201 and 500. But you can also read this and more in the "Changes" section of the in game "Library" which is recommended to be read in the very first message box. In the next version of the mod I will try to make the "Changes" section a bit more informative (providing that players read it :wink:).

As for the various strategies, there are of course many ways to win or lose the war and it is intentional. There isn't only one good solution so that players can continue to experiment in repeated replays. And of course there is a built-in randomness so even if you do everything the same way the end result will never be exactly the same. Other than that now the AI can more or less react to most possible strategic decisions of the player. Most action is followed by an answere from the AI.

Neglecting the North African theatre is a valid option, but it will have its consequencies: the Western Allies will capture Tunis and that will trigger further invasions in the Mediterranean. The loss of Tunis also triggers the creation of the US 12th Air Force in North Africa which means more American heavy bombers and fighters attacking from the south from 1944. If Tunis is lost and if there is no opposition the AI units in North Africa will most likely continue to advance towards Tripoli and then Tobruk and then all the way to Alexandria, if the latter was captured by the player. When the AI units are set to be on the offensive they always move from one victory objective city to the next nearest. Unless they are set to move to a specific AI zone which may be the case sometimes. However, if there is a mass of water between the two they just stop on the coast and wait for a miracle so that they can cross it with dry feet. The AI is unable to embark units to sea or air transports, unless it is specifically scripted or ordered to do so. In this mod there is no such script as it would take too long for the AI to embark its units one by one for an invasion. Instead, major Allied invasion units are spawned in the middle of the sea en masse and then proceed to land at their designated beaches which are currently more or less the historical locations.
Bummer...that means I will never receive heroes. This almost makes me want to restart, but I can only play blind once. So I will keep up my playthrough as is. I am enjoying too much to stop now. Hope you get a chance to see my latest post and give me some feedback on the next set of questions.

I am hoping to record another, hopefully longer playthrough soon.

I am eager to break Leningrad and Moscow, and what to do next with those units in that region
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 pm Bummer...that means I will never receive heroes. This almost makes me want to restart, but I can only play blind once. So I will keep up my playthrough as is. I am enjoying too much to stop now. Hope you get a chance to see my latest post and give me some feedback on the next set of questions.

I am eager to break Leningrad and Moscow, and what to do next with those units in that region
The AI will continue to push towards Moscow (area/into this direction) until the SU has been defeated...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

actually I just went down to my home computer and see all of your responses

Thanks so much
glad I could help you find a glitch with the Pz38 unit I asked about that helps as I will immediately make him a Pz4G and bring my other Pz38 over to get upgraded along with the Flamm.

also I think I may have enough Alpini's and Mt Troops to make a real go for the Caucasus, I just need to get them all there. (It helps I have broken through Rostov.)

Do you think I should try for Stalingrad or my overall strategy is good for now.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:34 pm
goose_2 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 pm Bummer...that means I will never receive heroes. This almost makes me want to restart, but I can only play blind once. So I will keep up my playthrough as is. I am enjoying too much to stop now. Hope you get a chance to see my latest post and give me some feedback on the next set of questions.

The AI will continue to push towards Moscow (area/into this direction) until the SU has been defeated...
So the way I read you, is keep the units in and around Moscow because they will focus strongly on trying to take it back, good to know. I will make it unassailable
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:41 pm
PeteMitchell wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:34 pm

So the way I read you, is keep the units in and around Moscow because they will focus strongly on trying to take it back, good to know. I will make it unassailable
Yes, you will always need some decent forces in or/around Moscow... OR you can also push further east quickly, just keep the winters with frozen rivers in mind as then you need to own the entire line somehow/somewhere... (and not just Moscow city hexes)
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

PeteMitchell wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:34 pm Bummer...that means I will never receive heroes. This almost makes me want to restart, but I can only play blind once. So I will keep up my playthrough as is. I am enjoying too much to stop now. Hope you get a chance to see my latest post and give me some feedback on the next set of questions.
I wouldn't overrate the hero thing for your current playthrough, 50 base experience is also helpful... I wasn't aware of it either.

And about playing blind, the mod is sooo long and the map is sooo big, it takes more than one playthrough to remember everything in detail...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Good News!!!

I figured out why my recording was so muted last time, so I fixed that.

problem is I am not sure how many recordings I have done with the muted recordings. I know that most of my Orel recording has the muted microphone, that sucks, because I am not rerecording. Especially the last recording where I wrapped up the last half of the map. That was pretty awesome, I don't care if you hear me. ;)

In all seriousness I think it sucks that it happened, but I just move forward.

Speaking of moving forward I am planning on recording again another episode of BE, soon like either tonight or tomorrow morning. Should be going up soon afterwards, like Monday.

But watching Tatsinskaya playthrough on Ultimate got me thinking. Good Grief, my Pz 3M's and StuG's and Pz4G's garner no respect from the KV-1C's or T-34/43's. They maul me.

Is that what I have to look forward to in BE towards the end of 42 start of 43? That will not be fun. Anything I should consider to prepare for this time
goose_2

McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:23 pm Speaking of moving forward I am planning on recording again another episode of BE, soon like either tonight or tomorrow morning. Should be going up soon afterwards, like Monday.
Very nice! :)

goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:23 pm But watching Tatsinskaya playthrough on Ultimate got me thinking. Good Grief, my Pz 3M's and StuG's and Pz4G's garner no respect from the KV-1C's or T-34/43's. They maul me.

Is that what I have to look forward to in BE towards the end of 42 start of 43?
Yes these are quite good, especially when snowing since the German units lose their initiative advantage in bad weather and the Soviets make full use of it. So maybe better rely on ATs in open terrain and infantry in close to hold the line in order to preserve these precious panzers. Even then you may need to consider a retreat/mobile defense at times. It is better to lose some ground that to lose some expensive units. And although T-34/43 is fairly good, it is not so numerous during winter 42-43 yet. Most Soviet tanks are earlier types at that time. KVs are also rare, as in reality. And at least there will be no unit strength loss this winter. :)
ImageImage
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

The thing that will be a real killer as more and more of the Allied units appear with more and more experience stars and I will be struggling to maintain what I have in terms of experience.
goose_2

faos333

Post by faos333 »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:23 pm .............. But watching Tatsinskaya playthrough on Ultimate got me thinking. Good Grief, my Pz 3M's and StuG's and Pz4G's garner no respect from the KV-1C's or T-34/43's. .... Is that what I have to look forward to in BE towards the end of 42 start of 43? .....
How about StuGs, as Soren shown in his atsinskaya playthrough, with over strengths, they were quite respected.
Assuming you have the prestige and time to do so, which I doubt, if can be done:D :D :D
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

faos333 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:49 pm
goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:23 pm .............. But watching Tatsinskaya playthrough on Ultimate got me thinking. Good Grief, my Pz 3M's and StuG's and Pz4G's garner no respect from the KV-1C's or T-34/43's. .... Is that what I have to look forward to in BE towards the end of 42 start of 43? .....
How about StuGs, as Soren shown in his atsinskaya playthrough, with over strengths, they were quite respected.
Assuming you have the prestige and time to do so, which I doubt, if can be done:D :D :D
That is a great point that I need to ask McGuba. Thanks for the reminder D-Neos...

I have a bunch of StuG3 B's that I love love love, but can / should they be upgraded them to the StuG3F/8s?

I know you can't in the base game, but something tells me this is possible in this mod.

McGuba?
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:14 pm The thing that will be a real killer as more and more of the Allied units appear with more and more experience stars and I will be struggling to maintain what I have in terms of experience.
The Allies outproduced the Axis 4:1
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:23 pm Good News!!!

I figured out why my recording was so muted last time, so I fixed that.

problem is I am not sure how many recordings I have done with the muted recordings. I know that most of my Orel recording has the muted microphone, that sucks, because I am not rerecording. Especially the last recording where I wrapped up the last half of the map. That was pretty awesome, I don't care if you hear me. ;)

In all seriousness I think it sucks that it happened, but I just move forward.

Speaking of moving forward I am planning on recording again another episode of BE, soon like either tonight or tomorrow morning. Should be going up soon afterwards, like Monday.

But watching Tatsinskaya playthrough on Ultimate got me thinking. Good Grief, my Pz 3M's and StuG's and Pz4G's garner no respect from the KV-1C's or T-34/43's. They maul me.

Is that what I have to look forward to in BE towards the end of 42 start of 43? That will not be fun. Anything I should consider to prepare for this time
As said, protect your tanks and keep them behind the line in winter, especially Pz IIIs, plus avoid having single / lonely tanks, if possible.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:56 pm
faos333 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:49 pm
That is a great point that I need to ask McGuba. Thanks for the reminder D-Neos...

I have a bunch of StuG3 B's that I love love love, but can / should they be upgraded them to the StuG3F/8s?

I know you can't in the base game, but something tells me this is possible in this mod.

McGuba?
Isn't one arty and the other one AT, not sure.

You can upgrade the towed ATs to mobile ATs. Best kill to cost ratio very often IMHO...
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:14 pm The thing that will be a real killer as more and more of the Allied units appear with more and more experience stars and I will be struggling to maintain what I have in terms of experience.
Which is completely fine in terms of historical realism. The Wehrmacht had the best overall quality in June 1941, after that there was a continuous decline. The rate of losses was higher than the rate they could train new officers and NCOs so they had to speed up their training and had to place leaders at higher positions than their experience and training would have allowed. Highly efficient Soviet snipers looking for the guy who gives the orders did not help the situation either. It is in stark contrast to what players of the base game are used to when they start a campaign with zero experience units and they get more and more experienced and efficient as they move forward. In reality it was quite the opposite after mid 1941, perhaps apart from a few selected elite units.

faos333 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:49 pm How about StuGs, as Soren shown in his atsinskaya playthrough, with over strengths, they were quite respected.
Assuming you have the prestige and time to do so, which I doubt, if can be done:D
In the mod AT StuGs are initially relatively expensive and not so good, a bit under-armoured. They become better and cheaper but only from early 1943 which may be a bit late for the winter battles. So you can have a few, but maybe more cost-efficient to rely on 75mm towed ATs, especially since these have the camo trait. It is because in reality there were not too many AT StuGs during winter 42/43, their production only skyrocketed from 1943. Some 600 were produced in 1942 and then 3,000 and nearly 4,000 in '43 and '44, respectively.

goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:56 pm I have a bunch of StuG3 B's that I love love love, but can / should they be upgraded them to the StuG3F/8s?

McGuba?
Apparently yes, there is something up my sleeve for you, but I am getting ahead of myself. :wink:

If we are here, I am not sure if you noticed that in this mod the StuG IIIB is a multipurpose unit and can be switched to AT mode as well if needed. I have never seen you doing it. Obviously far worse than a StuG IIIG due to the short gun, but can do the job at times.
ImageImage

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”