GC Barbarossa to Berlin

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Cerberus51
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: GC Barbarossa to Berlin

Post by Cerberus51 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:40 am

RVallant wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 pm
Good luck. Vilna was one of my favourite scenarios, it's just all round fun. :D
Yes, I am enjoying it. It seems to be going pretty well so far (turn 10).

Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:49 am

Vilna is proving interesting. There have been points where I thought the Russians would encircle my units and it would be a disaster but tactical withdrawals have kept all my units alive so far. It is a big map and you cannot form continuous defensive positions. At turn 19 the position in the north is on the edge but I think the Russians are nearly spent here although it has required more replacements than I would have liked.

In the centre the defenders of Vilna are advancing and nearly all the enemy infantry (and that was a lot of units) have been eliminated. All their armour is gone. However I don't think they have run out of units yet and suspect two or three more groups of enemy units lurking on the eastern edge of the map (with 11 turns to run they are sure to have one or possibly two attacks left in them).

In the south nearly all the enemy have been destroyed and I am on the verge of a breakout and being able to capture all the VH's and other hexes that yield prestige here as there are probably only a few enemy units to mop up.

So I am enjoying this one, but I am currently nearly 4000 prestige down replacing damage to units, although I will get quite a lot back if I can wipe the map.

Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:35 am

Vilna

A DV but the final reckoning after bringing damaged units back up to strength and restoring OS leaves me with 30254 prestige at deployment for Warsaw, almost 4000 down. My liking for taking reinforcements during scenarios really caught up with me here. Whether I can claw any of that back at Warsaw we shall see.

City combat so Pioniere and copious amounts of artillery are the order of the day for Warsaw.

Part of the reason I lost so much prestige is that my Panther G's are routinely getting hammered by the better Soviet tanks and heavy SU AT units. I like the mobility but taking at least the 2 SE Panthers to King Tigers is probably a good idea. However I really would prefer not to just have everything as King Tigers (not to mention that historically Germany manufactured a total of only 485 of these beasts). Also they are slow and I would have possibly not taken the last VH at Vilna without being able to rush Panthers in and prevent the Russians from purchasing any reinforcements there. I am not going to upgrade any Panthers for the moment, partly because the SE ones are currently OS to 12, which I would lose, and partly the sheer cost of Tiger 2's.

The unit that has really impressed me so far is the Elefant. As long as they are kept in open terrain, preferably with some artillery support, they take very little damage from anything the Russians can throw at them. Yes, they are slow but I am not really finding that to be a problem. Any Russian tank that they start a turn next to is in for some pain. Very much not historically the case but I'm not complaining.

The other main way I am losing prestige is damage to my fighters. The Schwalbe will be along soon and I plan to upgrade two of my aces (those without -2 def), which should improve things air to air.

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Once you get to 3 or 4*, the +2 HA experience bonus starts to give AT an edge. For me, the biggest risk to Elefants is multiple infantry attacks stripping ammo. Maintaining artillery backing will make for a very tough unit. Do you have a particular arty backup or just whatever is nearby?

Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:23 pm

captainjack wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:04 pm
Once you get to 3 or 4*, the +2 HA experience bonus starts to give AT an edge. For me, the biggest risk to Elefants is multiple infantry attacks stripping ammo. Maintaining artillery backing will make for a very tough unit. Do you have a particular arty backup or just whatever is nearby?
I have quite a lot of artillery to choose from. For groups with more defensive roles I have 3 17cm and 3 Sig38 available and for groups with offensive tasks 3 Hummel and 3 Panzerwerfer available. I also have one Nebelwerfer 3o with +1 range. I usually deploy in 3 roughly equal sized groups with 2 or 3 artillery each.

I have developed a real liking for the Panzerwerfer to back up my Elefants. I find they take less damage than Wuhrframen and so are cheaper to run and the lower attack is acceptable for the lower cost and one extra ammo. They do shred infantry quite well and experienced 4 or 5 star Elefants need little help against hard targets, even IS tanks.

RVallant
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by RVallant » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:53 pm

You will probably be annoyed at me for suggesting it, but perhaps if prestige is a concern it is time to consider if the decisive victory is worth that prestige? Quite a few missions the normal victory is just as good anyway!

Personally, I think the 1945 decisive are more fun and flexible than the 1944 ones. I think the Panther still has value, just more of as a flanking tank?

Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:38 am

RVallant wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:53 pm
You will probably be annoyed at me for suggesting it, but perhaps if prestige is a concern it is time to consider if the decisive victory is worth that prestige? Quite a few missions the normal victory is just as good anyway!

Personally, I think the 1945 decisive are more fun and flexible than the 1944 ones. I think the Panther still has value, just more of as a flanking tank?
I do agree with you. I am perhaps overly cautious about prestige as it would be extremely annoying to have come this far and not finish the GC East due to running out of prestige. I think I will actually be OK.

I have not actually researched the figures for prestige awarded in each scenario. I just like pulling off DV's and particularly getting to play the extra scenarios they unlock.

I was rather disappointed with myself as much as anything at Vilna for ending up down on prestige. I am looking forward to the 45 scenarios after your comments in your AAR. There is still the small matter of Budapest 44 first though.

The Panther does indeed still have value. I just need to try and alter my use of them so that the Elefants And Tiger 1's and 2's go head to head with the Russian heavy armour and the Panthers are placed in less exposed positions and used to flank, as you say, and to finish off enemy units. Only the Elefants and Tiger 2's can really attack the Russian heavies. Part of the issue is that, at Field Marshal, I am going against the more aggressive of the two AI settings and the Russians have a tendency to make attacks that result in mutual high losses, then follow up with more of the same. I have had to replay a number of turns after losing units to this behaviour. I am not complaining. Historically it is correct and the game feels better imo for it.

Thanks for all your comments/observations/inputs guys. Much appreciated. It is always interesting to learn how someone else goes about a challenge.

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”