Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Tech support for Panzer Corps

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

dcruzer
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by dcruzer »

Hi,

I have been following this thread, hoping for a fix. So far, none, right? The /nocache, and the patching, don't work to resolve the lag, right?

My contribution for the day: I postulate the lag issues come on more strongly when we play any of the GC's...
What do you think?

In any case, I am still enjoying it. Just "deal" with the long "old fashioned" lag, especially when trying to move aircraft. It's kinda circa 1990's... )))

IF and WHEN this is fixed, can you make sure it is a sticky (top of thread) for a few days, so I can find it.
Thanks
Kolaris
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Kolaris »

No solution yet. Checking this thread daily as well. I'm only playing the GC so I can't say if it's worse, but apparently running the game with Steam completely turned off will help. However you can't do this when playing the GC, so I'm stuck atm.
Last edited by Kolaris on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

I'm sorry guys, but we are still looking at this.
HalfLifeExpert
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

looks like A new steam client update came out today. I havent had a chance to play PzC so i dont know if i am affected with this problem or not, or know if this update fixed it.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client

But a line in the release notes for the new update does look like it may help with this issue:

"Reduced CPU usage and improved frame rates for some D3D9 and OpenGL games launched through Steam"
Hurinowski

Post by Hurinowski »

Playing without running steam works for me too. No lag so far if i start the game directly from panzercorps.exe.
smokeybear
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by smokeybear »

HalfLifeExpert wrote:looks like A new steam client update came out today. I havent had a chance to play PzC so i dont know if i am affected with this problem or not, or know if this update fixed it.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client

But a line in the release notes for the new update does look like it may help with this issue:

"Reduced CPU usage and improved frame rates for some D3D9 and OpenGL games launched through Steam"

One scenario and then immediately back to lagging at the start of Sevastopol.

I have some physical media and have installed that, (with some lagging on the install autorun, not known why, it did nothing for about a minute or so then I have to tease it to start by opening the disc and relevant .exe's for PC and GC's), upgraded that installation to 1.24, and everything is fine. It found my saved games so I have some functionality there but would need to buy physical of 2 dlcs to be where I am with Steam Library.

The disc installation is running just fine.

(Windows 10 64bit)
Sartarius1

Post by Sartarius1 »

Any info about the problem or fix ETA?

I mean it is not that gamebreakeing as restart takes about 2-5 seconds but still.
Collieafc
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Collieafc »

Sartarius1 wrote:Any info about the problem or fix ETA?

I mean it is not that gamebreakeing as restart takes about 2-5 seconds but still.
When its fixed, Im guessing. One does not simply type up a code fix in a few minutes\hours\days, even when they can replicate the issue.

It probably doesnt help that its a Steam change that has "Broke" the game - The game code itself seems to be fine, as no Steam involvement instantly fixes the issue - and I would guess that Steam dont just give out their code freely to analyse, so the devs are probably working a bit blind to try and find a fix - this will add more time.

At least there is a workaround, which is something. And recognition of the issue - the team (Mods and devs) have been sharp so far to see about getting on top of the matter.
fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by fliegenderstaub »

I am experiencing the same problem after about ten minutes playing. Seemed to start with 1.25. I didn't have any problems like these before. I don't own neither Sea Lion nor Soviet Corps.
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -
Kolaris
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Kolaris »

One thing I don't believe has been mentioned is how suddenly the slowdown begins. I'll have no lag whatsoever, go to select my next unit, and there's now a 1.5s delay for everything.
smokeybear

Post by smokeybear »

One more point that may not be related:-

On the physical game rather than Steam I have invisible Russian units at Sevastopol, but visible on the Steam version. Found it when I selected an artillery unit which targeted it.

I exited and reloaded both to see if that corrected it but it doesn't.

Odd, never had that happen before, no more posts on that here unless asked as it may be off topic.

None too worried but thought it worth a mention.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

I don't use Steam but I have started getting pauses since installing Soviet Corps.
These show up as a sudden freeze in action - eg can't select a unit or a target, an attack animation freezes part way through.
It lasts for about 5 to 10 seconds and then goes back to normal again. It's not every game, and hasn't happened enough to see if there's a pattern such as only when playing more than a certain number of turns.
Sartarius1

Post by Sartarius1 »

I also noticed (steam version) that lag became less frequent. Sometimes I can play half a mission (8-10 turns) without any lag. With selecting airplanes it became worse more often than other units. Still this issue occurs 100% after some amount of playtime.
Sharkyzero

Post by Sharkyzero »

Hey folks, I wanted to put in my experience with the slowdown. I'm above 700 hours of play at this stage and I've been experiencing the slowdown for some time now (well before Soviet Corps was even announced). I can't recall exactly when it started, but I've been purchasing the DLC almost religiously after release and my hunch is that the performance problems have only happened after the additional content was installed. I'm using the Steam version if this is helpful in any way.

I've become a slowdown/exit/restart player for the past few months and I'd love to know how to fix this nuisance.

*Just renamed audio folder to include the underscore with no success in elimination of the slowdown. Time to slowdown was approximately 10-15min.*
dcruzer

Post by dcruzer »

STEAM,
can you give us an update on the fix/intent to fix? It's been a while since you commented.
smokeybear

Post by smokeybear »

There must be a reason why I am now seeing posts on other topics on this thread, if there is I would suggest there is no need to confuse the issue raised.

There has been a recent Steam update, which has had no effect on the hanging and slowdown issues reported.
Stormbringer
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Stormbringer »

We are alone smokeybear, steam and slitherine teams make nothing. After more 400 hours playing Panzer Corps I'm very sade and I quit...
"Seul celui qui sait comment mourir sait comment vivre"
Ralle
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Ralle »

I bet Slitherine is doing something.
When the next DLC comes out, there`ll sure be a new patch also. Maybe then they`ll fix it.
At least I hope so.
Rhialto2

Post by Rhialto2 »

Seeing this problem too. Playing Steam version and Afrika Korps expansion. Just came back to game last week after a while away and nothing else has changed other than patches. Same computer. Not quite unplayable but nearly so.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Have you tried the workaround?

Return to “Panzer Corps : Tech Support”