custom font type help

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Japoivvb
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

custom font type help

Post by Japoivvb »

Hi, I would like modify font type for briefing, new turn, deploy... to use an old typewriter for personal use, I got it if I open them as browser but not inside game. I use font-face and ttf is in UI corresponding folder. what am i doing wrong?
Attachments
font type.png
font type.png (988.64 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Japoivvb
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: custom font type help

Post by Japoivvb »

1 year later and after playing time to time with fonts finally I got it :) here is my old typewritter briefing
brief.jpg
brief.jpg (348.36 KiB) Viewed 497 times
I applied to all UI fonts to give similar look and feel, even moving info panel before map to have always unit values
main.jpg
main.jpg (883.41 KiB) Viewed 497 times
cw58
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by cw58 »

Looks great! I really like what you did with the info panel. Nice!
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by rubyjuno »

Yes, well done for persevering and finding the answer. Looks cool too.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Thats really cool! I remember I tried to do it as well a few years ago, but for some reason I was unable to do so. :(
Would you mind to share how you managed to do this in the end? I think it would really add to immersion and the overall look and feel of the game.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
Japoivvb
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Japoivvb »

of course, basically
1. put desired font in UI folder, here you can find https://fontsarena.com/blog/free-vintag ... ter-fonts/ and which I use Erika Ormig
2. install font clicking on it i your system
2. modify panzercorps.css and in any font-family write font-family:"Erika Ormig";
3. modify briefing.htm to remove any font-family to use ref css font-family, and similar for other .htm as newturn, deploy...
4. play and enjoy

as other font implies other size maybe you can need to resize font-size in some places, honestly I did so many changes in files that I could not remember total list changes let me know if it does not work
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Ah, thanks, that's great! I think earlier I failed because I did not install the font to Windows. And thus it only displayed a default Arial font type instead of the one that I added or something. However, what still puzzles me is if I install a font type why I have to copy it into the UI folder of the game? Shouldn't it be copied/added to Windows or something automatically when being installed?

And also, it looks like the game itself uses a custom font type named "WilhelmKlingsporGotLTStd.otf" which is indeed in the UI folder of the game. It is an old German font type aka "Fraktur" used for the campaign starting point names like "1939 Poland". But as I see this font type is not being installed to my computer and yet the game can use it. I am writing this because I was thinking to create such a mod or sub-mod but I think it is not very user friendly to expect players to manually install a font type to the computer besides installing the mod as well. It would probably be more user friendly if the manual installation of a custom font type could be avoided somehow when installing such a custom font mod, I am just not sure if it is possible somehow.

Another possible way may be to use the default "Courier New" font type which is a default font type of Windows (and as such does not require manual installation), which also resembles a typwriter font type, even if not too perfect. The "Legacy of Versailles" mod uses this font type to replace the default fonts used by Panzer Corps to create a somewhat better WW2 era feel in the game and UI. Either way, as you noted, it may be necessary to modify some of the UI layout or at least the font size if another font type is being used. For example in the second screenshot that you posted the tank name "Churchill Mk.IV" is being displayed incorrectly. Or perhaps, to save this extra work, the custom typewriter font should only be used for the briefings and message boxes and leave the rest of the UI as it is.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”