Italian Campaign 2.0 (v.1.95 on 6th April 2018)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: Italian Campaign 2.0 - (semi-historical)

Post by nikivdd » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 pm

bebro wrote:A Char 1B? That would be a blessing giving those Italian tanks ;)
Yep, we decided not to include "Italian SE units" in the efile, when Uhu came up with the interesting alternative.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Uhu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Yes...for a time. :)
But I experienced, that even a 14+2 (hero) ground defense will not avoid casualties even from a Matilda II... But it is really good as armored fist. Later, when the Semovente 75/15, with the second function - AT with HA 10 - arrive, it will be no more economical useful to maintain the 500 prestige value beast (the repairs take a hell of prestige).
bebro wrote:A Char 1B? That would be a blessing giving those Italian tanks ;)

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Developer diary 06 - The meaning of "Semi-historical" in the campaign:

My first motivation was, when I played nikivdd's original Italian Campaign, to modify the scenarios, which were completely 'fantasy' to make them at least more historical. From that beginning grew the whole IC 2.0 project. What does this mean?
I focused not extreme hard to create totally realistic maps and battles with all historical accuracy. The main goal was make a playable, enjoyable campaign, which leads the player from the first battle to the end of the war. Although I paid attention to make it as historical as it can be: the availability of the units were set to historical dates (but sometimes these are pushed for a later time because of gameplay reasons) and the historical scenarios have historical briefings and frames.

Until the El-Alamein scenario, the campaign path goes in mostly historical way - the difference is only in few "possible" battles and that in most scns, the Italians are fighting alone, because they don't need the German help (because the player fight so well).
After El-Alamein, the campaign path has two directions: if the player cannot make a DV, he will follow the historical way (Second El-Alamein, Kasserine, Sicily, Rome). If the player can make a DV, than a "what if" way appears and the player can modify the events for a better result in history. Although I tried to stay at 'possible' possibilites - so not to conquer the world with a few Italian armored divisions, or so. The reason of the alternative path is always explained detailed in the briefings - I hope, you will like it, because spent with that part also a hell of time. :)

alex0809
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by alex0809 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Is it possible to tell the game when to hand out the special units? I thought that was random after every battle.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:51 pm

alex0809 wrote:Is it possible to tell the game when to hand out the special units? I thought that was random after every battle.
Yes, but it asks more effort. Of several scenario's 2 versions were made. One version with the special unit, one without (depending on the result of the previous mission).
The SE units (random units) are disabled in the campaign.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Can "bonus" units be received by non-German campaign nations? I have a number of US units set to have the "bonus" trait but have never seen one awarded in many tests.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:55 am

El_Condoro wrote:Can "bonus" units be received by non-German campaign nations? I have a number of US units set to have the "bonus" trait but have never seen one awarded in many tests.
Yes. The SE unit requires the country code as the leading nation of the campaign and, as you said, have the bonus trait.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 am

Got those done. Must just be (very) bad luck, I guess.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 am

El_Condoro wrote:Got those done. Must just be (very) bad luck, I guess.
When i started experimenting for the first Italian Campaign i was having the same problem. Eventually i solved it. The place of the traits in the line is rather sensitive. It has to be in the appropriate column.
Practically i copy/pasted a german SE unit and then copy/pasted the parameters for the new SE unit without touching the part of the traits.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 am

I looked at the Maelstrom efile and there were some anomalies that I fixed. I'll see if it changes things. I did notice that "bonus" was always the last trait in the list of SE units, so all my bonus units have it there, too.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Worked out the problem: the campaign needs to be played with the player as Side 0 (Axis) in the campaign.pzdat for bonus units to be given. Without a major amount of work on Maelstrom, there will be no bonus units. Damn! :evil:

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:53 pm

El_Condoro wrote:Worked out the problem: the campaign needs to be played with the player as Side 0 (Axis) in the campaign.pzdat for bonus units to be given. Without a major amount of work on Maelstrom, there will be no bonus units. Damn! :evil:
You can change it to 0 in one of the files. I'm not at home, i'd guess nations.pzdat file.
And btw, when i was doing the british campaign, i got british SE units. I'll see if i can dig those files up for ya. But i don't remember what i did back then to get those SE units.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:19 pm

It can be done by changing the campaign.pzdat side to 0; the Allied player to Side 1 (left of dialog) in the unit parameters; and setting the player's units to Axis. That will give the desired elite units - I have tested a mock campaign.

My major problem is that I have created a dozen or so scenarios with the units all set to Allied. I can only get it to work right if a) I go through every scenario, swap over the stats (Side 1 - Side 2), change the nations to Axis/Allies, and (the kicker) change every unit already placed on the map to Axis!, or b) find some way to iterate through the units and set them to Axis (no idea how to do this when the pzscn file is encrypted).

If only I had done it that way from the start...

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:53 pm

El_Condoro wrote:It can be done by changing the campaign.pzdat side to 0; the Allied player to Side 1 (left of dialog) in the unit parameters; and setting the player's units to Axis. That will give the desired elite units - I have tested a mock campaign.

My major problem is that I have created a dozen or so scenarios with the units all set to Allied. I can only get it to work right if a) I go through every scenario, swap over the stats (Side 1 - Side 2), change the nations to Axis/Allies, and (the kicker) change every unit already placed on the map to Axis!, or b) find some way to iterate through the units and set them to Axis (no idea how to do this when the pzscn file is encrypted).

If only I had done it that way from the start...
I had a check in the meantime and it is as you say. But i think if you switch the nations in the scenario parameters from allied to axis and vice versa, they might change as well.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:32 am

Developer diary 07 - A new feature: the minimap function!:

Maybe for some strategist it looks "gamey", but I like to have a map, where I constantly can view my progresses. Otherway, it is good to see, where I'm fighting, which region of the world it is. Plus I like to see the changing of territoritorial gains on large scale - on the whole European and North African theater.
Therefore I searched and eventually found a possibility to implement this into the PC game system.
The 'technology' is simple: I measured the size of the Bigunit pictures and created (downsized, cutted from an existing one) a map of that size. In that map, I could than draw the advances/changing of territorial gains. In the scenario, I placed Swiss Strongpoints in neutral territory (mostly in one of the corner of the map). If you than click on them with right click, you will see the minimap.
I hope, you will like it too, because I'm satisfied with it. :wink:

Last edited by Uhu on Thu May 09, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:57 am

I may be missing something but why not use the game library to add these details? Using the library you can add text and details as well as a map. It is also always available within the game even if not as easily as your solution.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:15 pm

How can you do that? As I know, we can put only static pictures in the library, so you will have for example a word map, but it will not show the progress of your advance. Or maybe you can put 28 maps in the library, but that would be insane: writing in the briefings, that " you can see the map of your progress on Map page 21 in the library" ? :)

For me, anyway, going into the library "takes me out" temporally from the gameplay (of course that not hindered me to see many times the campaign tree :) ), so it is much simplier, if the player right in the battle can simply open and see the map.
El_Condoro wrote:I may be missing something but why not use the game library to add these details? Using the library you can add text and details as well as a map. It is also always available within the game even if not as easily as your solution.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Developer diary 08 - "Romanizing" the interface and heroes :

While I did several modding tasks for the IC 2.0, I slowly discovered, that - thanks for the developers! - how many things can be changed in the game. Many ideas came also from the DMP's AK add-on, because I saw there such modifications, than I wondered: "Oh, so these can be also changed? :shock: Good to know! 8) "
And in that way, I figured out, how to change the picture and the names of the Heroes and the Medals. It was really hard to find authentic, historical pictures about soldiers and pilots on the net, which are also in good quality, so don't expect a huge number of faces, but I think, it is still much better, than leaving the German aces in. If somebody can send me more good portraits, I can than put them also in.
Above the heroes and medals I could also change the Reichsadler to the Fascisct Eagle!
(Maybe) Little steps for other projects, but big step for the IC 2.0! :lol:

Last edited by Uhu on Thu May 09, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Developer diary 09 - New Start and Win screen, new Bigunit screens:

1., As I tried to change so many things in the game to Italian-style, I created a new Win (End) picture. It was a hard procedure, because I had to cut so precise the gun and the sign in the picture as possible, but finally I succeed. Don't expect, that I will change the Reich-sign also there - if somebody feels himself able for doing that, I'm open for that, but I will not do it. :)

2., The Start screen is only a modified version: I wanted to show the player, that he still plays PC and not an another game, but also represent, that he plays a modified game version plus some immersion for the IC 2.0.

3., The Bigunit pictures for all units will be black and white. Maybe some of you would like 3D modells, but:
- I'm an old-style gamer, who like more the historical pictures, because they help more to feel me on the battlefield.
- I cannot make 3D modells for the many Italian units.
If somebody wants to make them, I open for it too and than two seperate versions will be avaible for download.

Oh yes, if we are at downloadable content: it can happen, that my next post will be the downloadable demo of IC 2.0... 8)

Last edited by Uhu on Thu May 09, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:59 am

I think b/w bigunit pics are a good alternative, esp. when you're using units from several souces, some with big versions included, some not. Looking forward to what you come up with :)

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”