Stony Road campaign

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: Stony Road campaign [BETA]

Post by nikivdd »

And now Rostov.
A very entertaining scenario. Some frontline units to cut through, two frontline cities to capture, followed by the encirclement of Stalino (VH) and then a head-on assault of Rostov (VH).
The weather is the difficulty factor in this scenario, lots of rain, lots of mud and the few turns i could use my airforce i did make good use of them.
It feels pretty right with 18 core units + 3 SE units. I am satisfied that improper scouting might result in an unpleasant situation, like for example near the bridge of Taganrog.
An improvement might be to add a bomber and at least a T-34 (what! no T-34 on the map? :wink: ). Do you also have plans to upgrade your maps esthetically?
I got a MV at turn 21/24 with my knees in the mud :D
Very nice job Mick *handshake*
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MickMannock »

nikivdd wrote:Finished Kiev South today. It went better than expected, despite i could not deploy my entire core.
At Cherkassy i crossed the river in round 2, at Kremenchug at round 3. From there pure blitzkrieg and encircling victory hexes.
I didn't commit any of my core units to take Kiev, there are plenty of auxiliaries to do the job.
I finished the mission in 10/23 DV. No units lost.
It is quite an easy scenario, I know. And it's supposed to be that too. But perhaps it's a tad too easy? Maybe I should remove some of the aux coming from the north?

And it is intentional that you are not able to deploy your entire core. It's a way to make the scenario (slightly) more difficult.

nikivdd wrote:And now Rostov.
A very entertaining scenario. Some frontline units to cut through, two frontline cities to capture, followed by the encirclement of Stalino (VH) and then a head-on assault of Rostov (VH).
The weather is the difficulty factor in this scenario, lots of rain, lots of mud and the few turns i could use my airforce i did make good use of them.
It feels pretty right with 18 core units + 3 SE units. I am satisfied that improper scouting might result in an unpleasant situation, like for example near the bridge of Taganrog.
An improvement might be to add a bomber and at least a T-34 (what! no T-34 on the map? :wink: ). Do you also have plans to upgrade your maps esthetically?
I got a MV at turn 21/24 with my knees in the mud :D
Very nice job Mick *handshake*
It's good that this scenario was a bit more difficult than KievSouth. It's supposed to be that way. In real real, the Germans just barely got to Rostov, hung onto it for a few days, before that had to make a tactical retreat behind the river Mius.

Actually, in the latest version I added two KV-tanks. After my own testing I felt it lacked heavy tanks. I opted for KV:s instead of T-34:s because I wanted some variety.

And sure, I guess adding a bomber would be reasonable.

I have no plans on upgrading the maps esthetically. I know there's a lot of custom tiles out there. It's just that I feel the vanilla graphics are good enough for me. I'm not really that into graphics I suppose.

Thanks for all the help testing this, nikivdd. I appreciate it a lot. :)
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

About the Kiev South mission: there were no auxiliaries in the north part of the map. Just the couple of empty (city) hexes with german flags. Perhaps there are units there with auxiliary box unticked in the scenario editor.
About Rostov, taking the weather into consideration, i think the KV's (and a bomber) make the puzzle complete.

With esthically i meant - i'm no map pro either - to let different kinds of rivers flow into eachother nicely and into the sea, bridges over the rivers and a tad more terrain diversity.
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

nikivdd wrote:About the Kiev South mission: there were no auxiliaries in the north part of the map. Just the couple of empty (city) hexes with german flags. Perhaps there are units there with auxiliary box unticked in the scenario editor.
About Rostov, taking the weather into consideration, i think the KV's (and a bomber) make the puzzle complete.
I'm wondering if you perhaps are playing version 1 of the two beta-versions I've put up for download. Because I fixed that problem in my latest update.
nikivdd wrote: With esthically i meant - i'm no map pro either - to let different kinds of rivers flow into eachother nicely and into the sea, bridges over the rivers and a tad more terrain diversity.
Regarding rivers, that's fixed in latest version too. I didn't think of the bridges though, so I've fixed that. Thanks.

Regarding terrain diversity. What specifically do you have in mind? The map is modelled after the map in War in the East, so rivers, towns, swamps and forrests should be at proper locations.

*edit*

Realized I hadn't taken care of the graphical details for AGN or AGS so fixed that too.
MickMannock

Re: Stony Road campaign

Post by MickMannock »

I consider this campaign done now. Updated the download link in the original post.

I've played it through several times and nikivdd helped me out too, which I appreciated a lot. Thanks!

Hope some people get some enjoyment out of this. Right now I'm looking forward to Afrika Corps. :)
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I installed this mod and I don't see it listed as a separate campaign, is this correct?

I had to go to the my games section and drag the files into the mods folder for it to work. do i need this highlighted on the gme folder as well?
I have everything mixed up and prob doing extra steps for the mod
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

For this one you do not need the GME, just extract the mod into the Mods file. The path is as follows:

My Documents/My Games/Panzer Corps/Mods (if file not present you need to make one).

You then find it in the classified folder (bottom-right of screen), under User-Made Campaigns.
Richard
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks Richard for the quick reply, I think I placed your mod correctly. Do you guys ever use teamspeak or xfire to communicate?
Thork
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Thork »

Just so you know... Some of the "original" HSR team is still kicking.
I'm pretty sure that no one got a problem with the mod-name but it's nice to see where the inspiration came from.
Btw. HSR 1/2 usually referred to the mod itself while stonyroad referred to the website/forum (checked recently and up).
Also the mods are still downloadable and a new conversion for DH (untested) was even made some time ago.
I'm currently thinking about starting some work again... might be on PC might be on HoI or even some other random game...

Btw: Feel free to post a link at stonyroad, maybe you could even get approval ;) A few guys are still active and might try your mod.
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

demyansk wrote:Thanks Richard for the quick reply, I think I placed your mod correctly. Do you guys ever use teamspeak or xfire to communicate?
You're welcome, but I had better clarify that I was not a member of the team that created this mod; I only downloaded it from this site myself. :lol:
Richard
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I actually lost in the Sealion scenario, I had the last flag with a tank in it with 1 rating.

Does anyone ever get a decisive victory on this scenario?
the_finger
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by the_finger »

What a pity! The download link isn't working anymore :(
mc261209
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by mc261209 »

Please someone has a link to download this mod?
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

where is this download? Link is not working bummer
DoctorCreepy
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by DoctorCreepy »

Yes a download link would be great!
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

DoctorCreepy wrote:Yes a download link would be great!
Doubtful.
The author's last post in this thread is five years ago.
DoctorCreepy

Post by DoctorCreepy »

nikivdd wrote:
DoctorCreepy wrote:Yes a download link would be great!
Doubtful.
The author's last post in this thread is five years ago.
Yeah but you can blame a guy for trying! :)

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”