Guille's PzCorps Support Base - Multipurpose Icons and more.

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Multipurpose (AA-AT) Unit Icons

Post by bebro » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:57 am

guille1434 wrote:To all: I use Paint.Net and the problem is that when I enlarge one icon to the 296x296 format of the big units file it blurs a lot! As bigunits images are not use in the battle map, just as a "presentation card" in the info screens, for me is no big problem to use a small image taken from one of the icons... Or in the case of the transformed multipurpose AA-At units, I just rename the AA big unit file and use the same image.

I know this may be important to oteher people, so I will give GIMP a shot and try to learn something about its use (will look for manuals, and educational videos). I like so much this forum full of most savvy, helpful and full of ideas people!!

Can you change the perspective of an icon image and enlarge it to look just right for a bigunit image using GIMP without blurring it beyond recognition? I have to be able to do that!
[/quote]

Depending on how small the original is and how much you enlarge drastic resizing will give rather bad results. If you make a pic only some pixels bigger it could be acceptable still. Given your software has effects like "sharpen" (dunno about paint.net) etc. you can try to play around with it, but don't expect too much from it. Bottom line is that enlarging pixel-based images works only well to a certain degree.

If it helps, the opposite way works often a bit better - making a bigger pic smaller. A bit of sharpening in the end can be useful here too.

Re perspective: software like Photoshop etc. allows to make perspectivic looks to some degree, but usually you cannot make a 2d pic into another one showing a completely different view in that way. A unit's map icon showing the sideview cannot simply be turned into the big UI icon showing the isometric view known from PzC. It will rather look like a sideview "folded around" like a piece of paper or so...

Recent PS versions have more sophisticated 3d functions, but from what I've seen this needs access to full-blown 3d models.

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:58 am

bebro wrote: Re perspective: software like Photoshop etc. allows to make perspectivic looks to some degree, but usually you cannot make a 2d pic into another one showing a completely different view in that way. A unit's map icon showing the sideview cannot simply be turned into the big UI icon showing the isometric view known from PzC. It will rather look like a sideview "folded around" like a piece of paper or so...
Exactly.

guille1434
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Ok... I knew about the "sharpen" tool... used it in Irfanview, I think there is not such a tool in Paint.Net... I'm glad it is present in The Gimp. I am slowly making myself familiar with that piece of software, it is very complete in its functions. The "Sharpen" thing is not a miracle tool, however.

guille1434

Post by guille1434 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Well, here are some more units to expand the "armory"...

Using as a base the Opel Blitz icon, I made a Mercedes 4500, a 4.5 ton heavy truck, which can be used in its transport form as a cheaper alternative to the "heavypull" halftrack present in the game (sdkfz.7). This truck, also, was the basis for some self-propelled AA guns that I will try to convert in PzCorps icons... It was produced as well in a "maultier" variant, which used the track system of the PzII.

Also I produced a "flatbed" (without its canvas cover on the cargo bed) version of the Opel Blitz, which can be used as a transport unit (obvious!) and as a basis for...

A 3.7 cm Flak37 SPAA - SPAT

I will try to make the "bigunits" for those icons also...
Attachments
Opel_Blitz_Flatbed.png
Opel_Blitz_Flatbed.png (27.23 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
Mercedes_Benz_L4500.png
Mercedes_Benz_L4500.png (25.86 KiB) Viewed 6810 times

guille1434

Post by guille1434 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Mercedes Benz 4500 L Bigunit image...
Attachments
Mercedes_Benz_L4500.png
Mercedes_Benz_L4500.png (35.89 KiB) Viewed 6805 times

guille1434

Post by guille1434 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:52 pm

The 3.7 cm Flak37 Self-Propelled gun on Opel Blitz, in AA and AT modes...
Attachments
3.7cm_Flak37_Opel_Blitz_AT.png
3.7cm_Flak37_Opel_Blitz_AT.png (29.01 KiB) Viewed 6805 times
3.7cm_Flak37_Opel_Blitz_AA.png
3.7cm_Flak37_Opel_Blitz_AA.png (30.44 KiB) Viewed 6805 times

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:26 am

Here's the equipment file

1590 3.7 cm Flak 5 190 7 70 6 1 2 2 -2 -3 14 -1 3 9 0 0 0 3.7cm_Flak37_Opel_Blitz_AA.png 5.4.1939 1.1.1946 2 3.7 cm Opel Flak FlaK 1591 sea rail glider
1591 3.7 cm Flak AT 5 190 7 70 6 1 1 2 1 4 -13 -1 3 8 0 0 0 3.7cm_Flak37_Opel_Blitz_AT.png 5.4.1939 1.1.1946 2 3.7 cm Opel AT nopurchase fixedt FlaK 1590 sea rail glider

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Nice job with those units, grabbed a couple of them. The Pz IIIM with sideskirts looks great :)

Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:29 pm

bebro wrote:Nice job with those units
+1

guille1434

Post by guille1434 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:00 am

Hello to all again!
I have a question which should be asked, I think, to moderators of this forum:

I was working on last days and "produced" various icons (some more or less "new" and others derivatives from previous ones). The question is that if it would be possible, in order to make things easier for people who wants to download this icons, to edit the first post in this thread and upload a .rar file containing all the icons I made so far... I would be posting for news in new posts and updating this file in the first post. Besides, the idea is to upload also the equipment file and efx file for anyone who wants to have the "complete" package for playing the game including this units.

Thanks! I am waiting for an answer before doing anything...

Would I be breaking some forum rules by doing so? Is it Ok to upload rar files here? (is there a size limit?) Is it Ok also to upload files from the game itself (which have been somewhat "tweaked" and with new lines added)?

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:19 am

guille1434 wrote:Is it Ok to upload rar files here? (is there a size limit?) Is it Ok also to upload files from the game itself (which have been somewhat "tweaked" and with new lines added)?
I really don't know what is the limit. As for the tweaked files, that's what the mods do, so yes.
You can use Gamefront or SendSpace to host your files.

4kEY
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by 4kEY » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 am

VPaulus, can you put together some animations for the AT-mode Flak?

Guille, do you have offsets for the AT-mode flak?

guille1434

Post by guille1434 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Hello to all:
I think there is good news in Guille's corner... I decided to post all units made so far in on pack, downloadable from the first post of this thread... For people asking, included in this pack are the equipment and efx files, read on, please :-)

Guille's Multipurpose Icon Pack v1.00
-------------------------------------

File version: v1.00.01

Here is a brief description of the contents of this icon pack. Like the title reads, there are some multi-purpose icons (AA-AT and AT-Artillery), but there are also everything else:

10.5_cm_leFH18 = New icon, based on the 7.5 cm leFk and 15 cm sFH, used to replace the in-game icon, which was the same as the 7.5 cm artillery. This one comes in Arty and AT versions, with and without crew.

12.8cm_Flak40 = Icon made modifying the 8.8 cm Pak, again to replace the in-game icon, which used the same image for both AA units. Available in AA an AT versions. (I will try to improive this one a bit, in order to make it look a little more like 12.8 cm Flak and a little less like 8.8 cm Flak.

15cm_sIG_33 = Heavy Infantry towed support gun, absent from the original game unit set, but a worthy addition. This one was made using an icon from other in game unit. It is not looking exactly like a sIG33, but it does not look the same as the original artillery unit, at least. Help requested here from someone with computer graphic skills to make a better icon for the unit.

15cm_sIG_33_auf_PzII_AT = 15 cm sIG33 mounted on an special PzII chassis (widened and lenghtened) to make it much lower than Sturmpanzer I. Here is the AST version, to complement the artillert version provided in game.

2_cm_Flak_38_AT = Ground combat version of the 2 cm german AA gun.

2cm_Flakvierling_Mbenz_L4500 = 2 cm Flakvierling quad AA gun, mounted on a Mercedes Benz L4500 heavy 4x4 truck, in AA and ground combat versions.

3.7_cm_Flak_37_AT = Ground combat version of the 3,7 cm german AA gun.

3.7_cm_Flak37_Mbenz_L4500 = 3,7 cm Flak 37 AA gun, mounted on a Mercedes Benz L4500 heavy 4x4 truck, in AA and ground combat versions.

3.7_cm_Flak37_Opel_Blitz = 3,7 cm Flak 37 AA gun, mounted on a Opel Blitz 4x4 truck, in AA and ground combat versions.

3.7cm_Pak36_auf_Sdkfz_10 = The 3,7 cm Pak 36 gun mounted on the back of a 1 tn Halftrack. Cheap early war anti-tank vehicle.

5cm_Pak38_auf_Sdkfz_10 = The 5 cm Pak 38 gun mounted on the back of a 1 tn Halftrack. A little better in Hard Attack value than the Pzjager I, and it comes earlier than the 75 or 76 mm gunned Marder series.

7.5cm_FK16_nA = Crewed version of the 7.5 cm artillery unit, in Arty and AT variants. As a bonus it comes with regular crew and with Fallschirmjager crew... This last one used by me for my air transportable (the unit itself cannot parachute) para-support unit, in order to make the unit visually different than regular artillery (I like to form my Fallschirmjager corps inside my Panzer Corps!).

8.8cm_Flak18_(Sf): Icon downloaded from the Slitherine forum, and modified into AT and Arty version... Note: this early version of the 8.8 Flak gun mounted on the 8 ton halftrack was not capable of AA fire, because its elevation was limited to 35 degrees (and I suppose that the AA fire control gear was removed from it). It was used to attack enemy strongpoints with direct fire (I gave the unit an indirect fire support capability, as this gun was perfectly capable to do so, with range limited to 2 hexes, again because of the elevation limit). There was a later version, mounted on the 12 ton halftrack, that was capable of AA fire (icon unit in project).

Flakvierling_AT: Ground combat version of 2 cm Flakvierling AA gun.

Gepard_AT: Ground combat version of FlakPanzer 38(t).

HUrricane_Mk.IIC = NW Europe camo version of the Hurricane Mk.IIC (based on the superb Unit Factory Icon, available in this forum!). Made adapting the Mk.I icon, pasting the four wing guns and lenghtening a bit the nose of the aicraft (Hurricane MK.II had the nose more or less 27 cm / 11 inches longer than Mk.I version). Available in-game only for european theatre.

HUrricane_Mk.IIC_desert = Unit Factory Icon, with the nose lenghtened, as previously indicated.

HUrricane_Mk.IID = Unit Factory Icon, with the nose lenghtened, as previously indicated.

Mbenz_L4500 = Heavy transport unit, made usig as a base thge Opel icon, can be used as a cheaper "heavypull" transport unit than the Sdkfz 7.

Mbenz_L4500_flatbed = the same as the prevoius unit, but with uncovered cargo bed. Used by me as a base to make the AA guns mounted on this truck, maybe useful for someone who want to make some other weapon/equipment mountings, or use in game as an alternative truck unit icon.

Mbenz_L4500_Maultier = Tha Mercedes Benz L4500 heavy truck with a PzII running gear mounted in place of rear axle, half-track mobility for trucks! Available in canvas topped or uncovered cargo bed versions.

Mobelwagen_AT: Graound combat version of Mobelwagen AA unit.

Opel_Blitz_Flatbed / Maultier / Maultrier_Flatbed: Flatbed version of Opel truck, and half track version of the same unit, available also as ccovered or uncovered variants.

Ostwind_AT = Graund combat version of Ostwind AA vehicle.

Panzer_35(t) = Icon taken from Pz General Classic mod. A tank that was widely used in early war, which was absent from stock-game unit set.

Panzer_IIIM-schurtzen = 5 cm L/60 gunned version of Panzer III with Schurtzen additional armor. Useful to replace PzIIIM game icon, that was the same aa PzIIIL.

Sdfkfz_10-4_AT = Ground combat version of Sdkfz 10-4 AA vehicle.

Sdkfz_6-2 = Icon taken from Pz General Classic mod. An AA vehicle absent from stock-game unit set. Early half track mount for 3,7 cm Flak, later replaced by Sdkfz 7-2. Avaiulable in AA an ground combat variants.

Sdkfz_7-1_AT and Sdkfz_7-2_AT = Ground combat versions of the AA vehicles.

Soviet_25mm_SPAA = An addition to the AA soviet units, again present in Pz General Classic mod. Icon retouched a little here and there. Available in AA and ground combat variants.

Soviet_76mm_M1938 = Early war heavy AA gun, replaced later by the 85 mm one. They shered the same carriage, only the 76 mm used a shorter tube and smaller muzzle brake (an obviuous candidate for an easy icon transformation work!). Available in AA and ground combat variants.

Soviet_Bofors_40_mm = Modified stock game icon, the carriage was very large as I saw it from reference images, made it shorter and also shortened the side outriggers. I like it more the way it looks now.

Used to represent the soviet M1939 37mm gun in game, but I learned that the soviets used also Bofors 40 mm AA guns, so I have one new icon in project for the 37 mm gun and use this for the Bofors. Had to do some research about what would be the game statistics of both units and if it is posiible to differentiate them, in order to justify the presence of both units in game.

Soviet_GMC_Truck = Tha standard soviet truck icon looked to me like an american lend-lease truck, available only later in the war, so, changed the name of this icon and...

Soviet_truck1 = Took the stock game soviet truck icon and tried to make it look more like a russian truck (like a ZiS truck, for example). Made it a two axle vehicle and tried to make the driver cabin more square-looking. TRhis unit is available from the beginning of the German-Soviet war, and has lower stats than the american lend-lease truck. After doing this work, I saw that "Pz Corps Grand Strategy East" mod will include a Zis truck icon that looks much better... Oh, well

Soviet_Hurricane_Mk.I and Soviet_Hurricane_Mk.IIC = Based un Unit Factory Icons, adapted the british icons with the soviet red star insignia... I like more the brown-green camo of this icons that the blue-green of the Unit Factory Soviet Hurricane icon (which as all others air units is EXCELLENT). I learned that soviets received many Hurricanes in MK.I and Mk.IIC versions, and used them with the british paint scheme. So this units are, more or less, "historycally" possible.

Sturmpanzer_I_AT = Direct fire version of artillery unit.

T-90_SPAAG = Game stock icon, modified a bit to look like a twin gunned mounting, available in AA and ground combat variants.

Truck_Fiat = Icon downloaded from the forum, not touched in any way, I included it in my game and in this pack because I like it so much!

Wirbelwind_AT = Ground combat version of AA vehicle.

Included in the Pack are the equipment and efx files.
----------------------------------------------------

This files are the complete v1.10 files with all the additions in the last part of each file. Be warned: there are a lot of stock units tweaked by me as I saw fit to make some aspects of the game more accurate (or just enjoyable, but always with some hard facts research). Range and Air attack of AA units is not the same as vanilla game, all transport trucks have Soft attack = -1, etc...

Other intriguing concept: The Fi-156 con be switched to a land unit (without move capacity) in order to reflect its capacity to land nearly everywere to refuel (no need to be in an airfrield!)

Use (or NOT use) as you see fit.
The efx file must be considered highly experimental, as I copied offsets and animations of other stock game units which seemed to be similar enough to work for the new units.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Incoming projects
-----------------

(Included here in order to avoid effort duplication with other people working in unit icons):

F-156C-5/Trop = Long range and "tropicalised" version of the Fieseler Storch, used in North Africa in multitude of roles. According to the book "Warplanes of the Luftwaffe" by Airtimes Publishing, this sturdy machines had a front life expectancy ten times longer than a Bf-109 fighter, and were used for rather risky missions, for example, bringing downed aircrew fron deep behind enemy lines. Wil try to make a desert colored unit icon using Bosnian Dragon green icon and processing it with the "Camo Sprayshop" tool and see if it results in something useful.

Krupp Protze light trucks: In its basic cargo version, as well as the versions mounting the Flak 38 AA gun and Pak 36 AT gun. Found some awesome model pics in the internet, again looking from the right angle, will try to convert them in useful icons

FlakPz IA = Early war SPAAG, mounting a 2 cm Flak on a lightly modified PzIA turretless chassis.

3,7 cm Flakzwilling 43 = Found a good image of it in the correct angle, will try to convert it to a game icon.

Eisenbahn Flak = 12.8 cm and 8.8 cm flak mounted on rail flak cars. I have the base flatcar provided by a fellow modder, will try to mount the guns and ammo-keeping superstructures on it. THANKS!

Wishlist (inevitably...):
------------------------

Units I would like to see in game, but are far away of my skill to create them

Henschel Hs-126 observation/tactical recon plane: a more specific air recon oriented unit than the Fi-156.

Henschel Hs-123: A litle attack biplane I like very much. There is one icon available, but it looks too much dark for me and it has pre-war markings. If the Fi-156 / Camo Spray shop experiment goes passably well, wil try to re-skin that icon.

sIG 33 infantry: A more accurate looking icon that the one I improvised.

DISCLAIMER / CREDITS:
---------------------

In no way I am saying that any of those icons are my creations / propierty... As I got them for free, I give them for free, after I modified them to look better (as I see them) or just different. Use them in any way you please if you like them!!

I give huge thanks to all people in the Slitherine forum here who offer instant help or advice whatever be the question asked, and use their (always precious) time to give us PzCorps gamers a lot of ways to improve this "game universe", in the form of complete mod packs, tools, icons, files, and a long etc. (As I write this, I have no access to internet and I am very bad remembering names: nikivdd, rezaf, airbornemongo101, vpaulus, bebro, etc, etc... Please forgive me for anyone who is missing / misspelled).

By doing this I want to add my 1 cent to game experience and as a byproduct, to learn using image processing software (Paint.Net and Gimp).

Credits are due to all people who made the stuff I used as a base for all the things I am offering here.

If someone who created icons dislike the "work" I made with them, please ask them to be removed from this pack and I WILL do so.

Please, as English is NOT my native language, I ask everyone apologies for crimes perpetrated against it when using this marvellous language.

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:35 pm

I'll definitely have a look into that pile of units :)
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

guille1434

Re: Guille's PzCorps Support Base - Multipurpose Icons and m

Post by guille1434 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Please do so nikivdd! They are for being viewed and used!

airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Good job,keep it up.

I'll have to dive in also
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:59 pm

guille1434 wrote:Please do so nikivdd! They are for being viewed and used!
I already do :)

I just need to emphesise the Balkenkreuz here and there but i got plenty of time :)
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

airbornemongo101

Post by airbornemongo101 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:04 pm

nikivdd wrote:
guille1434 wrote:Please do so nikivdd! They are for being viewed and used!
I already do :)

I just need to emphesise the Balkenkreuz here and there but i got plenty of time :)
Great job Nico,,,,awesome work

You are a mask making and camo applying machine :P

When you get a chance , can I get my hands on those new masks? :shock:
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5

Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Looks very good...I think I should have a closer look :)
...it would be still on time to add one or another thingi to the PzC East unit roster although of course I have to set a deadline (nomoreaddline)
somewhere or I never get the monster done :D

airbornemongo101

Post by airbornemongo101 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Chris10 wrote:Looks very good...I think I should have a closer look :)
...it would be still on time to add one or another thingi to the PzC East unit roster although of course I have to set a deadline (nomoreaddline)
somewhere or I never get the monster done :D
Chris, I think they (the dual flaks)would be a good addition to ur roster for garrisons. I know..it's more work,but...

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”