Maelstrom (US and Red Dawn campaign)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Maelstrom (US and Red Dawn campaign)

Post by El_Condoro »

November 8th is the 70th anniversary of Operation 'Torch'. To commemorate the event I am releasing Maelstrom - US Campaign - which spans the US involvement in the ETO of World War Two, from Torch, to Italy, to Europe. It does not cover all US actions (e.g. 'Market-Garden' is intended for the British campaign, as is Monte Cassino etc) but it covers most of them.

RED DAWN
An optional 'what-if' campaign against the Russians can take your core even further. If you want to import your core from Maelstrom - US Campaign, you must provoke the Russians in the final scenario by crossing the line marked on the map. Without doing that, the core is not saved.

Campaign Overview

Data Files Installation:
Game files (260Mb): Use the GME. No other mods are required and should be uninstalled from the GME first. Extract the ZIP file to the main GME folder and install.
Further instructions for the GME found here

Campaign Files Installation:
Maelstrom - US Campaign Scenario/campaign files
Maelstrom - Red Dawn Scenario/campaign files *: This can be played as a stand-alone campaign or as an addendum to the main US Campaign.
Extract the ZIP file to the "Mods" folder in your My Games\Panzer Corps folder. To play the campaign, you will find it under the 'Other campaigns' folder on the 'New Game' screen.

Please note that Maelstrom was not designed to be compatible with other mods or the vanilla game - use the GME to install and play Maelstrom, but uninstall it when playing other mods or starting MP games.

Testing
The campaign has been fully tested by me, however, it needs to be tested by others with the various configurations of Panzer Corps to determine if it will have any game-breaker issues, like not being able to open scenarios due to lacking required content. Other things like scenario balance are almost impossible to get right for everyone, so I didn't try - it's designed to be played on Colonel difficulty but some will find it too easy, others too hard etc. Historical accuracy is likewise subjective - I tried to make it historical but may have taken some licence in the interests of playability. If you have any game-breaker issues please let me know ASAP.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and if you have any comments, questions, suggestions, criticisms etc - feel free to share them.

Cheers
El Condoro
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Re: Maelstrom (US campaign) **NEW OCT 2012**

Post by Chris10 »

airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 »

Thank You
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 »

Very cool! Thanks for all your hard work and effort!
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Looking good. I'll certainly give it another go, but not so soon. Anyway, I'm looking forward to play it :)
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

Great job. Must have taken you lots of your free time. Congrats on the release :)
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Thanks guys.

Apparently my sound and equipment files are a mess - if there are units that don't have sounds or weird animations, let me know. Given that they are only used by Maelstrom it won't affect anything else. Cheers.
bt2steam
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by bt2steam »

Do i have to have AK or 1.11 to run this as i have no map showing up and have to reboot to get game going again?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

You don't need AK expansion but you'll definitely need patch 1.10 at least for the sound... after I finished. I'm working as fast as I can to fix most of the sound issues.
Shrike
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Shrike »

Great work El_Condoro*, enjoying things so far. I think I may have run into a bug though. In the deployment phase for Sicily, I see 15 slots are allowed to be deployed. However, it looks like only air units are allowed to be placed on the map (no boat placement hexes).

There's another issue: landing crafts already there can't move in shallow water. Unless they started out against the shoreline, this means they just remain stuck with no chance to disembark :?

* Thanks for correcting me VPaulus :)
Last edited by Shrike on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bt2steam
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by bt2steam »

ok so i dont need AK i have 1.10 or did you mean 1.11 when i start the game the the area where the map is supposed to be is blacked out and i have no control, have to reboot sytem. thanks for help
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Shrike wrote:Great work VPaulus, enjoying things so far.
The work is from El_Condoro. We have the same avatar. :mrgreen:
I'm just the sound man. :)
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

bt2steam wrote:ok so i dont need AK i have 1.10 or did you mean 1.11 when i start the game the the area where the map is supposed to be is blacked out and i have no control, have to reboot sytem. thanks for help
Only El_Condoro can answer for sure, but I think you'll need 1.11.
wanwei
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by wanwei »

bt2steam wrote:ok so i dont need AK i have 1.10 or did you mean 1.11 when i start the game the the area where the map is supposed to be is blacked out and i have no control, have to reboot sytem. thanks for help
I have the same issue and I have v1.11 patch and AC installed... 1 thing to note is I am running with /nocache command.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

I started designing with 1.04 and have updated all the way to 1.11. The AK tilesets are 1.10/11 so I expect using 1.11 would be the best option. I have not tried using /nocache but will give it a go tonight.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Shrike wrote:Great work El_Condoro*, enjoying things so far. I think I may have run into a bug though. In the deployment phase for Sicily, I see 15 slots are allowed to be deployed. However, it looks like only air units are allowed to be placed on the map (no boat placement hexes).

There's another issue: landing crafts already there can't move in shallow water. Unless they started out against the shoreline, this means they just remain stuck with no chance to disembark :?

* Thanks for correcting me VPaulus :)
That's strange - I just started a new campaign and cheat coded to Sicily and all deployment hexes work fine and the transports can move in shallow water as they should. Can you confirm that your \data\movement.pzdat has this in the River section (at the bottom)?

#River
# Terrain Movement cost
# Dry Muddy Frozen
Sea 1 1 -100
Shallow Sea 1 1 -100
Lake 1 1 -100
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Yup, the mod movement.pzdat file has those exact values at the bottom. I even reinstalled the mod via the GME to verify, but same result. could this have something to do with the way you've modded in shallow water? i noticed heavier ships can't approach the shoreline. By the way: I have no problems moving the landing barges in the shallow sea in the first scenario.

Something else I noticed in Kasserine: the GB units couldn't traverse the bridge across the river at the bottom right of the map. Haven't tested with US or Free french units.
Last edited by Shrike on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

The bridge is as designed - unfortunately, there was no other way I could get the Axis forces in the south to stay in the south. When the crossing was viable they would try to head north! Of course, that's not what they should do. :) You must be doing pretty well for the Brits to get through the Germans though, so I may need to think of another way to get the Axis forces to do what they're told and put back the crossing. What turn did they get to that point?

As for the shallow water thing, I'm at a loss so far - it works as designed for me but will continue to investigate.
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Got there the last two turns. The Germans seem to be headed towards the GB city beyond the hills, so by forming a defensive line in the mountains with the artillery piece in the back and the AA gun behind it, those Pioniere get chopped up eventually. I did have a US paratrooper help them out. That's right, he was on foot because you were so kind to eliminate airlifts on the map :)
floplop
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by floplop »

after the first scenario the game tries to load the second one..an error message says 'cannot start game the required content package is missing'

any help on this??

thanks

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”