[Axis Campaign] Legacy of Versailles-vanilla v0.3 (11/08/14)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

timek28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: [Axis Campaign] Legacy of Versailles-vanilla v0.3 (11/08

Post by timek28 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:33 pm

One thing I have noticed is the so called "Reich's economic trigger". It is really vague what this means. Sometimes it takes all prestige you have, sometimes it takes 200 prestige at certain turns, and in latest scenario that I'm playing (Bonus Mission 04), for some reason I received around 15000 prestige for no apparent reason on turn 2, and keep receiving around 1000 prestige per turn after that. And the scenario says "Reich's economic trigger" at turn 2 again. It makes no sense what this means, although I like getting prestige.

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:10 pm

timek28 wrote:One thing I have noticed is the so called "Reich's economic trigger". It is really vague what this means. Sometimes it takes all prestige you have, sometimes it takes 200 prestige at certain turns, and in latest scenario that I'm playing (Bonus Mission 04), for some reason I received around 15000 prestige for no apparent reason on turn 2, and keep receiving around 1000 prestige per turn after that. And the scenario says "Reich's economic trigger" at turn 2 again. It makes no sense what this means, although I like getting prestige.
I should have disabled all those triggers, but one that gives prestige, i'll better leave it ;)
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

timek28

Post by timek28 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:27 am

I have nothing against the -200 trigger in Norway. It really pushes you to conquer Kiruna fast. And it has reasonable explanation - iron ore.

Other triggers are not so well explained. Especially this last one which adds prestige. At least it should be called differently, and maybe explained.

But if I recall well in original game as well as DLCs there was no explanation if prestige was suddenly added.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:22 am

timek28 wrote:I have nothing against the -200 trigger in Norway. It really pushes you to conquer Kiruna fast. And it has reasonable explanation - iron ore.

Other triggers are not so well explained. Especially this last one which adds prestige. At least it should be called differently, and maybe explained.

But if I recall well in original game as well as DLCs there was no explanation if prestige was suddenly added.
Let's say i'll call it the hand of God, just like Maradonna used to say ;)
Any left over (unexplained) prestige triggers remained after i removed the triggers which resetted the prestige to 0, folllowed by a prestige trigger that gave some prestige back to the player. I'll leave it as it is.

timek28

Post by timek28 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Then please leave hand of God :)

One more remark. Sometimes there are vague victory conditions. For example in Greenland scenario:

DV - Defeat the Americans (I believe this means to destroy all US units)
MV - Capture all primary objectives

timek28

Post by timek28 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:08 pm

I passed 4 scenarios this weekend and arrived at the first US scenario finally. My core composition now is much better then before and more or less I have an easy time with AI. 5 repetitions of LoV have proved significant.

Anyways aside from my standard insignificant observations about victory conditions etc. I came to conclusion that certain scenarios have a bit too much rain. For example Maple Leaf scenario is in June. Playing this scenario it seems that every second, or third turn it is raining. OK it is Canadian east cost but still, that much rain in June is a bit far fetched in my opinion.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:31 am

timek28 wrote:I passed 4 scenarios this weekend and arrived at the first US scenario finally. My core composition now is much better then before and more or less I have an easy time with AI. 5 repetitions of LoV have proved significant.

Anyways aside from my standard insignificant observations about victory conditions etc. I came to conclusion that certain scenarios have a bit too much rain. For example Maple Leaf scenario is in June. Playing this scenario it seems that every second, or third turn it is raining. OK it is Canadian east cost but still, that much rain in June is a bit far fetched in my opinion.
Thanks for the feedback :)
Possibility of rain has been adjusted for the scenarios Nova Scotia and Quebec.

timek28

Post by timek28 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Nikki I'm sorry to say I have stopped to play Panzer Coprs altogether. Once again I didn't have the nerve to finish LoV.

I'm sorry, I tried my best. I'm obviously not as passionate about PC as you are. 3 years of intense playing have been enough for me.

I'm still open to beta testing any new official PC content (not mods), or other similar games alike that are reasonable in length.

Right now I'm taking hiatus and playing other games.

Cheers.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:16 pm

timek28 wrote:Nikki I'm sorry to say I have stopped to play Panzer Coprs altogether. Once again I didn't have the nerve to finish LoV.

I'm sorry, I tried my best. I'm obviously not as passionate about PC as you are. 3 years of intense playing have been enough for me.

I'm still open to beta testing any new official PC content (not mods), or other similar games alike that are reasonable in length.

Right now I'm taking hiatus and playing other games.

Cheers.
No need to apologize :)
You did a terrific job and i am in your debt. Hopefully in the future i will be able to repay you ;).

When i check the number of downloads and the amount of feedback, it is in vain to admit that i am somewhat disappointed, that only very few people found time to post.
I think this mod always deserved better, but alas it was not meant to be. This is also one of the reasons why i stepped out of the Ultimate edition of LoV. After three years, i cannot any longer generate the energy to create a mod that requires so much time to develop. Like with many other great mods which are available in this section, it is apparant if it comes without a prize tag, nobody really bothers to write a few (nice) words to the person or persons who created their piece of art.

timek28

Post by timek28 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Thans for the nice words Nico :)

I've done my best, but my biggest mistake was probably trying to play several times. I should have played mod once, even if I had to resort to slight cheating. Instead I tried to play a perfect game, and in the end I even didn't finish it.

You shouldn't be too discouraged that people are not posting on LoV. You can see them posting quite a lot on your newest mod. It would be nice though if people who did indeed finish LoV gave a word or two. My fear is that not too many people did finish it. Word for word it is a gargantuan mod very hard to finish. My guess is that maybe several players could split it between them and finish it that way passing savegames between each other. In that way no one would get saturated.

And at the end as you said it is truly a work of art :) I appreciate everything you did and are doing for this community. So do others.

hs1611
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by hs1611 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:24 pm

I haven't even started it.
Have to finish GTPG first, which is not easy when you keep coming up with other stuff all the time.

asuser
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by asuser » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:06 pm

nikivdd wrote: When i check the number of downloads and the amount of feedback, it is in vain to admit that i am somewhat disappointed, that only very few people found time to post.
I think this mod always deserved better, but alas it was not meant to be. This is also one of the reasons why i stepped out of the Ultimate edition of LoV. After three years, i cannot any longer generate the energy to create a mod that requires so much time to develop. Like with many other great mods which are available in this section, it is apparant if it comes without a prize tag, nobody really bothers to write a few (nice) words to the person or persons who created their piece of art.
Hello Nico,

nice to see you life and well. As a member of the LOV ultimate project I can fully understand you. Such a big project work needs constant power and time...and nerves. With full load of modding work I don't have also time to play all of these great mods. But now I have also decided to take the time to play first "smaller" campaigns e.g. Turan campaign from McGuba. I think it's a good way to play it like a warm up task. After finish that well made mod, I will try to play the GTPG and finally the LOV campaign. I think most of the gamers are fully satisfied to play the campaigns without posting their experiences. So, I want to say...please don't wondering or be unhappy about the missing feedback, your mods are also more than great. Timeless beauties!

Greetings!

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:02 pm

My problem with finishing LoV was that I have been still modifying the movement.pzdat file of my mod which won’t be updated during a single, continuous campaign. It’s possible to edit savedgames to hex-edit values but not if you add entire movement types. Modding and playing at same time is my motivation with this game, so I need to do both.
I'm also not a big fan of super-hero units which LoV unfortunately offers too much. I'd rather see a campaign coming with its own e-file when someone disagrees with unit stats or only offer aux units with super-heroes. I got a bit tired of changing others' campaigns to my likening.

The Alternate Grand Campaign is much more player and modder-friendly, as it has several chapters which don’t take forever to complete. I have only played LoV until near mid Africa where battles were getting harder and longer, and where you have to care more about strategy and veteran units. I can understand the frustration of someone who needs to replay such 30 turn scenarios just because you weren’t fast enough or lost too many precious units. I've also adopted the idea there to lower the required kills for heroes, so you won't always cry if you loose veteran units.

I’m all good with the AGC at moment. The lack of history is a fine change in my book as you start to know each historic battle inside out when playing wargames for decades.

timek28

Post by timek28 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Horst wrote:I can understand the frustration of someone who needs to replay such 30 turn scenarios just because you weren’t fast enough or lost too many precious units. I've also adopted the idea there to lower the required kills for heroes, so you won't always cry if you loose veteran units.
Kudos to this. I really felt helpless at the moments playing LoV. For example if there was a new swarm of enemy planes after dozens of previous swarms. There is no let down in LoV. AI keeps pumping out units, there are lots of turns and maps are huge. It takes extraordinary diligence to finish it without resorting to some kind of cheating.

Come to think about it It, it would have been great if the campaign ended grandiosely with UK (80 turn scenario). It would be icing on cake, and IMO perfect campaign length. I've always been quitting several scenarios into US campaign since scenarios are starting to look too much alike (swarms of US planes attacking again and again). In the end I had like 8 fighters and 8 AA guns to deal with those endless pests.

brdrumz
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by brdrumz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:18 am

Hello everyone....

I must admit that LoV is a BIG, HUGE game....but I love it. I have started it twice in it's version .01 and .02 but have yet to try version .03.
I love the fact it's lengthy and there are lots of units. It gives endless hours of PzC playing time and I dig that!!
(I tend to like the bigger armies than the smaller ones.)

**My current problem is I am wrapped up in the GTPG Mod, and am somewhere in the middle with the Anzio/Breakout scenarios.
I have NEVER been able to complete the GTPG mod either, and my goal is to actually finally finish one before I tackle LoV again. :)

I appreciate all the comments and updates that Nikkivdd has done and his creations to the overall game makes PzC my Favorite game ever!!
I used to think Panzer General was the greatest....well it was for a long time. Now I find myself submersed in Panzer Corps. I can only hope that people keep modding the game and that the new campaigns that come out continue to be fun and have several surprises. As a whole, I don't know where the "franchise" can go....but I know as long as I have these Mods downloaded, I can play WWII battles forever and it keeps me busy when I have free time to enjoy it. Thanks for everyone's input to the game and Nikkivdd for his continued support and creations.

davidhansen
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by davidhansen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:14 pm

I would like to express my compliments and appreciation to Nikkivdd for all his super mods!

I started LOV about a year ago and played 3/4 scenerios. I stopped because I wanted to first complete the GTPG mod (with elite units) that I had previously started/stopped a couple of years ago. A great mod that I'm 17 scenerios into and completed. The one thing that helped me using v1.21 was to add 5 turns to each scenerio (playing on the 4th hardest level). This really helped to keep my frustration level down and enthusiasm up.

I usually have 3/4 other PC games that I go back and forth on...so time and attention is not fully on GTPG.

But...kudos NIKKIVDD...these two mods will remain on my hard drive for a long time...quality is never dimmed by time.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks guys for all the kind words :)

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 am

I'm not really into huge maps, but when I have had a go at LoV it has been very impressive. There always seems to be at least one part that requires some real thinking to find a solution (apart from restarting).

timek28

Post by timek28 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:25 am

@captainjack I agree. There are some very nice scenarios, that require bold flanking maneuvers, forcing the rivers etc. Also what I have liked very much is that in several scenarios there is an exclusive need for para-drops deep behind enemy lines, otherwise it is impossible to meet victory conditions. East African scenarios (as well as Norway) are such maps.

However due to sheer volume of maps, scores of AI units and extend of the mod it is not easy to recognize these nuisances all the time and restarts are required quite often just from the fatigue. One of the more obnoxious scenarios in that regard is Ethiopia. Which allows you to place only 2 (or 4 I don't remember well), of your core units, and conquer a wast map all the way to the south with lots of choke points. I had to restart this scenario many times over to get the right combination of units, as it requires not only to deploy only 2 (or 4) core units, but player also has to perform a para-drop behind enemy lines as well.

brdrumz

Post by brdrumz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:57 am

Variety of strategies....I like the scenarios that keep us guessing.
No issues with replaying scenarios various times till you learn the tricks - after all if it was all easy, we wouldn't enjoying playing it and cursing at the computer or stupid moves we previously made. That is what makes the game FUN! :)

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”