[Axis Campaign] Legacy of Versailles-vanilla v0.3 (11/08/14)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: [MOD] Legacy of Versailles-vanilla v0.2 (13/02/14)

Post by Horst »

There are plenty differences due to my own e-file (calculation), so the campaign doesn’t play the same like in vanilla.
My increase in movement alone makes it often easier to reach targets in time, although the AI on assault is also quite quick to reach and pass my positions. Planes easily reach their destination in one turn, but bombers only have 3 ammo, so can't harass and defend forever. New units, proper arty ranges (the enemy’s too of course!), etc, etc...

My current core in Battleaxe:
1x Inf (depending on hero types, I upgrade them later to something else)
2x Gren (prefer them with movement hero, but good defense is always welcomed)
2x FschJg (only dropped them into close terrain regions so far due fear of tanks)
2x GebJg
4x Pio (these switch cheaply to bridge engineers sometimes because they share the same series)
2x Krad (one has two spotting heroes, providing Sight 5! Excellent to (re-)capture all these empty towns in nowhere land, because only infantry can capture flags in my game)
2x Jg (Jäger, legged Move 4 GebJg)
1x SE Gren
1x SE Jg
6x Pz.3G
2x Pz.4F (they are still hopeless against tanks of course, but I need some cheap upgrades later)
2xPz.B1(f) (Char B1, like the Matilda excellent to endure artillery, better vs. inf than Matilda)
2xPz.Mk2(e) (Matilda II, the best anti-tank siege/defense tank so far, sucks vs. inf due lack of HE shells)
1x SE Pz.3G
1x SE Pz.4F
1x SdKfz 232
3x StuG.3B (range 2, better than StuPz.1 if assaulting fortified positions with enemy artillery. I got Ausf. D (and E but not for Africa) later with improved HT shells)
5x StuPz.1 (range 2, cheesy to play with, but aren’t available after France anymore)
1x leIG 18 (range 2, my paratrooper arty)
4x 21 cm Mrs 18 (range 4, forts and strongholds have only sight 3, so it’s easier for arty to shell)
Gerät 040 and Schwerer Gustav (range 3/8 with train mode to move, which I haven’t really used after France and Spain. I feel they are too powerful as core units)
1x 28 cm K 5 (E) (range 11 with train mode to move, I prefer this cheaper railway gun if no serious strongholds are to overcome. The range sounds silly, but forts have range 4-6 too depending on country)
2x 24 cm K3 (range 6, my invaluable siege arty with extreme range, but cost 789 with SdKfz 9. Very costly to reinforce and overstrength, so have to be used carefully in the background)
2x Flak 36 (with arty range 4, these typically protect my siege artillery and help decimating planes before my fighters engage. I try to avoid using them in AT role due fear of artillery. They have Move 0, hence easily surrender)
5x Bf 109F-1 (plenty variants to upgrade to throughout the war)
2x Ju 87B
1x Bf 110D
1x Ju-88A-4 (better SA but weaker HA compared to Stukas)
1x Bv 138C-1 (my long range recon plane with small bomb load. Very useful for scouting fortified positions, like Tobruk, with the recon move)
2x He 111H-6 (many variants throughout the war, although He 177 later is more powerful but much more expensive)
And the ships of course, where I haven’t lost a single one yet. I use them very carefully, and mainly only battleships and the submarine. My scout plane and the submarine are very useful there to scout for enemy ships. I tend to use the strategic bombers first to weaken the AI ships before I engage with my capital ships. Enemy submarines and destroyers get hammered by my tactical bombers if they don’t have any more important ground assist to do.
I’m looking forward to the naval-only scenario where losses will come for sure.

The AI will always have the disadvantage due lack of reconnaissance skill. If you pummel its recon units quickly, it will stumble like a drunk into ambushes and other plights.
Nevertheless, Nikkis AI assaults are always frightening when he sends an overwhelming force on your small defender groups. These "oh shit!" moments, when you still manage to turn the tides in your favor somehow, make the scenarios very exciting.
I'm currently at end of Battleaxe, and axed those overwhelming Tommy heads (or rather turban ones because they were mainly Indian).
Focusing on the enemy artillery is very important at beginning of defensive scenarios, otherwise your defenders wave the white flag faster than you can blink. Units in the rear to replace crippled units at the front line are also important if you can’t reinforce them due three adjacent enemy units.
Still a couple of scenarios to do until El Alamein, so I take my time... (hint: Nikki, mitigate the Allied steamroller, please! :P)
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

The attachment is an "updated" version of the campaign.pzdat file. From North Africa onwards, between-scenario-prestige has been upped by 50%. I also recommend to use a tweaked v1.21 gamerules file, with softcap = 0; all the other changes should remain as intended. This file will replace the v0.2 campaign.pzdat in a future update.
Attachments
campaign.rar
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
Horst

Post by Horst »

Typo in Bonus02: Congratulations Herr Hauptmann. A Marder IIIH joined your core.

However, you receive a Marder IIA there.
If you want to make it more authentic in North Africa then give a Marder III where the first six arrived in May 1942 but stayed at HQ. This is quite early because its production started in April 42. The other sixty arrived between July and November 1942.
No clue when the Marder IIA arrived in North Africa. Its production started in June 42. The Marder IIIH also supposedly came into action in Tunisia. If its production started in November 42, December would be the earliest, although more likely January then.
Vanilla has quite some availability mistakes, but you are not to blame.
Last edited by Horst on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timek28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by timek28 »

nikivdd wrote:The attachment is an "updated" version of the campaign.pzdat file. From North Africa onwards, between-scenario-prestige has been upped by 50%. I also recommend to use a tweaked v1.21 gamerules file, with softcap = 0; all the other changes should remain as intended. This file will replace the v0.2 campaign.pzdat in a future update.
Thanks for the prestige buffing :) You obviously heard our cries :) Hopefully this time out I will get a better chance at El Alamain 2... I sill believe the maxed out core is the only way to win there...
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Horst wrote:
No clue when the Marder IIA arrived in North Africa. Its production started in June 43.
I bet you wanted to write June 1942, am I right?

The Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two by Peter Chamberlain gives the following availabilty dates for the Marders:

Marder IID (the one with the captured Soviet 76 mm gun): 201 converted from April 1942 to June 1943
Marder II (the one named "Marder IIA" in PzC, supposedly with 7.5 cm PaK 40): 576 produced from June 1942 to June 1943, 75 converted from Pz.II from July 1943 to March 1944
Marder III (again with captured gun): 344 produced from April to Octorber 1942, 19 converted from Pz.38 in 1943
Marder IIIH (with 7,5 cm PaK 40): 242 produced from November 1942 to April 1943, 175 converted from Pz.38 in 1943
Marder IIIM (with 7,5 cm PaK 40): 975 produced between April 1943 and May 1944

Wikipedia gives the just about the same dates, so I think these should be correct.

Strangely enough, none of these dates correspond to the dates in the vanilla equipment file except for the Marder IIIM. I wonder how they came up with those dates then and what source material they used (maybe good old Panzer General e-file? :oops: ), if they used any at all...

Regarding its combat use, the above mentioned book claims that the "Sd Kfz 131 (Marder II) was issued to Panzerjager detachments from July 1942... serving on all major fronts." I suppose it also includes North Africa then.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
Horst

Post by Horst »

Mac, this Encyclopedia is indeed THE source of all German tank variants, but it also lacks sometimes more detail at the combat services. Oh yes, the June 1943 was a typo of course; already corrected.

I've already done quite some research of availability dates, also what units are available for the DAK, but still haven't looked around much yet for the Marders. Besides articles, mostly you find only photos of the Marder III. Doesn't matter for LoV now. In Nikkis e-file, he has allowed all Marders for any theatre anyway.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Holy Crusader!
I know you must bring down the number of tanks to 5 for a decisive victory in Crusader. Trouble is, the damn AI buys now one Crusader tank after the other and gather most at At Tamini where it forgot to capture an Italian airfield (only inf may capture flags in my game) and I can't reach them in time anymore. After recapturing Benghazi at turn 30, but not all flags around it yet, he just popped out two more Crusaders there.
Oh man, this way, I can forget about the DV. This map or any other where you need to destroy "a significant amount of units" badly needs the AI core slots set to 0, in particular in defensive scenarios where the AI could buy them in unreachable places.
What also sucks, not in this campaign but in general, that the newly bought AI units have the set defaul experience of the scenario (here 175 xp). Mine always start at 0 xp. Pretty unfair, but I guess that's the balance to my hero units.
Ceek
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Ceek »

You don't need to retake any objectives for Crusader. Just get your forces to the 'evac' zone and hammer the Allies. If you can get your guys back in working order you can smack 'em good when they come down the choke points just north of El Agheila. What I find difficult about the scenario is how powerful the assault is at the outset. There's really no point in hanging around and duking it out w/ them. Just high tail it out of there or their artillery will chew you to pieces. The other challenge is to make sure you're thinking several turns ahead w/ your planes and refueling. Planes 'red zones' for refueling can't be taken too literally if you're going to lose your nearest airfield the next turn. This makes covering your forces on the retreat all the more difficult, though... The other challenge is prestige. You get hammered by design AND you're getting baby-fed prestige. If you don't start the scenario w/ 1000-2000, you're going to be hating life when you try to resupply and 'hit back.' Finally, I hold back on a lot of my deployments and stagger them in the few zones offered near El Agheila. I put just enough on the front lines to cover my ass as I retreat. Pretty crazy scenario.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Winning is no problem, but getting the DV. I just wasn't up for the constant bombardment at beginning from half the Royal Navy that seem to guard Tobruk. That's why I moved the lower road back with more or less all my units and just let the AI conquer all cities the way around the peninsula. This way the whole bulk of tanks and hundred bren carriers got separated enough to easier defeat them one after the other later at Ajdabija, where my welcome party was waiting. The whole Royal Navy also got sent to the ground of the sea during the process.
I'm just a little mad now that the AI can still buy so many tanks after I destroyed more or less all the original ones that were assaulting. Oh well, I'm still trying to recapture as many flags as possible the last six turns to make up for the loss of 500 prestige I would get more with the DV. The campaign path of MV and DV is the same anyway there, so no big deal.
Ceek
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Ceek »

Oh, I see. Maybe I need to play it again because I didn't have a problem of having to chase down spawning tanks. Once I destroyed their advance at the aforementioned chokepoint, they were kaput.
Horst

Post by Horst »

I’m already used to Nikki’s exaggerated funny steamroller scenarios. I guess playing on General diff with the +50% prestige gain, the AI simply got too much prestige after grabbing all the many flags on this map, so it could still buy so many tanks in the end. This and my daring Italian infantry unit which stayed back near Tobruk to recapture the flags along the shore messed up my DV. At turn 30, my poor Italian unit got hammered by six Crusader tanks at At Tamini; too far away to reach for my units between Suluq and Benghazi.
Every AI turn took like ten minutes to watch, so I’m not going to repeat that scenario from an older save anymore.
timek28

Post by timek28 »

Horst wrote: Every AI turn took like ten minutes to watch, so I’m not going to repeat that scenario from an older save anymore.
You think that is slow? Wait until you see El Alamain 2... The problem there is that there is like 50 if not more allied tanks, and there are also vast minefields. AI tries to take them out buy attacking mines with everything it has. The result are abnormally long turns. I usually let the AI attack and go do something else instead of watching the attack. I tried the scenario 3-4 times, and the two attempts that I tried till the end lasted about 8 hours if not more :(

Also there is a big frustration if you don't succeed in that scenario and you spent like 15 hours on multiple tries, but it is just too damn hard... Right now I have I think much better core (all tanks at max OS and exp, as well as planes and artillery), although prestige is melting pretty fast in the desert (despite the 50% prestige increase Nikki introduced between the scenarios). I'm not sure what was the base prestige in-between scenarios anyways. My guess is range from 500 to 1000. Not more. So 50% increase would give 750 instead of 500, which is not a big difference. Nikki correct me if I am wrong.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Code: Select all

Sonneblume	SonneblumeA.pzbrf	Sonneblume.pzscn	ElAgheila	450	SonneblumeB_decisive.pzbrf	ElAgheila	300	SonneblumeC_marginal.pzbrf	ElAgheila	100	SonneblumeD_loss.pzbrf
ElAgheila	ElAgheilaA.pzbrf	ElAgheila.pzscn	Halfaya	450	ElAgheilaB_decisive.pzbrf	Halfaya	300	ElAgheilaC_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	ElAgheilaD_loss.pzbrf
ElAgheilaplus	ElAgheilaplusA.pzbrf	ElAgheilaplus.pzscn	Halfaya	100	ElAgheilaplusB_decisive.pzbrf	Halfaya	100	ElAgheilaplusC_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	ElAgheilaplusD_loss.pzbrf
Halfaya	HalfayaA.pzbrf	Halfaya.pzscn	Brevity2	600	HalfayaB_decisive.pzbrf	Skorpion	400	HalfayaC_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	HalfayaD_loss.pzbrf
Brevity2	Brevity2A.pzbrf	Brevity2.pzscn	Skorpion	450	Brevity2B_decisive.pzbrf	Skorpion	300	Brevity2C_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	Brevity2D_loss.pzbrf
Skorpion	SkorpionA.pzbrf	Skorpion.pzscn	Battleaxe2	450	SkorpionB_decisive.pzbrf	Battleaxe2	300	SkorpionC_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	SkorpionD_loss.pzbrf
Battleaxe2	Battleaxe2A.pzbrf	Battleaxe2.pzscn	Bonus02	750	Battleaxe2B_decisive.pzbrf	Bonus02	600	Battleaxe2C_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	Baltic41D_loss.pzbrf
Bonus02	Bonus02A.pzbrf	Bonus02.pzscn	Crusader2	1050	Bonus02B_decisive.pzbrf	Crusader2	750	Bonus02C_marginal.pzbrf	Crusader2	600	Bonus02D_loss.pzbrf
Crusader2	Crusader2A.pzbrf	Crusader2.pzscn	ElAgheila42	1600	Crusader2B_decisive.pzbrf	ElAgheila42	750	Crusader2C_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	Crusader2D_loss.pzbrf
ElAgheila42	ElAgheila42A.pzbrf	ElAgheila42.pzscn	Gazala2	1600	ElAgheila42B_decisive.pzbrf	Gazala2	750	ElAgheila42C_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	ElAgheila42D_loss.pzbrf
Gazala2	Gazala2A.pzbrf	Gazala2.pzscn	Tobruk2	1500	Gazala2B_decisive.pzbrf	Aida	1200	Gazala2C_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	Gazala2D_loss.pzbrf
Tobruk2	Tobruk2A.pzbrf	Tobruk2.pzscn	Aida	900	Tobruk2B_decisive.pzbrf	Aida	600	Tobruk2C_marginal.pzbrf	Aida	500	Tobruk2D_loss.pzbrf
Aida	AidaA.pzbrf	Aida.pzscn	ElAlamein1	750	AidaB_decisive.pzbrf	ElAlamein1	600	AidaC_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	AidaD_loss.pzbrf
ElAlamein1	ElAlamein1A.pzbrf	ElAlamein1.pzscn	Agree	1500	ElAlamein1B_decisive.pzbrf	Agree	1200	ElAlamein1C_marginal.pzbrf	Agree	500	ElAlamein1D_loss.pzbrf
Agree	AgreementA.pzbrf	Agreement.pzscn	Convoy	500	AgreementB_decisive.pzbrf	Convoy	400	AgreementC_marginal.pzbrf	END	0	AgreementD_loss.pzbrf
Convoy	ConvoyA.pzbrf	Convoy.pzscn	ElAlamein2	1500	ConvoyB_decisive.pzbrf	ElAlamein2	1200	ConvoyC_marginal.pzbrf	ElAlamein2	750	ConvoyD_loss.pzbrf
ElAlamein2	ElAlamein2A.pzbrf	ElAlamein2.pzscn	Egypt1	4800	ElAlamein2B_decisive.pzbrf	Mareth2	3300	ElAlamein2C_marginal.pzbrf	Mareth2	2700	ElAlamein2D_loss.pzbrf
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
Horst

Post by Horst »

I arrived in Tobruk now. El Agheila 42 and Gazala were nicely relaxing and quick to do again, but I guess that's normal if the AI is on defense and does hardly do anything. I don't have enough prestige available yet to upgrade more tanks to Pz.4F/2, but there are still a couple maps to do until things get really ugly with the Allied Grant/Sherman and Churchill tank forces, I guess.
What I don't like so much now is that every damn allied unit is overstrengthed, even higher than allowed according to experience. I would rather prefer a couple of units more to fight but less strengthen and less experienced. Considering I'm always annihilating every opposition in campaigns, I often wonder how all the fresh AI units continuously gain more and more experience as default, while my veterans hardly grow due frequent green replacements. :P
timek28

Post by timek28 »

Horst wrote: What I don't like so much now is that every damn allied unit is overstrengthed, even higher than allowed according to experience. I would rather prefer a couple of units more to fight but less strengthen and less experienced. Considering I'm always annihilating every opposition in campaigns, I often wonder how all the fresh AI units continuously gain more and more experience as default, while my veterans hardly grow due frequent green replacements. :P
Well this is the only way that AI can win. It just cannot outsmart the player (at least semi-good player), so large quantity and OS is the only way to go. On the other hand little prestige gained in Africa IMO is a good portrayal of logistical problems that AK had. You are basically given very little resources while enemy has plenty. And I think Nikki as well as original AK portrayed this very very well :)
Horst

Post by Horst »

During Tobruk, I received a new bomber variant with my e-file. After conquering Tobruk and starting Aida, I suddenly receive the older bomber variant again. I first thought what crap I have edited again. Normally, I phase out older, obsolete variants with new ones to prevent too much purchase screen spamming with obsolete units and variants.
The issue is that the days during Tobruk pass too fast for Aida afterwards.
timek28

Post by timek28 »

I arrived at El Alamein 2 again. This time much better prepared IMO. All units at max OS (all tanks 13 around 12 of them) with 4 Stug 3F/8 OS at 12. Also 5 fighers at 13 OS (4 Bf109 and 1 Fw190). 2 Stukas D, 2 Bf110G, 2 Ju 88, all at max OS. Bunch of infantry, artillery and AA guns. I'm laying waste to the invading British hordes, and as usual they are endless. But as Horst said one gets accommodated to steamrollers in Nikki's scenarios :)

I'm around turn 18 now and I believe I will soon have to mount a counterattack. What I believe I lacked in prior tryout is the AT guns (I had only 1 marder), and also all tanks at max OS (I had only 10 SP tanks). Also I think that in scenarios where enemy is heavily entrenched (like here), only Wurf40 or Nebelwerfer artillery can quickly root out those entrenched positions (combined with pioneers). Last time I experimented with weak 10.5 cm artillery that couldn't take out entrenched targets in several turns (despite it's large ammo). So I switched back to my favorite artillery and now I clear fortifications much more easily. Especially when I attack with 6-7 Wurf40 that I have.

I think I will be able to get a victory here now, although it is a tedious battle. Too bad for some reason script gave me 4 SE infantry and 1 SE bomber, instead of tanks which would be a bliss in these kinds of scenarios... I don't know is there any way to change (reform) SE units from one class to another? I turned reform units ON (as suggested), but I believe it only brings back the units that are lost during the game, but with no experience. It doesn't provide anything else am I right?
hs1611
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by hs1611 »

You can always use the "all eqp" cheat to buy the SE units you want. Then disband the ones you don't want and adjust your prestige with the "prestige" cheat accordingly.

Upgrading units from Infantry to Tanks, SE or otherwise, is not possible.
timek28

Post by timek28 »

hs1611 wrote:You can always use the "all eqp" cheat to buy the SE units you want. Then disband the ones you don't want and adjust your prestige with the "prestige" cheat accordingly.

Upgrading units from Infantry to Tanks, SE or otherwise, is not possible.
Thanks for this info. I might do that, although I like to try to play with the odds given. For now, I'm having a good shot at El Alamain 2, and I would pride myself for winning this without the cheats :)
David Hansen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by David Hansen »

I need help in logging into design mod project site/ forums.

I've registered previously and have successfully logged into the site on past occasions...and thereby having access to the many mod d/l.

Either my username is wrong and/or my password...b/c I can't gain access.

When I try to re-register the administrator says my email address is already on record, therfore I can't re-register.

How can I go about finding/re-setting my username and password to gain access to the mod D/Ls?

All combinations I can think of have been tried with no luck...and my email address has already be established so I can't re-register.

TXS

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”