Now let see the experiences, possible bugs in 1.8. Of course it is partly, because I played it till turn 50 and from turn 74.
- The new fuel problem brings a nice new challenge. While it makes things harder, it can managed with the planned navigating of Battleships (and
capturing the needed harbors).
- The possibility to take Archangelsk with the Finns from the west is easier, on the other hand, it sounds much more realistic.
- *Some Spoilers!* The enemy is much more active in many places: in the region of Archangelsk, SE of Moscow - this location gave me some little crisis already in mid 1942 as I did not built a strong defense belt, thinking it will be as passive as earlier. Also I faced a strong armored counter-attack east of Leningrad - luckily I had a few inf there, supported by a lonely 105mm battery, which was enough to hold them off. Also this time, the Rostov "bastion" was also attacked! This is random, mostly the AI do not touch a level 5-8 entrenched inf, or even better PzGren unit in a city, or forest (This is the cause, why the player need to capture Rostov and the rest of the defending line for the 1942/43 winter as soon as possible, to put inf defenders on the right places and let them time to entrech themselfes as deep as possible!). But this time, shockingly for me, it did and I had a really hard time to send an arty to protect the weakened defenders, while protecting the arty too.
- Since 1.7 I use really almost every armored units, even after 1941. Because of the short timeline (50 turn), I cannot switch the location of the power, I have to simulatiously fight well on all fronts! The Pz IIC's are still good for fighting soft targets and weakened light armor. The Pz 38(t)E's with their AD 10 are excellent inf killer, great light armor destroyer and they even have a chance hitting T-34's. Only the captured French armor, the Pz 35(t)'s and the UE tracked 37mm Pak unit are no more usable and can be sacrificed in the winter terror of 1942/43.
- I still not need to upgrade any 75mm AT to StuG. It is extreme lot of prestige, while the price/value is not such higher than the regular
working, mostly horse transported 75mm AT guns
- Weather is a critical factor in random 1-2-day-raining events, which brings lucky possibilities to the player - always a really nice aspect of the mod to adapt to all types of weather and weathered terrain and use of their benefits and keep attention to their negative effects.
- The circumstances in the Black Sea got also harder. Now it need more careful planning and adding supporting air force to make a successful landing in the western shores of the caucasus. Which is not always needed, but for the timerun in was very important.
- The Mediterranian theater got a big change. With the more Italian cruisers it got easier, because we have a lot more artillery. With careful use, upstreght and with heavy air support the Italian fleet is a war changing asset! The 25 fuel crisis makes the Battleships harder to use, but with smart management and capturing the needed harbors, they can be used still great! I was shocked with the 3-move tractor for the Italian 105mm arty, but actually it was enough with the rest of the obsolote Italian arty to use them till Alexandria and till Cairo and partly till the Middle East. The big change is that there are no more "free meals": no more ungarded airfields and because of guarding recon units, Cairo cannot be attacked by parachutes from southeast - we need to fight our way through Alexandria and capture at least the centre of Cairo for victory. I think it is also more realistic. On the other hand, Cyprus is no more needed to be captured. The shore region of the Middle East is about the same, only the geographics has changed. Here, the challenge is to use the thin resources smart. Plus defend the strong British counterattack, if they coming that way! :O
- The third pack of Italian units, which will be available after Torch is almost impossible to transport through the sea to Tunis - or maximum with heavy losses. But I found a solution for it: I transported earlier other AA units to the near of Tunis and I transported the later available Italian units to other theaters with train!
- England got definitely harder! With the rebuilding Radar stations and even more Bunkers, you have really a hard time to find a way to invade the Brits! On the other hand I was really happy that the annoying, moving M7 arty unit and the even more annoying, form the London bay area everything shooting heavy cruiser is gone from this version!
- Because of the absence of ungarded airfields and regions, it is now really a big challenge to use the parachutes and Brandenburgers effectively (if you play it realistic and do not make airdrops in bad weather and also calculate the fuel 60 limit for the planes). I found only one spot for them: I dropped them sothwest of Grozny to clear the way for my main force heading to the Middle East, while avoiding the Soviet oil fields (I did not have the time to capture them with them).
- With the LOS 3 of the Western Allied destroyers, naval warfare got also much harder and more challangeable! On the other hand, it makes the convoy war - without the support of Axis capital ships or airforce - already loosing in mid 1942. It was, even with "recon-reloads" a hell in @ss to even navigating a lonely u-boat to the 5 hex near to the convoy routes. And after the winter came, I tried to sneak on the convoy route, but my tiny sub got only chance to live for one turn even so.
- The new type of partisans are great! They are more realistic also with so. Partisan war in the Balkans got also harder, although not in the first 50 turn. Chetniks are nice asset.
- Having rare Axis units with lower strenght than 10 makes the game also harder. The captured T-34, which was a good unit earlier, now is a mediocre and need to be more protected.
- NOTE: on Rommel diff, penalties - bombing, partisans - are halfed! So if you are playing right, you have to add the additonal penalties with prestige cheat. (Or even better: avoid them!
Bugs, questions, suggestions:
- Normal dived subs should have the contact trait. It would be more realistic and they would have more chance against the LOS 3 destroyers (and everything else. Probably some balance tuning is needed for that.
- As I found out in the internet, there were a very few British Meteors existing over Europe. Even they did not make a fight with Germans. So, I would suggest to take them out and replace them with more experienced Tempests, or Tempests with heroes.
- RSO movers are still too expensive, no use to upgrade them. I would suggest 25 max 30 prestige price.
- With the traits now showed in the unit character sheet, the ROF numbers could be also created to be showed.
- In the Nile delta there are some confusing river/swamp hexes - it shows "Nile river" and also a river icon is there, but the terrains are swamps.
- Upgrade chart is nice, but exact date should be wrote there (or even the turn).
- At least the Allied forces in Tunis should be go to passive mode after the peace.
- "Tirpitz unsuccessful attack by manned torpedos" message should be cancelled, if major objective in England is captured.
- I did not got any message after I captured two more oil fields. It would be useful. I also do not know, if this effect also works, if I capture a Soviet and a British oil field (from an earlier reload I remember so, that it does not make the effect).
- Recon planes, but especially the Ju88D's need an additional recon symbol to their icons, because they can be really easily mistached with the rest of the Ju88's.
- It would be helpful, if the different inf units would have different names. Why? While transporting, it avoids confusion, when you see, what type of inf sits in the train.
- Units with hero values shall be also named in their names.
-> I always start the game renaming all the given units: PzGren (Mot, 6-Mot),(Tr), Pioniere, GebJäger, Brückenpioniere, Art (horse), (horse+), (Mot), (Tr), Security Inf, Reserve Inf. Heroes: +2A, +1D, +3I, +M, +S
- Why was a forest grown next to Voronezh east?
I just curious, it does not makes a big difference.
+++ Great new version, still a wonderful mod, congratulations and thanks for it!!