Rise of the Mongols - v0.4 beta released. (Nov 20, 2015)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

ducesettutamen
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Mongol Empire mod (WIP)

Post by ducesettutamen »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Interesting :D .

But, where did you find all this out? (So I have somewhere better than wiki and some video for research)

- BNC
Flexibility and Limitation in Steppe Formations: The Kerait Khanate and Chinggis Khan though I did modify them to fit within the limitations of the game. The real ranks are too long to fit within the text boxes for difficulty. For example...

The real titles.

Arban-u Darga

Jagutu-iin Darga

Chinggis Khan in his reformations copied Chinese military rank structure. Darga appears to be (there is no ancient Mongolian translator available) the Mongolian translation of the Chinese Duifu (Lieutenant) and Duizhu (Captain). They also command the same number of men in each army.

Minggan-u Noyan

Tumetu-iin Noyan

Noyan again appears to be the translation of the Chinese ranks for the same sized units. Jinzhou (Colonel) and Jiangjun (General).

Finally I took a leap in history (and European simplification) for the rank of Khan. When Chinggis led the empire the proper term for an Ordu commander would be Orlok. However no one without a background in Mongol military history would know that. So instead I jumped into the late 1300s when many of the upper echelon of the Mongol nobility used various derivations of the title Khan, which Europeans ignored the intricacies of and shortened to Khan (so there were dozens of different Khans according to Europe) as they had with previous Turkic nomads.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Thanks for the info!

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
BiteNibbleChomp

This mod is still happening (as we speak I am working on the first scenario).

Why none of you talking here? Do you want me to abandon it (I usually do if no-one talks for a long time)

- BNC
Halibutt
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Halibutt »

Don't worry, vacation time is over, which means people have less time for chatting. But I gather the interest in the first non-20th century mod is still there :) Keep up the good job mate.
Originally posted by Juu:
The Soviets won the war. We happened to be nearby.
ducesettutamen

Post by ducesettutamen »

Still interested myself.
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:This mod is still happening (as we speak I am working on the first scenario).

Why none of you talking here? Do you want me to abandon it (I usually do if no-one talks for a long time)

- BNC
Please don´t abandon it man. I bet most of the people is waiting for it release.
In my case I want to finish my mod as soon as possible so I can play your WWI and Mongol Empire projects.
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.95): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062
BiteNibbleChomp

Halibutt wrote:Don't worry, vacation time is over, which means people have less time for chatting. But I gather the interest in the first non-20th century mod is still there :) Keep up the good job mate.
But vacation used to be the whole reason no-one talked anyway. Man this is confusing! (Where's the emote involving a face bashing itself against a wall - I want to put that here!)
Akkula wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:This mod is still happening (as we speak I am working on the first scenario).

- BNC
Please don´t abandon it man. I bet most of the people is waiting for it release.
In my case I want to finish my mod as soon as possible so I can play your WWI and Mongol Empire projects.
I don't want to abandon it, but if no-one seems interested then that ends up happening.

Anyway, What I'll do is finish off the 4 'tutorial' scenarios (1200-1204), and release those. Then if I get a good amount of downloads (say 50+) then I'll finish the rest. Otherwise I'll probably leave it as is and someone else can finish it (or throw it if that ends up being preferred, but I imagine that won't happen).

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Also, I may have mentioned that you can't buy units in the campaign. Guess what? You can't heal them either except for normal replacements at the start of each scenario.

Can anyone guess how I will implement this? (setting 'nopurchase' and 'noreplace' won't work as those are added to strongpoints but in WotW I figured out that strongpoints in cities can still be healed!)

######################################
Also, does anyone have some good sounds + graphics I can use for the battles? I'll need things like a bow firing, spear being thrust, launching of a catapult etc.

- BNC
Halibutt

Post by Halibutt »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:######################################
Also, does anyone have some good sounds + graphics I can use for the battles? I'll need things like a bow firing, spear being thrust, launching of a catapult etc.

- BNC
Not sure about arrow animations, but sounds - there's plenty. Freesound, SoundBible, FreeSFX are just three of the top of my head (and of the top of the basic google search for "free sound clips" :D).
BiteNibbleChomp

Halibutt wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:######################################

- BNC
Not sure about arrow animations, but sounds - there's plenty. Freesound, SoundBible, FreeSFX are just three of the top of my head (and of the top of the basic google search for "free sound clips" :D).
:D It works. Now the mod is officially on the path to release!

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Battle between Mongol and Merkit forces, May 1200
Battle between Mongol and Merkit forces, May 1200
battle1200.JPG (173.46 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
- BNC
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

The mod looks quite interesting tho i wonder how the PG/PC typical stone - paper - scissors unit balance will work with less classes available in the time.

The screenshots looks quite good and all the icons seems to fit well together considering it's a total conversion. I know graphics are just eye candy but for me personally if it looks to bad i just can't get myself to play the game. This for example is what is putting me off the DMP mods. Not like their graphic is bad but i don't like their visual style somehow.

Now i just need to find some free time to catch up on my list of the game and mods i want to play. Bloody list is getting longer and longer and the time is getting less and less.
BiteNibbleChomp

This mod doesn't work as Rock-Paper-Scissors like every other PzC one. Instead you just get given stuff, and have to use it in a way that it won't die (eg. don't send your Korean rocket launchers to fight melee. Maybe send a Keshik in with its good spotting range, then get the launcher to hit it. Finsh off with the keshik's ranged attack).

The melee units are going to be set up to be quite powerful - skilled use of the recon-move that comes with cavalry will be the only way not to get your core ripped apart (and if that happens, game over. You can't buy a new one!)

Also, I agree with the stuff you wrote about DMP.

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Remember how I revealed this mod with a map and told you to guess what it was? (And somehow people worked it out in less than 24hrs). Well, I have another challenge for you geography experts:
unknown location.JPG
unknown location.JPG (69.8 KiB) Viewed 5741 times
And those two cities in the SW and NE corners aren't actual cities. I'm just putting them there as victory points in the scenario :twisted:

- BNC (Next scenarios coming soon!)
Halibutt

Post by Halibutt »

Mongolia NE of the Gobi Desert?
BiteNibbleChomp

Halibutt wrote:Mongolia NE of the Gobi Desert?
Dammit. How so quickly?

- BNC
Halibutt

Post by Halibutt »

The only place in the Old World I could think of with a desert border heading NE. All the deserts in Africa run along Eeast-West axis. And well, you know, it's the Mongol empire mod, right? :)
Cheers
BiteNibbleChomp

Halibutt wrote:The only place in the Old World I could think of with a desert border heading NE. All the deserts in Africa run along Eeast-West axis. And well, you know, it's the Mongol empire mod, right? :)
Cheers
Ahh, but who says that couldn't have been a recoloured version of some food? 8)

- BNC
KawaiiThai
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by KawaiiThai »

Halibutt wrote:The only place in the Old World I could think of with a desert border heading NE. All the deserts in Africa run along Eeast-West axis. And well, you know, it's the Mongol empire mod, right? :)
Cheers
smart observation. I have noh clue
Hai I am Mei Jintang aka KawaiiThai
I am Thai and I speak Thai and English but prefer thai.
If any of you speak thai please talk to me so we can have a conversation in thai.
Add me on steam: KawaiiThai

อนิเมะที่ดีที่สุด!
HalopepZ
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by HalopepZ »

KawaiiThai wrote:
Cheers
smart observation. I have noh clue
dude, seriously :? . halibutt proves a point and to think that this was incredibly hard to work out is either the work of satan or a blasphemus person.
Hi, I'm HalopepZ.
You can call me PepZ, Halopep, or HalopepZ.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”