Tinkering with mini-mods

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

cw58
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Tinkering with mini-mods

Post by cw58 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:04 pm

I was playing around with Puma's purchase mini-mod and decided to expand it a bit. I added every unit class to the purchase menu because ..... I don't know why. Just bored, I guess. I imagine someone will come up with a clever way to use it. Anyway, the air transports are particularly quirky. They use fuel as they move but not while idling in the sky. And they will only refuel on an airfield hex, not the adjacent hexes. I also added one to the number of nations available on the purchase screen, from 5 to 6. The only files involved are the purchase HTML and the little icons in the UI/purchase/classes folder.
purchase_screen.jpg
purchase_screen.jpg (96.11 KiB) Viewed 3014 times

cw58
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Tinkering with mini-mods

Post by cw58 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:12 pm

And here are the files needed. I think most of, if not all, the icons were made by Puma. I may have modified a few, can't really remember. If you decide to use this, make back-up copies of your original files before overwriting. And if you come up with novel ways to use this (such as cannon-fodder Opels), it would be nice to hear them. :)

Edit: I should mention that the screenshot was from a 22" monitor. This mini-mod probably won't work well on monitors less than that and definitely doesn't work well on laptops because of the smaller screen space.
Attachments
UI.zip
(50.06 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

wrm76
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by wrm76 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 am

Interesting ,thanks .The Ships are up-gradable ? I am searching for a way to make ships up-gradable .

guille1434
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Hello cw58!
Thanks for sharing! I am using Puma mini-mod and is really fun to be able to buy every unit class in the equipment. Also, I have a question and may be you can help me. I use a 32" monitor but I still cannot see all the unit categories in the mod (the last one, submarines, are not visible). I tried to edit the htm file, but I found that it is way beyond my skills and comprehension... May be you could release a "compact" version of the mini-mod with just the "classic" unit categories (without the transport types categories) best adapted to fit in a wider range of monitors? I attach a screen capture... May be making the icons a bit smaller, or even excluding the "Structures" catagory, which are, in my opinion the less useful for the player (and besides they can be modded making another unit to switch into a bunker).

I hope you can help me! 8)

PS: I am intrigued to see a "river boat" unit category... Which kind of units are these?
Attachments
2018-01-28 10_41_33-.png
2018-01-28 10_41_33-.png (84.9 KiB) Viewed 2965 times

Anduril
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Anduril » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:07 pm

guille1434 wrote:Hello cw58!

PS: I am intrigued to see a "river boat" unit category... Which kind of units are these?
For example, look at this side:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President ... _(monitor)
Sorry for my bad scoolenglish
https://www.designmodproject.de/

cw58
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cw58 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:06 pm

guille1434 wrote:Hello cw58!
Thanks for sharing! I am using Puma mini-mod and is really fun to be able to buy every unit class in the equipment. Also, I have a question and may be you can help me. I use a 32" monitor but I still cannot see all the unit categories in the mod (the last one, submarines, are not visible). I tried to edit the htm file, but I found that it is way beyond my skills and comprehension... May be you could release a "compact" version of the mini-mod with just the "classic" unit categories (without the transport types categories) best adapted to fit in a wider range of monitors? I attach a screen capture... May be making the icons a bit smaller, or even excluding the "Structures" catagory, which are, in my opinion the less useful for the player (and besides they can be modded making another unit to switch into a bunker).

I hope you can help me! 8)

Hi Guille,
It looks like you're using Puma's actual mod (which is what you said :)) and I'm using a modified version of that. It's been so long since I reworked it originally, I can't remember if I had to adjust the sizes of the icons or not. You might check and see what resolution you are running the game. I'm running 1920x1080.

Later today, I should have more time and I will post a screenshot of the part of the HTML file and show you which lines need to be removed to do what you asked. I'm no expert at HTML files either but this is fairly simple. It should allow anyone to customize the purchase list to their specific needs.

cw58
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cw58 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Found some extra time this morning after all.
Here's the section of the purchase file that needs to be modified. In this example, removing the highlighted section would remove structures from your purchase list. I recommend leaving no blank lines between after you've removed it. Not sure what would happen but it would probably break it :) So whatever you want off your list, just remove the 2 lines associated with it. I haven't tried it but the height of the entries can probably be modified with the "height:5px". I do know that has an effect on the FlagList directly above, which incidentally, is where you can modify the number of nations showing up in the purchase list. As always, make back-ups. :)
Attachments
purchase.jpg
purchase.jpg (619.63 KiB) Viewed 2942 times

cw58
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cw58 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:04 pm

wrm76 wrote:Interesting ,thanks .The Ships are up-gradable ? I am searching for a way to make ships up-gradable .
I think upgrading ships would be a function of the equipment file.
Hmm, just did a quick check and I could not upgrade a light cruiser to a battlecruiser. So I'm guessing that might be hard-coded because looking at the e-file, it should be possible. I'll do some testing but maybe someone else already knows the answer.

wrm76

Post by wrm76 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Is it not a function of equip.file , it is of Gui parameters . how to make-it work ? I don't know . I am making a mod and i am using a lot of ships , butt i cant upgrade a battle ship to another superior one , par example . If someone find a fix ,it will be very helpful .

cw58
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cw58 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:15 pm

wrm76 wrote:Is it not a function of equip.file , it is of Gui parameters . how to make-it work ? I don't know . I am making a mod and i am using a lot of ships , butt i cant upgrade a battle ship to another superior one , par example . If someone find a fix ,it will be very helpful .
I am not familiar with "Gui parameters". :oops: If you can tell me where to look, I would be glad to do so.

guille1434
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 am

Thanks cw58 for the tips! Finally I could "mod"the mod and make it work visually right in my monitor!!! I had to edit the purchase.htm file and also chang de dimensions of the unit classes icon buttons (made them 27x33 pixels instead of the original 33x33 pixels. I only had to make lower the AA class icon to make a good fit in the new "compact" button. Also, I had to tinker with the height measure and position of the little flag windows and the prestige and core units slots counters. I think it all looks rather good and functional. I tried to add the sixth flag window, and make the complete six window row a little less wide to achieve a better fit in the frame, but couldn't do that... :roll: Now I can purchase all combat unit classes (no transports), including structures (put that category in the last place of the list), and I am also able to use the "Show all Nations" check box. That's great, and it was possible thanks to you... thanks for taking the time! :D

I attach a screenshot...
Attachments
2018-01-28 20_58_53-.png
2018-01-28 20_58_53-.png (366.19 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
Last edited by guille1434 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

guille1434
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:13 am

Also, here is a .rar file with all the files I changed (and backups of the original game files and the ones from Puma's mod when this apply), in case someone has a similar problem likeI had, or just want to try the modified UI.

Cheers!
Attachments
Guille Purchase UI mod.rar
(94.2 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Last edited by guille1434 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cw58
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cw58 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 am

I'm glad that you were able to work it out, Guille. I will download your file and save it.

I am still curious about the difference in our displays. Your monitor is much bigger than mine (32">22") but still couldn't fit all the icons. The icons I'm using are 33x33 pixels and yet I can see all 20 classes with enough room at the bottom for at least one more. Anyway, you made it work and that's what counts :)

guille1434
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 am

Yes, I don´t know why, may be my monitor is a defective one... For example, I can't use it in full resolution 1920x1080 because part of windows desktop (or any other Window) looks cropped (I can barely see a part of the start button, for example). So I can best use it in 1600x900... Besides, when I start Panzer Corps the resolution is automatically changed to a lesser value (I can see that by making alt-tab and seeing other active windows while the game is executing... I spent a lot of time trying to figure why is this, but I learned to let it go... I'm thinking about buying a 40" screen...hehe!!

Again, thanks for your help and advice!

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:37 am

wrm76 wrote: If someone find a fix ,it will be very helpful .
I've used this in one of my half completed mods.

Create an upgrade scenario lasting three or four turns.
Mark up one or more hexes with a really obvious name eg Shipyard, Destroyer, Workshop.
Place deployment hex or hexes within one move of the special hexes, but not on the hex.
Create a script that performs a unit action on each of the marked hexes at the end of the last but one turn to change any unit into the planned upgrade (enter the unit ID number of the new unit).
You can add a prestige action to charge the player for the upgrade (eg Add -200 prestige will charge you 200 for the upgrade).
Adding a message can be useful when testing it.

For ships, it's probably best to set this on the sea rather than a port as otherwise you could end up converting a land unit into a battleship with it's very own truck transport.
For practicing, it's best to use one conversion site, but I've done several conversions at once and tried a choice of two or three workshops so you have a choice of where to send your unit - for example so you can upgrade an AT gun to an SP version or to a more powerful towed one.

This method can also be used to convert your artillery Stug 3B into an AT Stug 3F or your 38t into a Hetzer or a standard unit to an SE one.

Yrfin
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Yrfin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:03 pm

guille1434 wrote:I'm thinking about buying a 40" screen...hehe!!
Seriously ? For PzC ? You are real PzC Big Man :)

PS. Im was played with purchasable abilities in PzC (UI) (special Trucks/ defence Structures). So..
Its a fun but without global map/scenario design its looking useless :(
Shoot first. Ask questions later.

cw58
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cw58 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:35 am

captainjack wrote:
wrm76 wrote: If someone find a fix ,it will be very helpful .
For ships, it's probably best to set this on the sea rather than a port as otherwise you could end up converting a land unit into a battleship with it's very own truck transport.
That would be one heck of a truck! But that's a nice workaround, captainjack. It would be better if you could upgrade ships like the other units but you gotta work with what you have :)
Yrfin wrote:
guille1434 wrote:I'm thinking about buying a 40" screen...hehe!!
Seriously ? For PzC ? You are real PzC Big Man :)

PS. Im was played with purchasable abilities in PzC (UI) (special Trucks/ defence Structures). So..
Its a fun but without global map/scenario design its looking useless :(
But you never know when someone will come up with a very creative idea that will expand this grand old game. For example, your own work with the movement types. Some very interesting ideas you've put forth.

For me, that's half the fun of this game. Coming up with new ideas and then trying them out :)

Yrfin
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Yrfin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 am

cw58 wrote: For me, that's half the fun of this game. Coming up with new ideas and then trying them out :)
Don't get me wrong.
I salute to all people who make PzC more interesting with Modding/tweaking.
McGuba, Intenso, Guille, Puma, Nikivdd and so.
Id like Terminator idea about additional "Nations". (I don't have enough time to implement it :) )
And of coz idea about Extended Purchase are good.
Shoot first. Ask questions later.

guille1434
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Of course! PzCorps and X-Com are still "The Games" for me!! 8)

cw58
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cw58 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:28 am

I found a picture of an He 115 that was just about the right angle and decided to make an icon of it. It turned out decent so I thought I would post it here if anyone wants it.
He_115.png
He_115.png (29.91 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Last edited by cw58 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”