demo

PC : Conflict of Heroes - a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

gunhojr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

demo

Post by gunhojr »

just curious is there a demo out for this game ive check alot of places but couldnt find one.tried to watch a youtube but not the same as checking gameplay yourself.thanks
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: demo

Post by IainMcNeil »

No there is no demo at the moment and no current plans to make one.
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

This game simply doesn't need a demo.

Here is a link to the Matrix Games topic providing a link to a superb YouTube video demo in action though.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3117726

Two links worth of great explanation. And considering it is based on a board game no one can say anything negative about, and the PC adaption is being considerably well recieved, it comes down to you either can afford it or you can't. Inquiries about whether your computer can run it, well unless your PC is 5+ years old and best described as junk you should be able to run it. I think computer hardware tech has actually exceeded the potential of game designers for the time being. Take for instance D3. Son told me the game would run on garbage.

I have been pondering getting this (can't find anything else to spend money on models books whatever I already own too much hehe). I like the idea of it being a quasi Squad Leaderish level of game. I have come to believe, that squad tactical turn based wargaming is likely the pinnacle of wargaming. No ahistorical WTF elements that are a plague in divisional and higher wargame designs. No problems with AIs that can't fathom how to conduct naval invasions.

Don't agree with that assessment, I point to how Squad Leader, Panzer Blitz, Steel Panthers, Close Combat, Combat Mission are all the games we would claim are the most famous among us wargamers. Most games of grand strategy can only dream of the longevity of those titles.

I can only expect this title will not lose power to generate repeat sales for expansions. I know I have not hesitated to get all of Battle Academy for a second.

I figure I will own this game by the end of the day unless something weird comes up (life is good at that).
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

I'm about sick to death of East Front WWII but I bought it with hopes that enough sales will keep it going into other versions.

I'm more of an Army men in the back yard gamer than a cardboard chit and accountant gamer.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Saying the Eastern Front is over done is like saying water is wet :)

I likely wouldn't be even thinking of this as a possible purchase if not for the rave reviews and the board game origins. That, and it does look a little Squad Leaderish.

I never support games though just to keep the company under false illusions. I'd rather a good company face plant from a turkey and realise 'ok that design wasn't a winner'.

Going and doing Russia time and time again, it's no different than guys always picking the girl with the big hooters. There's no reason to presume bigguns translates into great performance hehe. By the same token, just being in Russia won't automatically ensure the game has a good enough setting.

For instance, you can represent Stalingrad just fine in either Ortona or Caen. Both fights featured heaps of ruins and nasty city fighting against hard core opposition.

It doesn't always need to be Normandy, Salerno was a heck of a fight.

It doesn't always need to be Market Garden, Crete was something else.

Doesn't always need to be Western Desert as Torch has plenty of fighting.
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

Since it doesn't have leaders I don't know why people keep referring to ASL and SL but I never played those so I wouldn't know anyway. If it was strictly a board game port I would have passed on it. It was the interesting (to me) way of handling turns and op-fire combined with 3D maps and units. It does feel somewhere between IGOUGO and WEGO. More like chess and less like checkers.

Did you ever play Steel Panthers with the op-fire confirm turned on?
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Not sure if I had (the Steel Panthers question).

As for similarities, it is mainly the scale of action and the over all 'feel' although the AP concept (which looks good by the way) does make a difference. But then SL/ASL also has a partially merged turn in that the players will be interacting with each other even on the opponents turn.
sbdb
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by sbdb »

DSWargamer wrote:This game simply doesn't need a demo.
That's just your opinion, just like I have the opinion that every game needs a demo, which doesn't take so much effort to make. Any developer that refuses to release a demo has in my opinion something to hide, because good games can boost their sales tremendously with a demo.

Having no demo is just as strange as refusing any potential customer in a book store to open a book and read its content.
DSWargamer wrote:Here is a link to the Matrix Games topic providing a link to a superb YouTube video demo in action though.
I would never buy a game based on a video, for the same reason that I would never buy software based on a video.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Making a good demo is a huge amount of work and many types of strategy games don't demo well so we only ask developers to create one if we think it is worth their time and effort. I think you're missing out on a lot of games if you only play games you can get a demo of but of course that is your choice! :)
romainpek
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by romainpek »

In fact, there is a demo now, which I plan to download ASAP. The link to it is REMINDED in the Slitherine January Newsletter, but the game webpage on Slitherine doesn't mention it.

If there is no demo, usually I don't buy a game. I'm happy to check soon how is the game.

Too bad it appears that the demo was released on December 20th 2012 already, together with a sale at 25% off valid only till January 14th.

I did not see this information before today...

Return to “Conflict of Heroes”