The game of steam

PC/Mac : Approachable and innovative WW2 strategy game on the east front played at the operationsal level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

The game of steam

Post by Igor1941 »

Hi, the key to the game is suitable for Purchased steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/21809 ... 4_4__104_1
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: The game of steam

Post by MrsWargamer »

My hat is off to the developers of Unity of Command. It's a brave move and a bold move but move you did and now you can say 'ok we did it, we put it on Steam'. Now it is up to the wargaming community to prove they made the right choice. Because lame sales WILL mean all the reluctance was based on credible evidence. And then the argument will be over decisively.

I still consider Steam a second place solution to a Matrix Games/Slitherine installer with no strings attached, and THIS wargamer would prefer to get the full price release here as opposed to the much cheaper Steam option. But, I might buy the Steam choice just to basically put up or shut up as it were. If we demand it on Steam and then we don't go and buy it when it IS there, then we need to be told to STFU as well.

Unity of Command as a game does not need me to state how good it is. The game is a self evident good design.
The challenge now is, is Steam really worth the hype?

Fellow wargamers, put your money where your mouth is.
gortwillsaveus
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by gortwillsaveus »

Love this game! Great idea, concept, sounds, graphics,....however,...

I have never liked Steam, refuse to use Steam,...and will avoid games that are sold only on Steam.
Good thing Unity of Command is sold through Slitherine.

Don't get me wrong,....I can understand the marketing reason for selling on Steam, and believe me,...if I developed a game,..I'd sell it there too,....
I'm just saying as a gamer, Steam is horrible in the way it handles,..well, just about everything.

I also agree fully with DSWargamer,...I'd rather pay a premium to have a no strings attached installer,..than purchase on Steam.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Money where mouth is, talk is cheap and etc and yadda yadda :)

Yes I COULD get the game via Steam, and it WOULD help the 'Steam is ok' cause, but ok gotta be honest, I would have bought it (like I just did) for 10 bucks here, instead of even just 1.99 (typical price for schlock DLC on Steam) if it was even that cheap on Steam, as Steam in the end is still Steam. If tomorrow I told Steam to piss off, I am outta luck for all my Steam purchases. If tomorrow I were to tell off the developer of Unity here on Slitherine's site, well I'd likely get told off back and might be risking my accounts reputation as well, but it wouldn't matter a damn to the functioning of my downloaded purchase from Slitherine.

And THAT people is the point when it comes to will I or will I not buy something in most cases. In most cases it is not the price, but, how does it get sent to me.
And I have seen the industry's way of doing things, and good luck finding a better method than what is the process for Matrix Games/Slitherine downloads. Better ie acceptable, not necessarily better in some technological considerations, but better in whether you please the customer or not.

Steam is not perfect. It has some annoying qualities, some not always obvious. I own Civilization V via Steam (which was the original reason I decided to bite the bullet and try them), and I have the expansion. And the problem is, you can't install just the base game as the Steam process means you either install it all or not. Which is annoying if you want to play just the base game.

The Matrix Games/Slitherine installer is a thinking man's way of installing a wargame, and we like to think of ourselves as being fairly clever, and thus it needs to be said, I think Steam is more a good means of marketing, and a good means of cash generation, but, it blows chunks when you consider 'what happens if you can't access Steam?'.
vicco
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by vicco »

I bought Unity of Command when it first came out from the developers directly. They were also kind enough to email to me the update 1.4a. If I were to purchase The Red Turn expansion from Slitherine, would that be compatible with my UoC v1.4a?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes it is the same version.
bkornele
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by bkornele »

Nice little deal on steam. The Unity of Command collection Base game, red, and black for $7.50. Last til April 13 2015
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39258/

Return to “Unity of Command”