New Titles Announced for 2012

This forum is for live coverage of the Slitherine/Matrix press event to be held on the 23rd-24th April 2012 in Stresa Italy.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

New Titles Announced for 2012

Post by ScottP » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Legends of War - More to come soon!
Pandora: First Contact - Q4 2012: A 4x strategy game
Sovereignty - Q3 2012: Region-based grand-campaign strategy game.
Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue - More to come soon!
Field of Glory: Unity Update - Will be free for original owners, Q3 2012
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog -Last Close Combat game using current engine, aiming for Q4 2012
Commander: The Great War - More to come tomorrow!
Panzer Corps: Afrika Corps - Q2012 - More to come soon! Q3 Panzer Corps will come to the Mac, Q4 will have Allied Pack
Battle Academy: Android version - Q4 2012
Conquest! for iOS/Android - May release, waiting for Apple approval, marketed as a lite wargame
Great Battles Medieval: iPad version - Coming Q2 2012
Field of Glory: Tablet versions - Q4 2012 after Unity update
Field of Glory digital book version - Coming soon! Beta version will be viewed by press
Panzer Corps on iPad - Q3 2012
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: New Titles Announced for 2012

Post by MrsWargamer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:21 pm

"Battle Academy: Android version - Q4 2012"

In as much as I already can run it on my tablet via the Splashtop software (included on a lot of Android tablets), I still need to actually have my host computer on.

Thus, unless I am at home, and willing to leave the source computer running, I pretty much need Battlefield Academy designed to sit on the actual tablet.

This is a no brainer purchase Ian, I will be buying it the second you have it on sale. Won't be asking for a reduction, won't be asking for a deal. But, I would be asking for a unified install option for people that fully plan to buy the base game and all the expansions (as I will be doing). I just want to be able to click 'install' and not need to go through the process of installing everything in sequence if it can be avoided. Not the end of the world if this is not practical though. Just an idea.

Oh and don't hold back on releasing Panzer Corps for Android either eh. Some of us actually don't like Apple products :)

Any chance of putting the Commander series on Android? Graphically I think it would be within the hardware's potential I think.

My goals of the year all revolve around things that allow me to get out of the home and walk off the waist. Anything that makes my Asus eeepad Transformer tablet more useful is doing me a favour :)

DotComCTO
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by DotComCTO » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:43 am

Can I just say that I'm loving the iOS support? I already love Battle Academy, and now I'm super psyched for Panzer Corps, Field of Glory and everything else headed to the iPad.

As an old war gamer, I can't thank you enough for the support (and you'll see the same on the TouchArcade forums)!

8)

--DotComCTO

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:17 pm

A few things missed off the list

* Conflict of heroes release is imminent
* World in Flames conversion of board game coming soon
* Lock and Loaad Heroes of Stalingrad board game conversion coming Q3

A couple of other things coming we didn't have time to cover
* Frank Hunters new game Piercing Fortress Europa coming some time before end of Q3
* Complete Carriers at War coming 2012, date TBD

MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 pm

iainmcneil wrote:A few things missed off the list

* Conflict of heroes release is imminent
* World in Flames conversion of board game coming soon
* Lock and Loaad Heroes of Stalingrad board game conversion coming Q3

A couple of other things coming we didn't have time to cover
* Frank Hunters new game Piercing Fortress Europa coming some time before end of Q3
* Complete Carriers at War coming 2012, date TBD
Hi Iain,

Great news: Conflict, World in flames and Carriers at War sound good to me :D Many thanks to all involved at Slitherine :D I will also have to keep an eye on Fortress Europa as the name sounds familiar.

MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:42 pm

I have the World in Flames board game actually. Darned thing is a room eating problem to set up. Even a 4x6 panel is not sufficient. I'd like to see that vapourware grade software finally arrive myself. Personally I'd have not mentioned it and just enjoyed springing it on us when done. It's been 'in progress' now longer than I think anything in wargaming and might have even outdone Duke Nukem for embarassing delay.

But that all said, it will almost certainly be well received when it arrives. I think the forum at Matrix Games for it has to be one of the most deadest of the lot.

I've seen the software as it was before it when private upon arriving at Matrix Games. It might be handy to have access to a means to play that on a computer instead of a large conference table. I fear the delays have all be surrounding the inevitable need to provide an AI opponent for stick in the mud wargamers that won't buy anything without an AI even if the AI no more capable than a drooling idiot. I come from the years when wargamers routinely played board games solo just for the intellectual challenge of the simulation. All I require of computer wargames is hot seat mode so I can treat it like a digital board game not requiring a dumb worthless AI.

ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 am

Courtesy of Mr. Erik Rutins who was kind enough to remind my exhausted self (with jet lag on the impending horizon here in Stockholm) that a new Distant Worlds expansion is coming Q3/Q4 of 2012 :)
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 am

I'm always glad to see a small publisher like Slitherine/Matrix having so much vitality.
I wish a big success to all the titles in this list. :D

morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Besides BA for Android...anything else new on the BA front, new campaigns, updates, etc?

Thanks.

IanB3406
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by IanB3406 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:47 am

After playing battlefield academy on the iPad, I can say that I am really excited about these releases. Way to go!

DJ88
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DJ88 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:14 am

Any info yet on "trade-up" to Mac versions for current Windoze licenses? I would like to get Mac versions moving forward for games that have are pending. And switch to Mac version for small fee for my existing games.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu May 03, 2012 8:55 am

This is already in place for most of the games. Which one are you looking for? Note some of the older games (CEAW & CNAW) are not able to do this as they were developed by 3rd parties and we don't have the code.

DJ88
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DJ88 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:29 am

Excellent...I would like to upgrade to Mac (already purchased the Windows versions) for Panzer Corps including some of the DLC's '39 - '43 & Close Combat re-releases Last Stand Arnhem, The Longest Day, Cross of Iron. Not sure what all code was acquired for Close Combat. Might be just coincidence but CC2 was the only Mac version released & was by far the best selling game in the series.

Slitherine is breathing new life into Close Combat, hope that some how you figure out how to fix the A.I. gameplay & vehicle pathing issues that had been plauging some of the more recent CC re-releases. Probably a good market to fix these prior attempts for re-releases as a new $5 update and introduce Mac version.

Mod compatibility might be an issue for new Mac projects. Not sure if maybe there was some sort of universal plug-in for Mods that supports Mac OS or Windows. Really are some amazing Mods for Panzer Corps. And I know the Close Combat forums will be buzzing to make new Mods for the pending new projects.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri May 04, 2012 11:19 am

There are no Mac versions of any of those games unfortunately. There will only be a Mac version of games built in the Unity version of Close combat, not the existing games or Panthers in the FoG.

Panzer Corps is coming Q3.

DJ88
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DJ88 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:43 am

Yes wishful thinking I know for those old Close Combat re-releases. The code I'm sure is way too old to update and port to Mac OS. I'll be happy to at least have Panzers Corps for Mac in Q3 if I can trade-up from Windows. Also definitely plan on buying Allied Pack, preferably for Mac - hope to see some Pacific theater campaigns especially Midway.

Unity? That I assume must be next generation Close Combat with new engine in 2013. Glad that will be available for Mac. Can you tell us more about the pending plan for Unity?

Slitherine has a great business plan. I'd love to see some more rewrites of classics such as Harpoon, Avalon HIll board games converted to computer, new generation Dungeon & Dragons games, etc. Why re-invent the wheel when there are so many classics that can be rewritten or digitized.

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Sat May 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Dylan wrote:I'd love to see some more rewrites of classics such as Harpoon, Avalon HIll board games converted to computer, new generation Dungeon & Dragons games, etc. Why re-invent the wheel when there are so many classics that can be rewritten or digitized.
Yes, I too sometimes think like you. But on the other hand most of the developers are creative people, and they do feel the need to create new things.
But definitely I would like to see a re-breathing of some of the old titles and of some of the old game concepts.

MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan » Mon May 07, 2012 10:29 am

Dylan wrote: Slitherine has a great business plan. I'd love to see some more rewrites of classics such as Harpoon, Avalon HIll board games converted to computer, new generation Dungeon & Dragons games, etc. Why re-invent the wheel when there are so many classics that can be rewritten or digitized.
I agreed, there are some great classics such as Ambush and it's add on modules plus other great tittles from Victory Games.

MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer » Mon May 07, 2012 1:18 pm

It all comes down to rights, and as Avalon Hill is just a brand name owned by Hasborg, and as Hasborg would be likely to be an even less thrilling experience as was the recent 'fun' with the pricks of EA, I don't really expect to EVER see Slitherine release any manner of game that is a derivative of an old AH title regardless of how many would love to get it.

I don't think the experience would look any better than a gang bang.

And sadly there are so many titles that would likely be brain dead easy to put on something like a tablet too. And regardless of being on a tablet, well anyone trying to tell me Afrika Korps or Russian Campaign wasn't a real wargame or a serious wargame, well this bird is for you :)

God I would just die to see Advanced Third Reich on a computer or other device. WITH NO F**KING AI either. Seriously, I don't want to play A3R against a moron. If I want to beat up something as challenging as a 6 year old, I might as well take it to my son's old grade school. For people with no opponent, suck it up sunshine. You have no opponent. Play the game against yourself like we real wargamers have done since the 60s.

I am looking forward to seeing what sort of mangled bloody mess that they have created for an AI for World in Flames. Oh it's going to be a real treat a total hoot I am sure. No offense to those working on it, but if I can't play it solo hot seat mode it won't be worth squat as a program to me. They have been wasting their collective time programming the AI all so some people unwilling to find a human opponent for ftf can play it and then bitch about the lacking AI on forums. Oh they are going to bitch about the AI on forums too. I'll bet both nuts it will happen, and neither of them are in any danger.

All I really ever want out of computerized wargames, is the pleasure of not needing to care about 'where do I store this thing between playings?'. Because it is NOT about the need to scroll a page, it is about the fact I don't need to wonder how much it will cost to rent a small warehouse to set up my wargames. I don't care if I need to scroll about to see a wargame's map. I mean shit, have you ever set up Fire in the East? It's not even the whole of Russia, and it is just Russia not all of the Europa campaign. Fully set up, it will eat a 4 car garage!!! You CAN'T see the whole map in one glance, you can also barely reach the middle of the map from any side. And when was the last time you checked out setting up a table that big? More than one sheet of plywood, were talking something like 50 bucks a sheet, plus the needed 2x4 for supports.

Yeah I won't mind needing to 'scroll about' to view the map.

Ever actually seen a common game of Advanced Squad Leader under way? Half the hundreds of counters are just informational counters. One bump of the table is a total disaster. And then there is the family cat. Not to be forgotten but there is also kids, and the open window and the wife that likely wants that room for something more responsible, like your family.

Yes I want to see Slitherine go hog wild on releasing titles for more than just the computer. Because not all real wargames need that much muscle. Graphically speaking, most of my wargame stash would not even task my Nintendo DS. I know, I have Commander Europe at War for it. It runs just fine. Pity it isn't an Android release (YET HINT HINT HINT). Because a 10 inch screen is sooooo much more fun on these old eyes than even my DSi XL screen (which is bigger than the 3DS which is why I don't care how well it is doing, I don't want to go back to the small screen size).

Currently there is quite the war raging here in my home. One camp is all for going all digital and selling the board games (which logic says I will likely never have space for again). One camp is all about turfing the fakers and going back to the real deal (board games and just making the damned space become available by stealing it from my model railroad hobby). The only reason I have not let the board game lobby win so far, is the cat (since I moved here we have gotten a cat). No point setting up The Longest Day and all of it's 5'x5.5' goodness just to have it buggered up by the cat.

The sooner Slitherine delivers real honest to goodness wargames and stops listening to whiny I need an AI complainers (who will never like your AI either) and makes them available for ALL the devices at our disposal simply as it makes sense, the sooner Slitherine can be synonomous with being a current and modern equal to all that Avalon Hill once was to wargaming. Because once upon a time, saying wargame company usually meant AH.

I know you likely will never be able to actually release the actual original games from AH, but that's really not important. You just need to copy them, as after all, it's all history eh. The battles were fought, the forces present really existed, and there is no need to balk about getting the historical record identical to any other previous product.

I want a wargame to actually look like a wargame. I don't want it to look like an arcade game. Leave the arcade games for pricks like EA that couldn't care less about history or credible accuracy. All they want to do is shovel out games where you mindlessly shoot the crap out of things in 3d in real time. It was always fun to do that in the arcades. But when I went home to my wargames, I expected them to look like wargames. And don't get too fixated on the term 'game' either. Life is a game. If you are not simulating what ifs from famous moments in time in a tangible historically relevant fashion, all you will have is an arcade game. Fine of course, if you want arcade games.

But you DID term the phrase Home of Wargamers. I am a wargamer, and I expect wargames.

Brenmusik
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Brenmusik » Mon May 07, 2012 5:36 pm

I second that emotion.

Return to “Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2012 - The Home of Wargamers”