Finally, It Arrives

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

kgostanek
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Finally, It Arrives

Post by kgostanek » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 am

I have spent many hours looking for a game like Pandora (or what I understand it to be). I may have applied for access to the beta too late, however, and so have not been selected yet.
I grew up playing SimEarth, SimLife, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - a game unchallenged in its conception. Here's how I imagine it:

Mankind enters an alien wilderness and starts anew. The relationships or non-relationships we have with the alien life, coupled with new hardships, would make us strive again. Political ideology, religious beliefs would divide us, whereas ethnicity divided us on Earth. Economic realities would cause conflict. A whole new human drama begins.
I cannot tell for certain if the game will be as imaginative as SMAC, but it probably could be.

Plopped into an alien biosphere, the stark otherness of what lives there might trouble us. DNA might not be the hereditary molecule of aliens. Earth Life would be a tremendously valuable commodity. Wars might be fought over dogs and houseplants. If we found some alien species that was intellectually bright but technologically primitive, what would we do with them? We might sponsor them with wisdom. We might exploit them for something. We might ignore them until they just become vermin. So many ideas could be brought to the game.

But let me apply again to be a beta tester. I happen to dual boot Windows 8 and Debian Linux, if that helps my candidacy.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Re: Finally, It Arrives

Post by SephiRok » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:32 pm

The greatness of fiction!
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

kgostanek

Re: Finally, It Arrives

Post by kgostanek » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:17 pm

If the game has an option to share my score on Facebook, I'll feel like Ripley when she realizes the alien got into the escape ship with her.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”