What's next?

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am
Contact:

Re: What's next?

Post by SephiRok » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Hm, we could tie the functionality to a national building -- i.e. the mechanic is locked until you research and build the building.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by jdmillard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:20 pm

SephiRok wrote:Hm, we could tie the functionality to a national building -- i.e. the mechanic is locked until you research and build the building.
I quite like that idea.

Evrett
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by Evrett » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:25 pm

SephiRok wrote:
Another good one would probably be about suggestions to make the aliens more diverse. We want to give every species something unique (functionally a device), we just need to figure out something interesting and simple enough for each. Just like Galeths for example do more damage to cities, we want to give everyone something cool and special.
I think you would be much better served making the player-factions more diverse. The natives (humans are the aliens) I assume are not designed to last the entire game while the player faction are. More bang for your buck and as I've said before the current faction differentiations only interest statisticians. They have no soul.

fortydayweekend
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by fortydayweekend » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:58 pm

SephiRok wrote:Another good one would probably be about suggestions to make the aliens more diverse. We want to give every species something unique (functionally a device), we just need to figure out something interesting and simple enough for each. Just like Galeths for example do more damage to cities, we want to give everyone something cool and special.
How about some strength 4 aliens to help them out? Especially for hive defence - currently the Xeno Queen is often the most powerful defender and so the first to die, which seems weird. Also it's pretty easy to capture a devourer (sacrificing one hellfire trooper) and then take out every hive... or just wait for tanks. They could use better defence, at least as the game progresses. Maybe nearby devourers and galeths could come to the hive's aid..

I guess if I were the aliens I'd want strong units with a defence bonus to protect the Queen. Then some shock troops with attack bonus. And a strong defensive unit who could escort a couple of spitters in a stack.

In terms of unique stuff
- Camouflaged units that only appear when attacking (or being attacked)?
- A fire-resistant alien (it'd make the player's life trickier, can't just spam hellfire troops)
- Aliens dropping from the sky (like orbital deployment) or coming up out of the ground is another standard alien tactic.
- the equivalent of the pheropod, a device that lets aliens zombify humans into joining their side

Teodosio
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by Teodosio » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Evrett wrote:I think you would be much better served making the player-factions more diverse. The natives (humans are the aliens) I assume are not designed to last the entire game while the player faction are. More bang for your buck and as I've said before the current faction differentiations only interest statisticians. They have no soul.
A good way to make factions diverse it to give slightly different gameplay mechanics to each of them. Not just bonuses, unique buildings or units.

One game that really accomplished this in a great way (IMHO) is 'Fall from Heaven', that is actually a mod for Civilization 4. Each faction in that game really felt unique. I hope the people form Proxy Studios have played it, so many good ideas.

Raja
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:45 am

Re: What's next?

Post by Raja » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:15 am

SephiRok wrote:The new near-term gameplay things we're currently considering are a marketplace, per-city taxes and turning all advancements from immediate gains into one-time buildable projects.
Let me preface this first post by expressing my gratitude for the amazing game you've built - it's one of the best turn-based strategy games ever designed in my humble opinion. Talk about "one more turn till the sun rises"..

Having said that, and having played a few games with different settings now, I think the couple things that would enhance the game-play most are a few unique unit classes for each faction to start with, and special fixed tiles worth visiting again over time - "visitable operations" if you will.

Regarding your post above, I think the best way to implement the functionality of a marketplace is just to extend the gifting and tribute features of diplomacy to include food, minerals, and potentially cities; and add a neutral option to make a proposal for an instant trade. However I feel that giving each city it's own tax slider would just increase micromanagement (something this game dodges wonderfully) and remove a fun little balancing mini-game.


Thanks again.

adamsolo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:20 am

Re: What's next?

Post by adamsolo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:15 am

Raja wrote:
SephiRok wrote:The new near-term gameplay things we're currently considering are a marketplace, per-city taxes and turning all advancements from immediate gains into one-time buildable projects.
However I feel that giving each city it's own tax slider would just increase micromanagement (something this game dodges wonderfully) and remove a fun little balancing mini-game.
I agree with Raja. I don't feel the need to set taxes by city. I also think it would increase micromanagement needlessly.
SephiRok wrote:turning all advancements from immediate gains into one-time buildable projects
You mean turn all the instant advancements (e.g. -25% alien aggression) into buildable projects? I think advancements (immediate gains with no need to do anything else) are good as they are. \Edit: Gave it a bit more of thought. So, the idea would be to have secret projects for each advancement ala SMAC? It's just that the insta-tech advancement thing also works ok. Perhaps some advancements could require a special buildable project while others do not. Just a thought.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am
Contact:

Re: What's next?

Post by SephiRok » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Would love some feedback on the state in the beta. There's per-city taxes and a preliminary implementation of the market.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by jdmillard » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:01 pm

SephiRok wrote:There's per-city taxes and a preliminary implementation of the market.
I just now saw this. I'll take a look in the next few days.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am
Contact:

Re: What's next?

Post by SephiRok » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Tomorrow I'm focusing on production reordering and research queuing. Release version will be updated towards the end of the week.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

Raja
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:45 am

Re: What's next?

Post by Raja » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:24 pm

SephiRok wrote:Tomorrow I'm focusing on production reordering and research queuing. Release version will be updated towards the end of the week.
Nice - Happy Thanksgiving!

jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by jdmillard » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:55 pm

SephiRok wrote:Tomorrow I'm focusing on production reordering and research queuing. Release version will be updated towards the end of the week.
Will this allow you to finish more than one tech in the same turn if you have enough research points?

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am
Contact:

Re: What's next?

Post by SephiRok » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:17 pm

For now only 1 tech per turn.

Production reordering is done, working on the research queue now.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am
Contact:

Re: What's next?

Post by SephiRok » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Queuing distant research was more complicated, but I finished it today, so it should be in the next version.

What did you guys think of the AI pillaging improvements in the latest version? Was it too annoying? Should only human factions do it?
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

Monaldinio
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by Monaldinio » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:48 pm

I pillaging improvements is part of every 4x Game...i like it because every human player do that in mp! Its normal...you penetrate the economy of your enemy :twisted:
So why should the ai dont do that?!?!

Tchey
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:12 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: What's next?

Post by Tchey » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Pillaging is fine, however maybe it's too fast. I think it's one turn right now, yes ? Maybe two turns is better, so player has a little more time to react. So if player interupts IA before the end of turn two, then the hex is not pillaged.

jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by jdmillard » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Tchey wrote:Pillaging is fine, however maybe it's too fast. I think it's one turn right now, yes ? Maybe two turns is better, so player has a little more time to react. So if player interupts IA before the end of turn two, then the hex is not pillaged.
I agree wholeheartedly.

boulugre
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by boulugre » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:47 am

SephiRok wrote: What did you guys think of the AI pillaging improvements in the latest version? Was it too annoying? Should only human factions do it?
I like the change, it gives aliens more nuisance power and give to the AI a mean to force player out of his city defense if he don't want to see his economy ruined.

I noticed however that AI will immediately start pillaging improvement of a city he just lost, before even trying taking it back. This seems a little bit unrealistic. By the way they also don't hesitate wiping a lost city with nukes and black holes, got Solar dynasty destroying his 30 pop capital the following turn I captured it...

jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: What's next?

Post by jdmillard » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:38 pm

boulugre wrote:
SephiRok wrote: What did you guys think of the AI pillaging improvements in the latest version? Was it too annoying? Should only human factions do it?
I like the change, it gives aliens more nuisance power and give to the AI a mean to force player out of his city defense if he don't want to see his economy ruined.

I noticed however that AI will immediately start pillaging improvement of a city he just lost, before even trying taking it back. This seems a little bit unrealistic. By the way they also don't hesitate wiping a lost city with nukes and black holes, got Solar dynasty destroying his 30 pop capital the following turn I captured it...
I agree. But just for the sake of historical discussion, it is somewhat believable because it's been done before. Scorched Earth. Scorched earth was destroying the land before it was captured, but the concept is similar.

BlueTemplar
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:54 am

Re: What's next?

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Gameplay >>> Realism

Post Reply

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”