Pooled resources and population jobs

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

CladInShadows
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Pooled resources and population jobs

Post by CladInShadows » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:07 am

I've been watching the "Let's Try" video by quill18 and just wanted to say that I really love this mechanic. I always found it strange that games like civ treated each city as needing to be self-sustaining, when in reality any civilization will have regions that are for example net producers and exporters of raw materials but do not do any actual manufacturing, while other areas will receive these resources and act as production centers. The same with food being grown in some regions/countries and then being transported to others rather than every city relying on it's own immediate terrain.

Haven't bought the game yet as I am waiting for a Steam release.. but this has made me very excited, and I wanted to say good job to the devs for coming up with something quite intuitive!

I did have one question - is it possible to trade these resources? So if I for example has found myself in an area with a lot of high yielding mining resources, could I build up an economy based entirely on focusing on mining these and exporting to other civs (i.e. real world Australia)? Or alternatively could I trade these resources for food which I may have less access to in my surroundings?

Cheers

fortydayweekend
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Pooled resources and population jobs

Post by fortydayweekend » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:58 am

CladInShadows wrote:I did have one question - is it possible to trade these resources? So if I for example has found myself in an area with a lot of high yielding mining resources, could I build up an economy based entirely on focusing on mining these and exporting to other civs (i.e. real world Australia)? Or alternatively could I trade these resources for food which I may have less access to in my surroundings?

Cheers
Not yet, but I think it's on the cards for an update.

The pooled resources feels a bit like Colonization, only with invisible, automated wagon trains. The natives are a little less friendly though.

In terms of trading with other factions I kinda like the way it is now, where you have to plan ahead to make sure you'll have enough minerals/food coming in for the next few years, and how a shortage will encourage expansion/invasion. I hope that it's quite expensive to buy other factions' resources so that it's really just for emergencies.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”