Eclipse of Nashira

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

mjv96
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Eclipse of Nashira

Post by mjv96 »

So I've been playing the EoN DLC and I'm left wondering, is there really only 1 Eclipse of Nashira? I loved the event when it took place but it seems like I'll never, ever see it again. Is it really just a one time event or do I have to wait 1000 turns or so?

Also, is it possible to increase the alien regeneration rates so that there are more of them around even if no more nests exist? By the time the Messari have come and gone, there are no more aliens anywhere (save those few taken as a result of the Xenomorph Pheropod). It's only by my actions that I managed to "save" 6 Xenomorph Queens, 3 spitters, and O'le One Eye (Kraken) from extinction. What would be nice is if aliens were still present and could still create a nest or 4 to pester the new colonists in the end. At least the sea critters should still be around, cuz come late game, it's usually just the player and 2 or 3 angry, spiteful AI opponents who are all just sitting around waiting for the bombs to drop.
Xilmi
Pandora Community Developer

Re: Eclipse of Nashira

Post by Xilmi »

mjv96 wrote:So I've been playing the EoN DLC and I'm left wondering, is there really only 1 Eclipse of Nashira? I loved the event when it took place but it seems like I'll never, ever see it again. Is it really just a one time event or do I have to wait 1000 turns or so?
There is only one eclipse. When it happens and for how long it goes on is defined in "Eclipse.xml" and could be altered in the same file.
An eclipse happens when a large object blocks off the sunlight from reaching the planet. This actually is really rare in reality too.

A way to see it again would be to start a new game. ;)
mjv96 wrote: Also, is it possible to increase the alien regeneration rates so that there are more of them around even if no more nests exist? By the time the Messari have come and gone, there are no more aliens anywhere (save those few taken as a result of the Xenomorph Pheropod).
Well, modding clearly allows some things. You could reduce the cost of the aliens in order to increase their spawn rate.
However, I've heared it so often that players would like aliens to be more of an omni-present-threat throughout the whole game, that I could consider making a special game-mode, where they become stronger as time goes on. As a fun mode it doesn't even have to be balanced so this could be done with relatively little effort.
mjv96 wrote:cuz come late game, it's usually just the player and 2 or 3 angry, spiteful AI opponents who are all just sitting around waiting for the bombs to drop.
Not sure what you refer to when talking about AI-opponents just sitting around. Since my main-focus so far was on, well, not have them just sit around.
Just to make sure we are talking about the same AI-opponents: Are you using the 1.5.5+ Beta-patches or are you still on 1.5.4?
mjv96

Post by mjv96 »

Xilmi wrote:There is only one eclipse. When it happens and for how long it goes on is defined in "Eclipse.xml" and could be altered in the same file.
An eclipse happens when a large object blocks off the sunlight from reaching the planet. This actually is really rare in reality too.

A way to see it again would be to start a new game. ;)
Eclipse's aren't that rare. A total eclipse occurs somewhere on the earth every 18 months (http://www.space.com/15584-solar-eclipses.html), so it would be nice for this event to reoccur a few times in the game (dependent upon game speed)
Xilmi wrote:Well, modding clearly allows some things. You could reduce the cost of the aliens in order to increase their spawn rate.
However, I've heard it so often that players would like aliens to be more of an omni-present-threat throughout the whole game, that I could consider making a special game-mode, where they become stronger as time goes on. As a fun mode it doesn't even have to be balanced so this could be done with relatively little effort.
That would be nice though I think the AI wouldn't be able to handle massive numbers of aliens, making them stronger though, especially later in the game would be good.
Xilmi wrote:Not sure what you refer to when talking about AI-opponents just sitting around. Since my main-focus so far was on, well, not have them just sit around.
Just to make sure we are talking about the same AI-opponents: Are you using the 1.5.5+ Beta-patches or are you still on 1.5.4?
I was on 1.5.4 - just updated to 1.5.5 by joining the public beta. I'll let you know if I encounter more of the "sitzkrieg" that I was experiencing earlier on.
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

mjv96 wrote: That would be nice though I think the AI wouldn't be able to handle massive numbers of aliens, making them stronger though, especially later in the game would be good.
One thing that makes it tough for the AI to handle the aliens is that they have to move at the same time and thus sometimes cannot save their formers even with precautious-measures.
That's the thing I'm trying to somehow resolve next. I want to have the "Natives" move after the others, so AI can save their formers just like a human player.
But I think you also underestimate them a little.
You can use the observer-mode (start a game with advanced settings and select spectator) to watch the AI play. In 1.5.5 they aren't that bad in handling the aliens.
mjv96 wrote:I was on 1.5.4 - just updated to 1.5.5 by joining the public beta. I'll let you know if I encounter more of the "sitzkrieg" that I was experiencing earlier on.
Any feedback is much appreciated. Afterall that's how I spent most of my free-time for the last 1 1/2 month. So it's supposed to show some results. ^^

I'd like to claim the current 1.5.5-AI to be significantly better than 1.5.4 and before.
mjv96

Post by mjv96 »

So I started a new game with 1.5.5 and noticed a change in the AI once the Messari arrived. Not only did they beat the snot outta the Messari but they then proceeded to beat each other within an inch of life. They pretty much all ignored me as a punching bag but were all to happy to have me as an ally. I'm playing on a medium alien rage / medium AI level game. It was sad that the Messari didn't so much as take out a single city (at that stage I was allied with at least 2 or 3 AI at the same time and kept dropping satellite scans), even though I counted no less than 3 motherships. I never once saw any other Messari units and I monitored the portal sites the entire time. I've not bothered to try a harder level yet as I like a fair fight (for my skill level) so maybe this changes?
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

What was the level of the alien-aggression?

I ran most tests on Easy difficulty with "Very High" Alien aggression.
With these settings the AI usually handles the Messari pretty well. They are very aggessive about killing the messari. Maybe even a little too aggressive, as they will sacrifice units against messari-units like they should only do when they are about to capture a city.

You being ignored by their war efforts means that you don't look like an easy target.
You being liked by the others means that they don't fear that you might win.

A few more details could also be interesting. Who's at war with whom? Who's your allies? Do you have Screenshots?
mjv96

Post by mjv96 »

Alien aggression was set to medium as was the AI level. I was rather disappointed that I didn't get to see more Messari units as only 5 of those portal spawned. They were probably all taken out within 8 turns of appearing and the motherships were all gone within 11. Kinda pathetic as far as a planetary invasion goes.

Actually I am probably an easier target as the bulk of my forces are the tier 3 infantry units sitting pretty in cities and 1 stack of 6 tier 3 flamers, 2 artillery (tier 2 tanks with tier 3 weapons / armor), 2 flak units (tier 2 tanks with tier 3 weapons / armor), 2 tier 3 mechs, 1 ship (tier 3 IIRC), 2 Kraken's that I saved before they were wiped out, 3 xenomorph queens, and 1 Galeth. Probably about 20 or so aqua formers. So not really much of a threat to the world. I don't have black hole generators yet and the AI is tossing theirs around like crazy.

I can give you a saved game file if you like.
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

Yes, savegame would be great! :)

You should really bump up alien-aggressiveness to maximum to get the real feeling.
Anything less doesn't give you that survival-mode-feeling early on.

This, of course, also slows down AI a lot. Cities are easy to defend with the first defense-building but losing tile-improvements over and over sets you back again and again.
Terra Salvum maybe has a huge advantage there. Not only are they attacked much later but forests can't be pillaged.

I'm not a huge fan of the messari-invasion. Would have been cooler, if they were zerg-like-aliens from below earth that spawn from nydus-wyrms instead of protoss-like-aliens that spawn from portals. I feel they don't fit well atmospherically.
mjv96

Post by mjv96 »

It looks like I can't attach it due to the max size allowed being 256Kb. Do you have an email address I can mail the .rar file to?
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

You should have a PM.
mjv96

Post by mjv96 »

Is there a way to increase the spawn rate of Messari units so that I actually get to see them? it's not the first time I've had a game where they arrive only to be slapped right back into that moon sized portal that they came from.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

Two things have influence on the invasion strength: Troop strength on the planet and alien aggression. So you can:

1. Build more units.
2. Set a higher alien aggression.
3. Use more AIs (with new modded factions up to 8 ) with higher difficulty so they build more troops.
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

Zak0r wrote:3. Use more AIs (with new modded factions up to 8 ) with higher difficulty so they build more troops.
I think that suggestion is counter-productive.

The more factions there are, the lesser free space for the Messari-portals to spawn.

The closer they have to spawn to the players, the more quickly they will be dealt with, the lower the amount of time you have the chance to take a glimpse at them.

Playing a huge map with less factions and maxed out alien-aggression will give you the most Encounters with the Messari.
mjv96

Post by mjv96 »

Well the portals have a purpose, so I am guessing they may count as cities. Perhaps the Messari have to "build" their units and if so, making them cheaper should help. As they are a part of the game now, I'm hoping something can be done to make them more of a threat as opposed to a minor inconvenience.

I do enjoy playing on massive maps, even bigger than the default map sizes, so I usually have the max amount of factions available to contend with. Normally, by the time the Messari have come and gone, 2 or 3 of those factions are also gone.

Have you had time to look at that saved game file I sent you Xilmi and if so, was it helpful in any way?
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

Blackarchon probably will upload a new version of his mod today on http://blubb.najut.org/pandora/
Watch out for a 2.1 Beta 5.
The purpose of this new upgrade is to make aliens more dangerous. So it'll probably help with that.
Gonna look at your save right now. I'll report back after. ^^
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

This is your destiny:

I used the chat-command "/aiControlled 1" and let the AI take over your empire and just watched what happened. You where about conquering the Divine Ascension when Noxium was ready conquering The Ambassadors and Terra Salvum and thus needed a new victim.

It seems like you don't know how to reallocate your population and how to change your tax-rate.
You should really play around with those.
You had way too much food, minerals and credits stockpiled. The AI spent the minerals and cash quickly but your 16k food-stockpile lasted for the rest of the game.
mjv96

Post by mjv96 »

Damn...heh heh oh well.

Actually I do know how to reallocate my population and most of the time, they end up being miners for a lack of minerals mid-game. I do sell some stocks on the open market but as the price fluctuates so much when you sell in bulks slots of 100 that I don't sell much at all. I do try and stock pile minerals for that very reason and I do save money so I can mass-retrofit units as needed. I don't change the tax-rate much at all though as the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion.
mjv96

Post by mjv96 »

oh, one thing I've noticed is that the AI can build up city population at a crazy fast rate. They had cities in the middle of arctic areas that were 3 times as great as what I had in my capitol city. I can't figure out how they do that. Which brings me to my next point, why on earth don't these landing craft have windows that one can look out of? I can't tell you how many times I've had a city set up in the absolute worst possible place, tundra or snowy terrain. Seriously? these would be the last place newly arrived colonists would want to land at.
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

mjv96 wrote:oh, one thing I've noticed is that the AI can build up city population at a crazy fast rate. They had cities in the middle of arctic areas that were 3 times as great as what I had in my capitol city. I can't figure out how they do that.
By having fewer cities than you.
Pop-growth is global and distributed among all cities of an empire.

If you have 10 cities and they have 3, their 3 cities will be much bigger.

The advantage of fewer cities is: You have to build less buildings.
The advantage of more cities is: You have to build less suburbs.

Finding the right balance ain't exactly easy. But many new players realize: "Oh, there's no artificial mechanism to punish rapid expansion, so let's colonize like crazy!"

The indirect "punishment" is that each of these new cities needs to invest a ton of resourced to make its population effective with the buildings.
mjv96

Post by mjv96 »

Nice! I wasn't aware that population growth was equally distributed out to cities, I was just aware that all cities contributed their food production so that 1 city would starve due to it's location.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”