Illustrious Potential!

Sovereignty is a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC. It combines a kingdom management campaign game with a general's level tactical battle game.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Vissavald
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Illustrious Potential!

Post by Vissavald »

As soon as I saw that one of developers is Illustrious Software (guys behind this little elegant diamond "Conquest!"), I made a stand like a bloodhound.

From what I could see from videos and previews, the potential of Sovereignty is really illustrious! :)

So a couple of questions, if you don't mind:

1) Could you lift the veil a little, what kind of content-adding do you plan (if any): races, spells, RPG elements, structures whether on strategic or tactical map or both, random maps or something else? As for now the game is little...ehm, pricey, so it would be nice to look a few turns ahead :wink:.
2) When the game should leave Steam Early Access? I'm a confirmed Steam-disguster, and I would better wait for a "regular" release.

Thanks in advance.
Breca
Gothic Labs
Gothic Labs

Re: Illustrious Potential!

Post by Breca »

This is in no way a complete list, but we can give you a high level look at plans for Early Access.

OpenGL
This is the big code base overhaul that is currently under way. This will be the first major update. The aim is for a cleaner code base with better performance overall. While this is underway, we are dropping in smaller updates along the way.

Bug Fixes and Polish
Some of this is already being addressed during the OpenGL conversion, but we have a number of bugs, polish and communication issues that still need to get ironed out. This isn't so much the "next step" but an ongoing improvements initiative.

AI
Improvements to the AI are a big next big leap. This applies to all facets of the AI: Campaign, Naval, Tactical Battles and even Auto-battles.

Balancing Systems
Magic and Landmarks are slated to get a boost. They both tend to be a bit underpowered at the moment. The naval game will get some big attention. We want naval powers to project their strategic dominance, and to make the naval game as a whole more satisfying.

Fun New Stuff
We've been combing the forums for player ideas and suggestions. We're going keep a lid on this section at the moment, but we have a great list of player ideas. People may not realize how carefully we read your posts, but we read each and every post, and there have been some great ideas and observations coming out of them. If YOU have an idea, or a wish for the game, EA is definitely the prime time to make it be heard...

Good Hunting!

Breca
Vissavald

Post by Vissavald »

Thanks for a reply.

As I said earlier, I did not, don't and will never use Steam-based stuff, so my wishes can be heard ONLY after the game leaves Early Access :) . It's why I asked about the estimated date of this leaving. I'd grab this game immediately IF there was a standalone edition without annoying Steam DRM.
Last edited by Vissavald on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jekky
Illustrious Software
Illustrious Software

Post by Jekky »

Hi Vissavald, thanks for the compliment - I'm glad that you enjoy our work :)

We expect to be in early access for around 1 year. Once early access is done, the game will also be available as a standalone download without requiring steam (not to say that updates will stop at that point, but by then we expect that it will more practical to maintain more than one version of the game, as patches will be less frequent)
Vissavald

Post by Vissavald »

ONE YEAR? Holy Mother of Gods... But why so long? Can't you get all the necessary feedback, wishes, reports and such via Slitherine and Lordz forum? And keeping selling the game via Steam? Does it mean that Sovereignty will stay in rather "unfinished" state a year more?
Jekky
Illustrious Software
Illustrious Software

Post by Jekky »

We're a small team, so things take time unfortunately - the game will be changing over the course of the year of course, by the end it will be much more refined than it is at present. As far as non-steam versions are concerned, there is administrative overhead in maintaining multiple versions of the game, which would take time away from developing and improving features.
Vissavald

Post by Vissavald »

Jekky wrote:As far as non-steam versions are concerned, there is administrative overhead in maintaining multiple versions of the game, which would take time away from developing and improving features.
It sounds just like you regret that non-Steam very options even exist... :lol:
Jekky
Illustrious Software
Illustrious Software

Post by Jekky »

Not at all - it's in our interests to sell the game on as many platforms as possible to reach the widest possible audience. We're simply starting with steam, and once the game in in a place where we feel happy with it, we will expand to other platforms so far as possible.
Vissavald

Post by Vissavald »

A person on Matrix forums expressed this issue like that:

Note to Matrix: I think it’s a real disservice to force your loyal customers to put up with a service they hate like Steam just to access the early release. The game should be available to run in non-Steam mode as well.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.as ... 1&#3865096

I think both sides have reasons, but being on players' side I tend to agree with that person.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

The problem is we would have to maintain and update two platforms and as we are a very small team, that would be precious time lost we otherwise could invest into game improvement and development.

On another note Steam is by far the easiest platform we ever encountered to update and deliver updates/patches to customers and in case it goes wrong they can simply recover to an older version...

For Early Access it was and is the smartest thing to do.... once we are past that we will try to get the game on as many platforms as possible as a final product, but we know how much extra work that will take to deliver and maintain, so for the best of the EA development process, Steam is ideal for us.
Vissavald

Post by Vissavald »

Well, anyway you provide Steam with .exe and all other necessary files, and they wrap it in their installer with DRM-dung and so on, right? So what stops you from placing the same files on Slitherine servers at the same time? What kind of additional work and time can it take? I really can't understand, sorry...

Ah, anyway, I see that we can't change anything here. It's just a pity that this Steam-only policy deters people (including me) from buying your game right now (and judging by the number of similar complainting forum posts, these people may be quite numerous).
Jekky
Illustrious Software
Illustrious Software

Post by Jekky »

Actually, a steam version requires us to make changes to the game code before it gets uploaded to steam, so it's not the same as a non-steam version - we would have to maintain 2 distinct sets of code.
Vissavald

Post by Vissavald »

Jekky wrote:Actually, a steam version requires us to make changes to the game code before it gets uploaded to steam, so it's not the same as a non-steam version - we would have to maintain 2 distinct sets of code.
Oh, then sorry for my ignorance! :? We, players, may be too impatient nowadays, just having forgot that the really good game is decent to be waited for just a bit longer than an average game :)
kongxinga
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by kongxinga »

If I buy it at Slitherine, am I forced to use steam? I am another that will not buy games if they are steam only.
Jekky
Illustrious Software
Illustrious Software

Post by Jekky »

If you purchase it from Slitherine during the early access period, you will receive a steam key, so yes you would need steam.

Once early access ends, you will be able to get a digital download from Slitherine which will not require steam (we'll make plenty of noise about it when the game leaves early access, so there should be no danger of you missing it ;) )
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

I will never understand the hatred that some folks have towards Steam. As lordzimoa mentioned, Steam is a breeze to use, is very elegant, and has a ton of great features. Who cares about DRM, sheesh!

If you like the game and you want the game, buy the dang game and enjoy it. Steam does not harm anything.

I'm sure you will never change your mind, but it just baffles me that people have this problem with an excellent game delivery system. Do you watch TV? Maybe not, but if you do, you probably have a cable company providing your TV channels to you, and you can't watch your TV without being connected to that cable provider.

Anyway, it's a shame, because most every game is on Steam now, and it's going to be harder and harder to play a game without it.

Onwards!
-=Jeff
dimzki
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by dimzki »

Balancing Systems
Magic and Landmarks are slated to get a boost. They both tend to be a bit underpowered at the moment. The naval game will get some big attention. We want naval powers to project their strategic dominance, and to make the naval game as a whole more satisfying.
how about giving the fleet the ability to blockade the adjacent port of the enemies ? in my current playthrough, as Hadrigel, im the number 1 great power, but i constantly have to put 5 infantry just to guard the coast from Jotland invastion, although i rule the waves (yeah, Ariselle didnt do much to keep the end of the agreement to rule the waves, so i had to), i own all the sea section with my Man-o-War, Frigate, and Sloop but they can still coming to the sea and launch invastion with puny army...

Fun New Stuff
We've been combing the forums for player ideas and suggestions. We're going keep a lid on this section at the moment, but we have a great list of player ideas. People may not realize how carefully we read your posts, but we read each and every post, and there have been some great ideas and observations coming out of them. If YOU have an idea, or a wish for the game, EA is definitely the prime time to make it be heard...
1. I'd like there to be a detailed ledger that show economy, trade, diplomacy, etc (like in Europa Universalis 4, especially with Meiou and Taxes MOD, if you haven't play it, i recommend you try it)
2. I'd like more complex diplomatic relation, not just a few modifier. For example, if an enemy declared war on me, obviously the nations with defensive pact and alliance will have to help or they will suffer diplomatic relations with other nations except the one that attack me for breaking the oath/ seen as coward. (again, EU4 reference would be good).
3. MORE nations and MORE provinces. The current game have a really small map, with big provinces.. i'd like if there are more provinces so that we can draw a nice border of our nation if that big old chunky province is not fit to our image of our nation's border.
4. Ok, so im a big fan of EU4 and MEIOU & Taxes MOD, but i dont like the inability of that game to control the army in the battle (kinda boring watching your army fight in your way). This one will be big, and i have little expectation that it'll be taken seriously: I'd like the game mechanic to use real time gameplay (with pause) not turn based. Real time gameplay offer much elements in unpredicted moves, allowing you to be ever vigilant of your surroundings as time passes by, while turn base gameplay is a bit annoying when you have to wait for the other nations to make their turn. *my personal opinion, please dont go into ragemode :lol:
5. The ability to upgrade a unit, maybe customise them (say, standard equipment for your infantry, or your cavalry).
6. The ability to RESEARCH new technology, whether it's for better equipment, better economic income, better diplomatic relations, or unique ability (dwarf should've the ability to dig tunnels! :lol: allowing them to reach the other end of the mountaints)
7. Events! the game need to have more events, say, natural disasters, incoming deathlord, the rise of new nations, rebels take up arms and formed a rogue nation, etc etc..
8. Fort is too easy to avoid, there should be walls surrounding the battle map so that we are forced to take down the fort if we want to take the provinces, currently, i dont really care if a province have a fort or not, as i would cleverly take down all the units while avoiding the fort..
9. Vassalage, Annexation of a vassal nation, tributary agreement, etc etc. Say, i dont wish to take Ravengard, but i dont like the idea of leaving an independent nation at my border, so as Hadrigel, i'd be great if i could defeat them in battles and force them into a tributary states or vassalage...

i have more ideas, but let these 9 be for now
cheers~

dimzki.

Return to “Sovereignty”