PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

CEaW Grand Strategy Expansion Player's Manual

Post by rkr1958 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:25 pm

http://web.me.com/amcdonel/CEaW-GS/Welcome.html

Book Boss for all this is Alec MacDonell.

We're posting a link to a working draft of our user's manual, player's guide and more for the general community to see. All of this is still a work in progress but I think captures most of the changes made by our mod. I think you'll see the tremendous number of changes that we've made.

We encourage the community in general to read and provide questions or comments. Again ... remember this is still a draft with a number of sections still to be written.

We also want to use this thread to capture those comments and questions for the development and testing teams.
Last edited by rkr1958 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuchynka
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by kuchynka » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Manual is great

Suggestion:

Limited ship attack against ground hexes same as limited air attack.

Reinforcing units only out contact with enemy.

ncali
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by ncali » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi guys - great job with the mod update and draft manual. Very professional! I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:49 pm

Manual looks cool. Do you want comments for little things like typos and wordos and such?

ncali

Post by ncali » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:17 am

By the way, I noticed the new Italian surrender conditions. I assume the 3 Italian cities are starting cities. Do they include North Africa? I'm guessing they do - and Allied control of North Africa + (Sicily or Sardinia) = surrender. Am I right?

pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:45 am

Hi,

The short answer is no. The allied player does not have to capture North Africa or Sardina to force a surrender by capturing 3 cities from this list you can force a surrender.
List of cities- Genoa, Milan, Venice, Florence, Taranto, Naples, Messina, Palermo, Turin, Ancona.

pk867

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:15 am

Blathergut wrote:Manual looks cool. Do you want comments for little things like typos and wordos and such?
Absolutely!

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by amcdonel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:16 am

Certainly - please feel free to provide corrections and edits. It is still in draft -- so please be gentle :-)

alec

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by amcdonel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:18 am

A new graphic showing the Italian cities that meet the criteria has just been added to the manual. I will be posting v20 of the manual in a bit...

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:31 am

ncali wrote:By the way, I noticed the new Italian surrender conditions. I assume the 3 Italian cities are starting cities. Do they include North Africa? I'm guessing they do - and Allied control of North Africa + (Sicily or Sardinia) = surrender. Am I right?
Any three of these cities will force an Italian surrender. North Africa isn't included. These cities are located on mainland Italy + Sicily.

ITALIAN_CITIES_NEEDED 3 /* Number of Italian cities needed to capture to enforce surrender */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_0 5511 /* Genoa */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_1 5580 /* Milan */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_2 5868 /* Venice */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_3 5728 /* Florence */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_4 6383 /* Taranto */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_5 6022 /* Naples */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_6 6028 /* Messina */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_7 5813 /* Palermo */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_8 5365 /* Turin */
SURRENDER_CITY_HEX_ITALY_9 6017 /* Ancona */

Oh! I see both Paul and Alec have already answered this one. I need to read further down before responding. :oops:

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:16 am

kuchynka wrote:Manual is great
Thanks. Alec is doing a fantastic job pulling it together. It's amazing how professional it looks ... isn't it. He's a wizard!

kuchynka wrote:Suggestion:

Limited ship attack against ground hexes same as limited air attack.
Air attacks are limited to two per hex. I really don't see that limiting naval attacks against ground hexes to two per hex would make that much difference. I can't remember the last time I attacked a ground unit with more than two naval units.
kuchynka wrote:Reinforcing units only out contact with enemy.
This would be an issue for units in forts and cities. I believe this would make it too easy to capture fort hexes like the Gustov line or Leningrad or critical cites, such as Paris, Rome or Moscow.

trulster
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:34 am

Are you able to mod the joining of minor countries based upon territorial conquest?

If so a possibility would be to have Turkey join the Axis if Axis control the Soviet hexes on the Turkish border, modelling that Germany have the Russians on the ropes and Turkey would want a piece of the pie. Also gives Russia a even bigger incentive to defend the Caucasus mountains.

Another thing, if Axis control Turkey, then the Africa supply rules should not be in effect, at least when Cairo is Axis controlled.

pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi,

Minor countries will join the opposing major power when a DoW on the minor has been declared.
As for Turkey joining Germany, that is a political event which probably would not have happened.

In the example you gave, Turkey may want to join the allies instead of being swallowed up by Germany.
Turkey may have been leaning toward the Axis, but they stayed neutral throughout the war.
Of course if Germany Dow'ed on Turkey, supply would be able to be traced through Istanbul.
The Malta supply rules are always in effect. The amount of supply is controlled through the number of ports
controlled, Gibraltar , Malta, and the British Naval presence.
We changed the map to simulate the coast road. The Desert and Dune were moved closer to the coast. Also the supply level in North Africa Clear = 3, Desert & Desert hills = 2, and Dune = 1. So you are limited in your capabilities since you can only repair up to your supply limit. We also did this with other terrain types on the board. The charts explain the maximum supply level by type of terrain. So you maybe able to rail into a supply level 3 hex adjacent to a city,
(eg: Clear in N.Africa, Mountain elsewhere) but you will not be able to rail out of because you at least need level 4 or higher to rail out of.

You are going to have to reconsider your strategies to accomplish your goals in the game.

Regards,

pk867

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

New version (v21) of CEaW-GS Player Manual Posted

Post by amcdonel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:54 am

Team,

I just posted an updated copy of the manual. It is still numbered v21, but have 2 new pieces of information: (1) picture of Italian cities that qualify to create Italian surrender, and (2) a new amphibious transport and invasion limit.

Thanks for reviewing it and your comments!!

alec

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: CEaW Grand Strategy Ver 1.00 Draft Player Guide, Aids &a

Post by amcdonel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:00 pm

rkr1958 wrote:http://web.me.com/amcdonel/CEaW-GS/Welcome.html

We're posting a link to a working draft of our user's manual, player's guide and more for the general community to see. All of this is still a work in progress but I think captures most of the changes made by our mod. I think you'll see the tremendous number of changes that we've made.

We encourage the community in general to read and provide questions or comments. Again ... remember this is still a draft with a number of sections still to be written.

We also want to use this thread to capture those comments and questions for the development and testing teams.
How can you help us? Please post URL to in-depth or interesting historical accounts of WW II battles and strategies. These should be somewhat special and very interesting to CEaW-GS players (What I am trying to say is NOT to pass on general info links on WW II history - make them good to support CEaW-GS manual play). I can embed them as links in this manual, thus, making it a richer and more specific aid to the new and experienced player.

Thanks in advance!!

alec

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:15 pm

amcdonel wrote:

How can you help us? Please post URL to in-depth or interesting historical accounts of WW II battles and strategies. These should be somewhat special and very interesting to CEaW-GS players (What I am trying to say is NOT to pass on general info links on WW II history - make them good to support CEaW-GS manual play). I can embed them as links in this manual, thus, making it a richer and more specific aid to the new and experienced player.

Thanks in advance!!

alec
Alec,

I assume you've already mined this thread for gems but I'll post the link for completeness anyway. viewtopic.php?t=6958

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:35 pm

rkr1958 wrote:
amcdonel wrote:

Thanks in advance!!

alec
Alec,

I assume you've already mined this thread for gems but I'll post the link for completeness anyway. viewtopic.php?t=6958
Alec, Here are four of my favorites from that thread.

Eisenhower's Report on Operation Torch

BBC - Siege of Malta

BBC - The Norway Campaign in World War Two

BBC - The Battle of the Atlantic by Dr Gary Sheffield

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by amcdonel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:02 am

rkr1958 wrote:
rkr1958 wrote:
amcdonel wrote: How can you help us? Please post URL to in-depth or interesting historical accounts of WW II battles and strategies. These should be somewhat special and very interesting to CEaW-GS players (What I am trying to say is NOT to pass on general info links on WW II history - make them good to support CEaW-GS manual play). I can embed them as links in this manual, thus, making it a richer and more specific aid to the new and experienced player.

Thanks in advance!!

alec
Alec,

Alec, Here are four of my favorites from that thread.

Eisenhower's Report on Operation Torch

BBC - Siege of Malta

BBC - The Norway Campaign in World War Two

BBC - The Battle of the Atlantic by Dr Gary Sheffield
Great!! I have added then you the manual and posted v21d to the website!!

alec

ncali

Post by ncali » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:00 am

How do the later free generals (1941-1943) work? I am guessing they are only "free" if you start a later scenario and they do not appear as reinforements for the 1939 scenario. Am I right?

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:59 am

ncali wrote:How do the later free generals (1941-1943) work? I am guessing they are only "free" if you start a later scenario and they do not appear as reinforements for the 1939 scenario. Am I right?
That is true. You will not get free generals after turn 1 of your scenario. The reason you get more generals in e. g. the 1943 scenario is that players build units between the 1939 and the start of the scenario. Builds AFTER you start your scenarios will entirely be up to you. You don't get anything for free.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”