Unit Limits Question

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Unit Limits Question

Post by joerock22 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Hello, I have a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to in the GS manual. When does the extra oil cost kick in when you purchase a unit over the yearly limit for that unit type, when the unit is purchased or when it is placed? In other words, if you purchase a 10th tank in October 1942 and place it in January 1943, will you have to pay the extra oil costs in the last few turns of 1942?

My instincts say no, but I would like to be sure.

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Unit Limits Question

Post by rkr1958 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:39 pm

joerock22 wrote:Hello, I have a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to in the GS manual. When does the extra oil cost kick in when you purchase a unit over the yearly limit for that unit type, when the unit is purchased or when it is placed? In other words, if you purchase a 10th tank in October 1942 and place it in January 1943, will you have to pay the extra oil costs in the last few turns of 1942?

My instincts say no, but I would like to be sure.
Joe, great question! The extra oil cost kicks in when the unit is purchased. I didn't know the answer either and found out via hotseat.

joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:50 pm

rkr1958 wrote:Joe, great question! The extra oil cost kicks in when the unit is purchased. I didn't know the answer either and found out via hotseat.
Thanks for the quick response. So I guess I have to wait until January to purchase all of those fancy new units in our game. :)

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:03 pm

joerock22 wrote:
rkr1958 wrote:Joe, great question! The extra oil cost kicks in when the unit is purchased. I didn't know the answer either and found out via hotseat.
Thanks for the quick response. So I guess I have to wait until January to purchase all of those fancy new units in our game. :)
Just to be on the safe side I'd recommend waiting until January 1945, or better yet, don't even risk it. :D

My top military intel analysts tell me they suspect, "all of those fancy new units" are fighters. By the way, why did I have to get mud in Central Europe in October '42 with me positioned to land in Sicily?! My air crews on Sardinia aren't very happy about this! :D

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by amcdonel » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:22 pm

rkr1958 wrote:
joerock22 wrote:
Just to be on the safe side I'd recommend waiting until January 1945, or better yet, don't even risk it. :D

My top military intel analysts tell me they suspect, "all of those fancy new units" are fighters. By the way, why did I have to get mud in Central Europe in October '42 with me positioned to land in Sicily?! My air crews on Sardinia aren't very happy about this! :D
Guys,

Working to ensure the GS 2.1 manual is up to date...

The Over-build penalty:
* affects only the new units that pushed over the limit? Or do all units of that type are now affected by increased oil penalty?
* The oil penalty is removed when? When the over-built condition is removed? That is, usually at the start of a new calendar year as the build limit is increased?

Thanks!

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:53 pm

amcdonel wrote:Guys,

Working to ensure the GS 2.1 manual is up to date...

The Over-build penalty:
* affects only the new units that pushed over the limit? Or do all units of that type are now affected by increased oil penalty?
The latter. All units of that type are impacted; even if the units that push it over the limit are still in the build queue. For example, prior to exceeding the limit you can move a unit (e.g., tac bomber) on the map with the usual oil cost. You can then build a number of new TACs (in this example) that put you over the limit and if you move a second TAC on the map (in the same turn) you'll have to pay the higher oil cost.

amcdonel wrote:* The oil penalty is removed when? When the over-built condition is removed? That is, usually at the start of a new calendar year as the build limit is increased?

Thanks!
Well, yes and now to the last question. If the over-built condition is remedied by increased unit limits then, yes; because limit changes only occur at the start of the year. But; the over limit could be remedied by losing units; which in this case could occur at any time.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”